Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Steam Workshop

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Nov 20, 2012, 2:58:26 AM
Just a curious thought and not sure where else to post this question/suggestion.

Has the development team ever considered Steam Workshop for the modding community?

I do know there are limitations to the Workshop, most of them I'm clueless about... but found in some games I have that it works wonderfully for a distribution system for modders. Another thought is the use of the Curse Client as a distribution and installation system. smiley: smile

(Which through the end of the month you can get a free 1yr premium account through an Alienware promotion on Alienware's website)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 20, 2012, 10:05:34 AM
We might require a slightly more active modding community for Steam Workshop to be a viable solution - but it's a method that could certainly work. It makes finding and installation of mods a LOT easier for novice users.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 22, 2012, 8:37:07 AM
Yeah, ease of use is a big one. And one of the only concerns I have with it (Modded .exe files) isn't a concern with Endless Space, because it's so new there's no need to modify the core file. It would be nice, but as Evil said, we'd need a substantial modding community first. Not to beat a dead horse, but a proper SDK would practically be a necessity before Steam Workshop even becomes a consideration.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 22, 2012, 8:46:21 AM
EvilTactician wrote:
We might require a slightly more active modding community for Steam Workshop to be a viable solution - but it's a method that could certainly work. It makes finding and installation of mods a LOT easier for novice users.

Well for providing the Mods, the Steam-Workshop is much better, thats right - but everyone being able to start Steam and a Game should (hopefully) be able to copy-paste a Mod into a directory. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 22, 2012, 9:05:12 AM
Tredecim wrote:
Well for providing the Mods, the Steam-Workshop is much better, thats right - but everyone being able to start Steam and a Game should (hopefully) be able to copy-paste a Mod into a directory. smiley: smile

You would be surprised :P
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 22, 2012, 9:16:54 AM
EvilTactician wrote:
You would be surprised :P

Well I know, that why i said *hopefully* smiley: stickouttongue

There are always some.. exceptions ^^
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 22, 2012, 9:24:33 PM
Tredecim wrote:
There are always some.. exceptions ^^

Like me for example... but it's laziness rather than inability to c&p which prevents me from becoming active... smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 22, 2012, 9:26:50 PM
n18991c wrote:
Like me for example... but it's laziness rather than inability to c&p which prevents me from becoming active... smiley: stickouttongue

so, explain me then, how you made more than 1.100 posts smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 22, 2012, 9:30:03 PM
Tredecim wrote:
so, explain me then, how you made more than 1.100 posts smiley: stickouttongue

Well I assume that this godlike feat was only possible because I did not c&p but rather permitted my extremely charming, funny and witty attitude to - just for once - overcome my laziness! smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 22, 2012, 9:31:30 PM
n18991c wrote:
Well I assume that this godlike feat was only possible because I did not c&p but rather permitted my extremely charming, funny and witty attitude to - just for once - overcome my laziness! smiley: stickouttongue

Interesting - maybe we should motivate your attitude to do c&p too? smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 23, 2012, 6:49:00 AM
Tredecim wrote:
Interesting - maybe we should motivate your attitude to do c&p too? smiley: stickouttongue

Nah, too lazy... and others might complain about reading the same posts everywhere... smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 23, 2012, 8:15:05 AM
n18991c wrote:
Nah, too lazy... and others might complain about reading the same posts everywhere... smiley: stickouttongue

copy, paste, edit - like the modders do smiley: stickouttongue

btw: warning: teaching parents/grandparents the internet might lead to serious braindamage <.<
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 24, 2012, 11:18:26 PM
Tredecim wrote:
copy, paste, edit - like the modders do smiley: stickouttongue

btw: warning: teaching parents/grandparents the internet might lead to serious braindamage <.<

Glad my parents are gone... I'm drainbamaged enough!

EDIT: Just something I came across a few moments ago in a sticky (Yeah, I do read them sometimes...)

AmpliMath wrote:

Concerning the packaging and delivery of mods, that is also a subject we have not started yet. I think users will have first to download files and place them in a special directory, but we can look into Steam Workshop to ease up installations and updates. This will take more time though.

So, it looks like Steam Workshop IS on the table though just not at the moment and a little further down the road.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment