Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Unconnected planets

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Oct 7, 2012, 8:39:46 AM
The_Flyingshovel wrote:
The sensor range issue can only be solved by Amplitude I gess.

Indeed. I'm hoping they'll implement it, as this would be beneficial for the gameplay.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 11, 2012, 1:38:23 AM
Warcaster wrote:
Dunno if this has been thought about so i'll ask it here. has anyone considered making a map that has several 'clusters' of stars wherein the stars are connected to each other in the cluster but the clusters are disconnected from each other.

I'm thinking mimicking a multiple galaxy scenario along the lines of the stargate universe smiley: smile

Sure, actually just delete the wormholes in the sample above and you sort of have that don't you, 7 independent and cut off clusters. As it relates to this topic in a straight game without a mod you'd have to at least do the visibility hack mentioned above to one single system in each independent cluster in order for you to ever have any battles or trade though I think. You wouldn't need to do it to each because long as the AI or you find the first you'll discover the rest if they are otherwise connected.

The more I ponder this the more I think you could accomplish this today. However with all my screwing around with game files I've not delved into the mod abilities\functions too much, if however the ability exists to create an added build-able technology (exists) that when 'built on a system' changed the system's visibility bits (?? calling all modding ninja's) of that system like I mentioned then yes you could accomplish your vision fairly easily I think. IE anyone that built said Stargate building basically just enabled themselves to be found and traveled too, the trade off being enabling trade vs. possible attack right? However note it would be one-way ie unless the other players have built the same. Also you may need to adjust the AI to know about the stargate tech and provide the AI with some logic about when to research and build such, given what I've heard about modding the AI that part sounds do-able at least in simple form. Now it would be even sweeter if one could enable the building to act like some sort of instant 'warp', but I'm not aware if that is possible at the moment.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 10, 2012, 8:51:48 PM
Dunno if this has been thought about so i'll ask it here. has anyone considered making a map that has several 'clusters' of stars wherein the stars are connected to each other in the cluster but the clusters are disconnected from each other.

I'm thinking mimicking a multiple galaxy scenario along the lines of the stargate universe smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 10, 2012, 8:14:23 PM
Ahhh gotcha, I thought you meant you made every system location visible.

smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 10, 2012, 7:45:32 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
Seeing all of the stars is still good, do the players also see the connections between them?

I don't know what you mean by "all of the stars" they only see the 4 disconnected ones in the center where I changed the visibility bits. No they don't see the connections till they 'explore' said system(s), once they do though like I said everything acts normally. BTW while I connected the 4 in the middle with warps\strings to each other there was no need too persay - it's just how I happen to build it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 10, 2012, 6:38:19 PM
Seeing all of the stars is still good, do the players also see the connections between them?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 10, 2012, 6:27:40 PM
davea wrote:
Interesting hack! Does this mean that all the players can see the star, even before being in sensor range? Or is the star invisible till a ship is nearby?

davea,

Yup the way I setup that sample all players can 'see' that the star is there (if you load it, you can see 4 blue dots in the middle of the map - everyone sees this), you can't see more than that till you have the tech to send a ship there and explore them. The systems otherwise acts 'normal'. The thing is if you don't make them visible like this you don't have a destination that the game can recognize to let you 'send' the ship, as free-flight doesn't exist which is the limiter for any other method at the moment in my opinion.

playerbits:

Player1 = 1

Pirates = 2

Player2 = 4

Player3 = 8

Player4 = 16

Player5 = 32

Player6 = 64

Player7 = 128

Player8 = 256
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 10, 2012, 3:05:40 PM
Interesting hack! Does this mean that all the players can see the star, even before being in sensor range? Or is the star invisible till a ship is nearby?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 10, 2012, 5:48:17 AM
Maybe there is a way to reveal those system from the beginning or when you get in sensor range.

Been doing it the following way since release time frame without sensors:

What you want to do is set the visibility bits for the system in question to the bits of the player you want it visible too, unlike in early betas the AI will, once it has the tech to leave the strings, find the planets and colonize etc.

Sample game attached where I added 4 disconnect systems at the center of the map to a 6 player game, each can see the bluestar systems but can't get there to 'explore' and 'visit' till they have the right tech.

Sample game file setting for said systems (64-67) from game/galaxy/ at turn_0

Order of Orion - Begin_turn0b.zip
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 5, 2012, 3:49:34 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to alter the galaxy generator settings to create unconnected planets (accessible only through free travel).

It seems far more complicated than I thought. I've read the galaxy generator explained but didn't venture into the sources. I researched the forum but didn't find anything.

I think this change could left systems to colonize in the late game and offer the opportunity to seize advanced position in enemy territory if you research the correct technology before them.

If somebody has an idea on how to to it, I will be gratefull. I continue my investigations in the meantime.

Cheers.

The Flyingshovel
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 7, 2012, 8:24:27 AM
Dagobert you're a true hero.

Thanks a lot.

The sensor range issue can only be solved by Amplitude I gess.

Cheers
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 6, 2012, 1:14:55 PM
But first we need to wait till we can reveal starsystems by getting them into sensorrange.

Which is what I couldn't do.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 6, 2012, 10:53:52 AM
the alternative galaxy generator can do it.

And it´s already was planned.

But first we need to wait till we can reveal starsystems by getting them into sensorrange.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 6, 2012, 9:51:52 AM
I already tried this a while ago TFS, its not possible with the current galaxy generation software available to modders.

EDIT: Correction, I wasn't able to do it. I was going to make a suggestion in the "Game Design Suggestion" forums like this but I got sidetracked.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 6, 2012, 9:42:10 AM
Maybe there is a way to reveal those system from the beginning or when you get in sensor range.

This problem will have to be solved after step 1. But my investigation are slowed by my two kids. =)

Cheers
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 5, 2012, 4:11:33 PM
Unfortunately systems can only be revealed by getting to a connecting one....witch is impossible for a island of systems.

I still feel like sensors should at leas revel their location if not their contents.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 5, 2012, 4:06:49 PM
I would really like to see maps where this idea is used. This could create some kind of "continents"-maps.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment