Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

unable to create new battle card

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Aug 25, 2012, 3:45:14 AM
This business of being on the cutting edge of modding is getting painful. I have attempted to create a new battle card, but it is not working. I can add the tech, and the unlockable. The unlockable appears, but the game does not recognize that it is a battle card. It seems as if either the game has a hardcoded list of what can be battlecards, or there is an xml entry which I am missing.

I have modified the hissho tech tree to remove missiles, and add evasion cards. Unzip the attached file into Modding, to create a directory hissho-evasion. Load the mod "Hissho Evasion", start a new game as hissho, and look at the tech tree. I have changed the cost and icons of the missile line (Specialized Isotopes, Fusion Batteries). For each one, I removed the missile technology and added a new battle card. You can see the chameleon icon there. But, if you hover over the icon, it shows "TEMPORARY TOOLTIP" where it should be showing a card icon:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198027863335/screenshot/595853876471786955

I have added the battle card and the battle card descriptors. I know the battle card is loaded correctly because that is where the chameleon icon is referenced. If you select a hissho fleet and select "BATTLE ACTIONS", my new cards do not appear.

Is there something magic which makes a battle card unlockable actually work as a battle card? I cannot see anything different about the existing battle cards.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 25, 2012, 4:10:32 AM
I could be wrong but I thought there was a dev post regarding some huge number of checks they had to hardcode regarding battleactioncards or something along those lines
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 27, 2012, 3:19:44 PM
@davea: It took me a while to find where you were wrong and since you said "I know that the battle card is loaded correctly", I assumed...that you did that correctly.

But please when using custom files, make sure you reference the correct repositories in Index.xml. There's no magic there, if you don't reference your file...it won't show up.

You have to specify the BattleCard repository as such:

[CODE]

Simulation/he-battlecard.xml

[/CODE]
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 27, 2012, 3:42:48 PM
Thanks for pointing this out. File he-battlecard is present in my gui repository, so the icon and "some" tooltip show up. There are many different repositories. If a file is loaded into one repository, but not another where it is also required, it would be nice to have a consistency check to point this out. Instead, the game silently does the wrong thing. As you can clearly see, this causes modders to become frustrated.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 28, 2012, 6:16:34 AM
I had attempted to cut down the index.xml by removing "vanilla" repositories, and that led to my problem of failing to put my new file into all the needed repositories. So, new protip: don't remove repositories from index.xml. I now have hissho battle cards working. Now if only I had examples of the tech icons, so I could recolor the ones I need. You can't say "please be careful about icon transparency" and then expect us to use screenshots to make them.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 28, 2012, 9:46:04 AM
davea wrote:
I had attempted to cut down the index.xml by removing "vanilla" repositories, and that led to my problem of failing to put my new file into all the needed repositories. So, new protip: don't remove repositories from index.xml. I now have hissho battle cards working. Now if only I had examples of the tech icons, so I could recolor the ones I need. You can't say "please be careful about icon transparency" and then expect us to use screenshots to make them.

Posting here as well in answer to your query.

Nycidian wrote:
Perhaps because I'm fairly handy with graphics it seemed self evident to me that it would be a circle 64 px in diameter centered in a square 64x64. I tested this theory out with a circle that every pixel changed colors as it went inward and made sure every ring was visible, it was so yes what I said above is correct and here is a zip with a dummy black circle of the correct dimensions. Though I highly suggest learning to use Inkscape to work with vector graphics and scaling, its much easier.

TechCircle.zip
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment