Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

How to get 0 Planets in a system?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Oct 30, 2012, 2:00:37 AM
I was attempting to modify planet generation to have some systems without planets. It seemed to be possible by adding weight to PlanetNumberProbability, but it didn't work. Anything else I have to do? Maybe I'm missing something. I modified this line between 1 and 8 and made sure the option was chosen in the generator and tried a couple times but it didn't seem to work.

If anyone has gotten this to work, or there is a working mod for this already, I'd love to take a look at it. Thanks
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 30, 2012, 2:03:13 AM
I have absolutely no experience with modding, so take this with a grain of salt, but:

1) Does probability need to be more than 0?

2) Is it possible for the probability to exceed 100%? As in, if there were a 25% chance of having 1 planet, 25% chance of having 2, 25% chance of having 3, and 25% chance of having 4, then you may never see a system with 0 planets no matter how high the probability is. Is this the case?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 30, 2012, 4:16:07 AM
Fenrakk101 wrote:
I have absolutely no experience with modding, so take this with a grain of salt, but:

1) Does probability need to be more than 0?

2) Is it possible for the probability to exceed 100%? As in, if there were a 25% chance of having 1 planet, 25% chance of having 2, 25% chance of having 3, and 25% chance of having 4, then you may never see a system with 0 planets no matter how high the probability is. Is this the case?

Sigh. The question was for the people who actually have the answer. I appreciate the ideas, but I tried several things. The probability is a weight. Yes, of course I raised it higher than 0. I can manipulate the xml successfully to get different balances of 1-6 planets, but all the xml for 0 planets was weighted at 0, so I tried raising it in the hopes of getting empty stars. It didn't work. That is why I'm asking if anyone else has tried it. And no, based on what I've seen of how the weight system works, you can't exceed 100% because the probability is not a percent, it is a fraction of the total weights of the different options available. This won't make any sense to you without looking at the xml in question in the planet generation code. My best guess is the xml supports the possibility of 0 planets, but it isn't implemented in the galaxy generation code right now. Just hoping someone has the answer.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 30, 2012, 12:37:11 PM
Why do you want a system with 0 planets??

The game will bomb with an array index issue if you were successful in getting the galaxy gen to do what you want. It's why my map editor prevents the user from deleting the last planet in a system. If you've found a way to get the game to load with a system with zero planets though I would like to know about it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 30, 2012, 4:20:00 PM
KnightHawk wrote:
Why do you want a system with 0 planets??

The game will bomb with an array index issue if you were successful in getting the galaxy gen to do what you want. It's why my map editor prevents the user from deleting the last planet in a system. If you've found a way to get the game to load with a system with zero planets though I would like to know about it.

Well, that explains why it doesn't work. I obviously don't want it to crash the game. Thanks for the info.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 3, 2012, 11:43:12 AM
Cykur wrote:
Well, that explains why it doesn't work. I obviously don't want it to crash the game. Thanks for the info.

May I enquire, Cykur, why you wanted to create empty systems? Just for a laugh or because of some lore idea?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 6, 2012, 8:57:36 AM
n18991c wrote:
May I enquire, Cykur, why you wanted to create empty systems? Just for a laugh or because of some lore idea?

Strategic issues, I think - but Cykur is right, when it's done via Array, it will cause massive problems! smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 9, 2012, 10:34:00 AM
n18991c wrote:

Just thought it would be interesting to have an empty system now and then. Stars don't always need planets. I've kind of come up with my own solution by putting a little more weight on the low side of the scale with "less planets" and increasing the prevalence of asteroids. It creates a little more "no man's land" between good star systems, but it is purely personal preference.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 10, 2012, 1:33:40 AM
Cykur wrote:
Just thought it would be interesting to have an empty system now and then. Stars don't always need planets. I've kind of come up with my own solution by putting a little more weight on the low side of the scale with "less planets" and increasing the prevalence of asteroids. It creates a little more "no man's land" between good star systems, but it is purely personal preference.

That's probably a good solution. True, stars don't need to have planets, but I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a real life system that doesn't even have asteroids.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment