Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Request] Command points at fleet level

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Aug 26, 2012, 4:40:53 PM
I tried the code below for heroes in my mod, it does show that the hero adds command points on the hero info screen but doesn't actually effect the fleet.

[CODE][/CODE]

I would really like to be able to do this at the fleet level for heroes, perhaps for ship modules as well, if there was a way to limit it per fleet, i.e. a command ship that increased the fleets command points by 2-4 points but was restricted to one of those module working per fleet,
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 26, 2012, 5:41:12 PM
As in you have tried it and it doesn't work? If so I know this.

Or

As in you suggested it and a dev said they would not add it? If so :9

Either way linkage would be appreciated because just randomly searching for your posts is futile.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 26, 2012, 7:50:33 PM
-> Is it possible to manipulate events such as WormHoleUnlock and MaxCommandPoint below the empire level, specifically at the ClassShip, ClassFleet and/or Module level?

no.

By design, it is the empire which say when you can go through wormhole or not. So our path finding manager use the empire property to see when your fleet can go through wormhole or not.

Based on my work with NumberOfWars being refered to below the ClassEmpire level, it should be easy to manipulate MaxCommandPoint from the ship level unfortunately that value will still be applied at an Empire level which means all your ships would recieve the bonuses rather than just the one ship/fleet. I've been wondering if it possible to create an independant variable for this but I suspect not.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 26, 2012, 10:28:41 PM
And there lies the problem Davea, had you read it intently you would notice that ThorTillas only references MaxCommandPoint points in quotes and never addresses it directly but talks a whole lot about "numberofwars" and "WormHoleUnlock".

ThorTillas wrote:
-> Is it possible to manipulate events such as WormHoleUnlock and MaxCommandPoint below the empire level, specifically at the ClassShip, ClassFleet and/or Module level?

no.

By design, it is the empire which say when you can go through wormhole or not. So our path finding manager use the empire property to see when your fleet can go through wormhole or not.

That is the closest he comes and it is fairly easy to take that statement as only referring to "WormHoleUnlock" in fact given that he never talks about "MaxCommandPoint" at any point later its hard to take it as referring to this at all.

The reasons I asked for a link is:

First, I can't find where a dev talks about this. So I am not sure what iblise limited response meant exactly so either an explanation or a direct link would help me understand what his response meant.

Second, I find if I give advise it is better to provide a link than to expect someone else to go searching for something I know a great deal about, after all since I know(theoretically) much more about what I gave advise about it should be much easier for me to find a link then for them too.

Not to mention if I wanted someone to follow my advise it behooves me to make the effort.

iblise wrote:
Based on my work with NumberOfWars being refered to below the ClassEmpire level, it should be easy to manipulate MaxCommandPoint from the ship level unfortunately that value will still be applied at an Empire level which means all your ships would recieve the bonuses rather than just the one ship/fleet. I've been wondering if it possible to create an independant variable for this but I suspect not.

Thank you for replying with an explanation.

I don't think this is the case because with my experience, it doesn't go to empire wide at all, even if addressed at fleet level (I modded this, and know it was working to some extent, because the hero info panel showed the hero gaining command points on its fleets, it just didn't actually do anything). So I don't think its the same problem as what ThorTillas was talking about.

0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 27, 2012, 12:23:01 AM
It is helpful to know how to use advanced search to find the link in case somebody is in a rush, and does not have time to search on their own. In modding, I find it unfortunately very common that an effect shows in a tooltip, but does not take effect in game, or the reverse. This is sometimes because the code which builds the tooltip looks at certain data structures to make the string; but the code which actually affects the game may look at different data structures: more ones, less ones, or just different ones. Stay patient, start slow, test everything.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 27, 2012, 2:51:48 AM
As I said before I highly suggest you read some of my threads regarding these subject, I've learned a lot from reading Ali's/davea/hupa's threads. My thread is back on the front page again, but after hours of pulling out my hair and on the verge of giving up, I finally was able to clone and manipulate ClassEmpire values from the ClassStarSystem level. Oh, and for the record, I can make a damn tooltip say literally anything lol... just doesn't mean that it will ever do it no matter much I beg, scream or plead. Its a huge misleading factor when learning to mod, the tooltip is good but my mod doesn't work why /cry

Take a peak at the thread, I posted some code I made on the fly, I think it should depending if I mangled the path horribly (or not) but the limitation is that everything still draws on the ClassEmpire MaxCommandPoint value which would be unforunately global across all fleets.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 27, 2012, 4:58:01 AM
I posted this in iblise's thread

Nycidian wrote:
Yes!!! great idea

[CODE]

[/CODE]

The above works, tried it with my mod and on a hero with 10 in Command (new stat, like labor or offense) they had -2.5 command points on that fleet.

This actually worked!

Up until 3 ships the fleet showed at 0/5 points, also it works when you have more than the allotted command points of ships. I was able to make a 7 ship fleet that was at 5/5, the only problem was that you could reassign your hero from a full fleet and you will have a 7/5 fleet.

The good news is you can not make a greater fleet by passing ships through a hero. What I mean is take a 7/5 fleet with hero (makes 5/5) and select 6 ships and make a new fleet that is 6/5. Unless you new fleet has that hero it will only let you make a 5/5 fleet. So I don't think this is too bad I'm just going to reduce CP to .1 per stat meaning even a high level hero (15+) will only get +2 points so at worst with the reduced hero reassign time a hero will be able to make a new fleet that is +2 CP per every 2 turns or so, sounds like an OK hero ability to me.

But thanks again for the idea.

So yes I have had success, in fact, with the access to custom pictures, I think I will be releasing my Hero mod revamp within the week perhaps.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment