Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Adding ships into ES "HELP"

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Oct 26, 2012, 11:20:07 PM
I was hoping if anyone could post a thread showing , step by step , how to add ship models into the game. I have read the tutorial by ravine but that didn't help it just confused me more.I have models waiting to be exported ,i just need know what txt i add and where.

Any help will be appreciated.

P.S I'm not a very good at modding.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 26, 2012, 11:50:43 PM
while I do not know about adding models, you do know how to add the ships code yea? Either by modifying an original or making a new one.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 27, 2012, 1:37:02 AM
Do you have a model you want to add? Or do you also want a step by step tutorial on how to create a model? That may be quite a challenge. The only guide available today is Ravine's, and AFAIK no modder has done it successfully yet.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 27, 2012, 9:03:08 AM
I have models ready so that's sorted. I can make the mod folder for it to go in (my documents) but I have no idea what to do after that as in adding code to Index.xml or where ever you put it. So basically i need help coding the ship into the game. And when i said ravine i meant to write LoiCus- sorry.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 27, 2012, 2:02:43 PM
Everything goes into the template folder as per the tutorial from there it becomes a bit more difficult. What I did to test my models was to rename them into the Anna-V and launched the game. If they worked then things were good. What I believe has to be done is edit the hull.xml
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 2, 2012, 10:49:31 PM
Unless you know the index.xml pathways. it's like playing darts in the dark.

(ex. One pathway released in guide )

I would have liked to change the factions base ships to include the pirate vessels but it's not user friendly to say the least. It's pretty easy changing small things but to play with the models it's next to impossible. It's a cute game too bad they are so slow(or not going to regards to models) with letting us mod it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 7, 2012, 9:28:26 PM
Hello kaidishart,

I succeeded very recently to implement a new model of my own in endless space.

I will try to explain you how I have done it.

I assume that you already generated the finalized model named "testship" for this example, and have generated a mod file (named "yourmod" for this example) by copying public folder in the Endless space folder of your document folder.

So you should dispose of 3 files :

- testship.obj

- testship.mtl

- testshiptexture.jpg

First :

Copy/paste these three files in the following folder you may have to create :

C:\Users\XXX\Documents\Endless Space\Modding\yourmod\Templates\Ships

Second :

Open your .mtl file (using notepad), you should have this kind of code :

# Blender MTL File: 'croiseur2.blend'

# Material Count: 1

newmtl texturetest

Ns 96.078431

Ka 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000

Kd 0.800000 0.800000 0.800000

Ks 0.500000 0.500000 0.500000

Ni 1.000000

d 1.000000

illum 2

map_Kd testshiptexture.jpg

note that it can be slightly different if you used another 3d program, like 3dsmax, but you should find also this kind of lines.

The name of your material (here "texturetest") is the one you specified in your 3d program, and not necessary the name of your texture file.

What is important as far as I know with this .mtl file :

- The name of the .mtl file MUST be the same as the .obj and MUST remain unchanged since you exported and created the .obj file.

Otherwise, the command line in the .obj file which point to the .mtl file will not work.

- map_Kd (it can also be map_Ka) mention the texture file path relative to this .mtl file. So, you may have to correct it according to the final name and path of your texture file.

Third :

Open your index.xml file (using notepad), you will have to create these lines :

Simulation/Term.xml

New lines to enter

Prefabs/Spaceships/Terran/SS_Terran_Medium_B

Templates/Ships/testship

End of new lines

You have also to change the beginning of this file as for any new mod (if you need it, I can detail).

Start your game and choose your mod, then create a party with united empire and your model should have replaced the scout model... If not... well... it worked for me... so it should work for you... I think...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 7, 2012, 9:44:18 PM
thank you this seems helpful. I have exams soon so when i have time i will test this.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 10, 2012, 12:15:47 AM
I found some time to test it. It didn't work but it was on my end i think. After enabling the mod when it loads back it says "argument out of range" what does this mean ?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 10, 2012, 1:36:51 AM
I never had any error message. When it's not working for me, it generally blocks at the throne room loading screen without notice.

Just an idea, did you compare your model size with the example one ? (Anna_V)

If you want, you can send me your files so I can take a look onto and see if I find something to fix.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 10, 2012, 4:24:46 PM
I was mucking about with mods and checking if they worked and all of a sudden mods wont load the game just crashes. I have tried the already made mods and still the game crashes. I verified mt game files on steam and it always says 1 file missing but the base game can load ?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 11, 2012, 11:43:08 PM
If you mean that a clean installation of the "customplanetsandshipst mod" crashes your game, I would suggest you to re-install the game from 0 (you may have done it already).

If problems persists, I'm sorry but I think my knowledge is really to basic to help you on this.

I would suggest to create a subject dedicated to this issue and ask for help to the dev. team in the title. You may also write a pm to Ravine who made the customplanetsandships mod...

Good luck, and please keep me updated with further developpements of your problem !
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 1, 2012, 12:46:29 AM
I know this has been a while but i have had exams the last week. I decided to try this again and to my amazement it worked ,kinda. The only problem is that the texture wont load and the model is just white ,is there something Ive done wrong ?
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment