Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Request] Toggle

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Aug 25, 2012, 2:17:27 AM
First off let me explain one instance where I really need the ability to have a toggle.

For my new mod each type of life form has different smiley: fids for each planet this is done through Traits that are chosen. I also can set it up so the home planet is based on the Life Form. I preferably would also have it so that by choosing a trait you can set your home planet to be better or worse than default.

The problem is because each Life form has a different order of preference to planets you can't make a simple group of traits you need traits that will react to other traits.

Below is a simple example that couldgive two planet choices based on a different Trait (TraitToggle).

[CODE]

TraitLifeAmeobic

TraitLifeAmeobicHome1,TraitLifeAmeobicHome2

!TraitLifeHumanoid

%TraitLifeAmeobicTitle

%TraitLifeAmeobicDescription

TraitLifeAmeobicHome1" Family="TraitLife" Cost="0" Hidden="true">

TraitToggle

Good Planet

TraitLifeAmeobicHome2" Family="TraitLife" Cost="0" Hidden="true">

!TraitToggle

Great Planet

[/CODE]

But there is a problem, even with the tag, still gives you both Traits.

I request at the very least fixing this so that a trait that is blocked by can not be added through the tag. In addition some sort of if/and logic with traits would be awesome but if you only fix this feature toggles are possible.

Another option would be something like the following:

[CODE][/CODE]

This would allow you to dynamically change the trait menu based on other traits.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 26, 2012, 10:58:19 AM
And again I ran into a situation where I absolutely need the ability to code some sort of decision tree in regards to what gets passed on. I have a set of Life Form traits that decide what planets are best for each type of Life Form(trait) it even changes what FIDS are given for each planet and what your home planet is. This works great! however I also have a set of traits that change how the tech tree is structured and gives colonization tech in some cases to a faction.

The problem here is, traits deciding whether to give 3, 4 or 5 colonization tech based on traits works; traits changing the order or colonization tech you get also works, but as far as I can tell, there is no way to combine this currently. The only way I can think of doing this is to add a 0 point tech at the beginning of all trees that is required to get any tech so that on choosing any tech you will get all those prerequisite tech the next turn. But the problem here is of course you will only get those techs on turn 2 not at the beginning of the game, which is clunky at best.

Please could we have some decision making ability in coding here.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 27, 2012, 3:17:40 AM
I'm a little confused as to what your goal is. Are you trying to figure out a way such that every time you play a race they will have a different order of colonizable planets?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 27, 2012, 4:13:08 AM
Harel55 wrote:
I'm a little confused as to what your goal is. Are you trying to figure out a way such that every time you play a race they will have a different order of colonizable planets?

No as of right now I have the following implemented:

[TABLE="class:grid,width:1075"] Grade

smiley: fids Population% Happiness Humanoid

Insectoid Ameobic? Mechanoid Alpha Prime 10/10/10/10 0 15 Terran Arid Ocean Asteroid Alpha 12/4/4/12 0.9 10 Ocean Jungle Hydrogen Lava Alpha 4/12/12/4 0.9 10 Jungle Desert Jungle Barren Beta 6/6/6/6 0.8 0 Arid Terran Terran Methane Gamma 8/4/8/4 0.7 -5 Tundra Tundra Helium Helium Delta 4/8/4/8 0.7 -5 Desert Lava Methane Hydrogen Epsilon 2/2/2/2 0.6 -10 Arctic Ocean Arid Desert Zeta 0/8/8/8 0.5 -10 Asteroids Asteroids Asteroids Ocean Eta 0/4/12/4 0.5 -15 Barren Arctic Arctic Arctic Theta 0/12/4/4 0.5 -15 Lava Barren Tundra Tundra Kappa 0/20/2/2 0.3 -20 Methane Methane Lava Jungle Lambda 0/2/2/20 0.3 -20 Helium Helium Barren Terran Mu 2/2/20/0 0.3 -20 Hydrogen Hydrogen Desert Arid

[/TABLE]

Every green word is a trait that when you pick it changes the smiley: fids of planets to match the chart. This works and I also change the home planet now based on this instead of affinity. The problem comes into being with my Tech trees.

My tech trees are not static, each trunk(5 of them) has 3 levels; bad(-1), average(0) and good(1). These are chosen with traits that are exclusionary (you can only have one).

[TABLE="class:grid,width:1075"] Name Exploration Administration Communication Innovation Logistics Total Expansionists

[TD="align:right"]1[/TD]

[TD="align:right"]0[/TD]

[TD="align:right"]-1[/TD]

[TD="align:right"]1[/TD] Guardians

[TD="align:right"]1[/TD] Socialites

[TD="align:right"]1[/TD] Supremacists

[TD="align:right"]1[/TD] Technocrats

[/TABLE]

This in its self is fairly easy to do the problem comes into play when you combine the two because of colonization tech having to change not only based on the first traits but on the second as well. I do not know how to do this with the current system.

[CODE]

TraitTendencyExpansionists

TraitLifeHumanoidHome1,TraitTendencyExpansionistsAmoebic,TraitTendencyExpansionistsHumanoid,TraitTendencyExpansionistsInsectoid,TraitTendencyExpansionistsMechanoid

!TraitTendencySupreamists,!TraitTendencyTechnocrats,!TraitTendencySocialites,!TraitTendencyGuardians

%TraitTendencyExpansionistsTitle

%TraitTendencyExpansionistsDescription

TraitTechTrunkExplorPlusAmoebic,TraitTechTrunkAdminAvgAmoebic,TraitTechTrunkCommAvgAmoebic,TraitTechTrunkInnovNegAmoebic,TraitTechTrunkLogisPlusAmoebic,

TraitTendencyExpansionistsAmoebic

TraitTendencyExpansionists,!TraitLifeHumanoid,!TraitLifeInsectoid,!TraitLifeMechanoid

TraitTechTrunkExplorPlusHumanoid,TraitTechTrunkAdminAvgHumanoid,TraitTechTrunkCommAvgHumanoid,TraitTechTrunkInnovNegHumanoid,TraitTechTrunkLogisPlusHumanoid,

TraitTendencyExpansionistsHumanoid

TraitTendencyExpansionists,!TraitLifeAmoebic,!TraitLifeInsectoid,!TraitLifeMechanoid

[/CODE]

The problem is with "" it activates traits even if you could not activate them manually.

Take the above code without "" if you have Amoebic chosen (!TraitLifeHumanoid,!TraitLifeInsectoid,!TraitLifeMechanoid) then if you chose Expansionist it would only then let you choose "TraitTendencyExpansionistsAmoebic" not "TraitTendencyExpansionistsHumanoid" but with "" it will fire every subtrait even if they should not be able to be chosen.

Yes, technically, I could do all of this and have the player choose, but it would involve an inordinate amount of Traits which the player would have to choose in the correct order. This is not really an option as I see it.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment