Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Custom Faction Portrait

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Aug 25, 2012, 3:49:28 AM
How can I insert a jpeg picture from my computer to show in the faction potrait? For example, when choosing empire affinity I want my faction portrait to show a picture I downloaded from the internet, not the emperor. If you could instruct me step by step I would be greatful. Cheers!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 25, 2012, 3:56:45 AM
This feature was just released a few hours ago, but there is no information about how to use it. Please stay tuned.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 25, 2012, 8:04:37 AM
Thanks, I have just updated the game, however I can't find anything in-game that relates to custom portraits. If you find any info about this feature using xml files, please post!
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 26, 2012, 4:57:43 PM
Strangely, the dev team has not given any updates since the version was released Friday night France time. Perhaps they do not reply to the forums over the weekend. Please continue to stay tuned.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 26, 2012, 5:31:18 PM
i am also very interested in this. I have been waiting for some art asset changes we can finaly make.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 26, 2012, 9:06:49 PM
Oh ? No tuto on that ? Ok, let's do a (real) quick one.

Say you build up a custom faction (here a sample coming from the Terran part in Faction.xml)

What's important is that

[CODE]

%FactionNameTerTitle

%FactionTerDescription

Gui/DynamicBitmaps/Factions/terranLeaderSmall" Large="Gui/DynamicBitmaps/Factions/terranLeaderLarge" Wide="Gui/DynamicBitmaps/Factions/terranDescriptionWide"/>

AffinityTerran

TraitTechA02;TraitEconomy01Norm1;TraitAlignmentEvil;TraitEconomy09Norm1;TraitFleet04Norm2;TraitDefense01Norm2;TraitHero01Alt1

[/CODE]

You have to make those point to a folder in your mod root, with full path and extension.

For example if a make a mod "RavineInSpace", with The Ravines as a custom faction. In my Folder i decide to put those 3 images under "C:\user\docs\Endless Space\Modding\RavineInSpace\images\", the path will be images/ravineSmall, images/ravineLarge and images/ravineWide (because it will be a beautiful landscape, and jpg handles better than png pictures with a lot of random stuff in it, like a photo)

So far it only supports jpgs and png. And if remember well, the size are 32*32, 128*128, and 1920*1080 (can be lower though). I'll keep you posted in 10-12 hours when i'll be at work on monday.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 27, 2012, 12:27:48 AM
@ ravine, thanks for the tip. I suppose your filename is wrong, "docs\Endless Space\RavineInSpace" should be "docs\Endless Space\Modding\RavineInSpace". Correct?

Please make sure these instructions get put in some more permanent, public place. Please either tell us how to get the existing pictures out of the game data, or tell us that legal restrictions prevent it. The first project I want to do with this is to replace blue tech icons with race specific ones or just orange ones. I don't want to start with screenshots; that will have alignment and perhaps transparency problems.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 27, 2012, 1:40:56 AM
Wow that makes me happy, hoping (I'm going to test it) it will work on icons and such as well.

Edit: I just tried with hero abilities, and it does not work, I guessed it wouldn't but I wanted to try anyway.

Hopefully they add it soon.

Edit 2:AH hah!!

...the path will be images/ravineSmall.png, images/ravineLarge.png and images/ravineWide.jpg...

This is wrong, at least for hero icons do images/ravineSmall, images/ravineLarge or images/ravineWide no *.jpg or *.png

Edit 3:Oh yeah, it works!!!

Edit 4: Icon size Seems to be 64 (wide) x 32 (height)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 27, 2012, 2:53:17 AM
Honestly I saw the code Ravine posted before and assumed it didn't work to edit it. Thanks for the tips.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 27, 2012, 3:52:25 AM
Ravine wrote:
Oh ? No tuto on that ? Ok, let's do a (real) quick one.

Say you build up a custom faction (here a sample coming from the Terran part in Faction.xml)

What's important is that

[CODE]

%FactionNameTerTitle

%FactionTerDescription

Gui/DynamicBitmaps/Factions/terranLeaderSmall" Large="Gui/DynamicBitmaps/Factions/terranLeaderLarge" Wide="Gui/DynamicBitmaps/Factions/terranDescriptionWide"/>

AffinityTerran

TraitTechA02;TraitEconomy01Norm1;TraitAlignmentEvil;TraitEconomy09Norm1;TraitFleet04Norm2;TraitDefense01Norm2;TraitHero01Alt1

[/CODE]

You have to make those point to a folder in your mod root, with full path and extension.

For example if a make a mod "RavineInSpace", with The Ravines as a custom faction. In my Folder i decide to put those 3 images under "C:\user\docs\Endless Space\RavineInSpace\images\", the path will be images/ravineSmall.png, images/ravineLarge.png and images/ravineWide.jpg (because it will be a beautiful landscape, and jpg handles better than png pictures with a lot of random stuff in it, like a photo)

So far it only supports jpgs and png. And if remember well, the size are 32*32, 128*128, and 1920*1080 (can be lower though). I'll keep you posted in 10-12 hours when i'll be at work on monday.

Thank you very much smiley: biggrin will try later, have to go now -.- smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 27, 2012, 5:52:14 AM
davea wrote:
@ ravine, thanks for the tip. I suppose your filename is wrong, "docs\Endless Space\RavineInSpace" should be "docs\Endless Space\Modding\RavineInSpace". Correct?

Please make sure these instructions get put in some more permanent, public place. Please either tell us how to get the existing pictures out of the game data, or tell us that legal restrictions prevent it. The first project I want to do with this is to replace blue tech icons with race specific ones or just orange ones. I don't want to start with screenshots; that will have alignment and perhaps transparency problems.

(you were right and i've fixed my post).

On the tech side i'll provide as much infos as i can (resolution and format type). Though it's just 7.50 am and i'm drinking my morning coffee, so i cant check the game editor to retrieve those infos since i'm at home. smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 27, 2012, 7:21:46 AM
Ravine wrote:
(you were right and i've fixed my post).

On the tech side i'll provide as much infos as i can (resolution and format type). Though it's just 7.50 am and i'm drinking my morning coffee, so i cant check the game editor to retrieve those infos since i'm at home. smiley: wink

the path will be images/ravineSmall.png, images/ravineLarge.png and images/ravineWide.jpg

You might want to fix the *.png and *.jpg issue as well.

Also of note I found out that I was not able to replace icons for hero classes, on doing so the game freezes while loading.

[CODE]

%HeroClassAdministratorTitle

%HeroClassAdministratorDescription

Small="AdministratorSmall" Large="AdministratorLarge"/>

[/CODE]

Just a heads up.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 27, 2012, 7:33:09 AM
True that. I messed my memories. In an early version of the rework of that part, we considered using the extension files. That's not the case anymore though. We'll do a proper tutorial to wrap the basics of this part, with image specs and formats. It'll be available soon.
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment