Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Modding Help - Simple changes not working!

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Dec 9, 2012, 4:09:36 PM
I was just playing around and trying to make it so that the Faction Traits only cost 1 point each ... so I copied the Index.xml file into [C:\Users\Anthony\Documents\EndlessSpace\Modding\MyMod] and then copied the Simulation folder into the same directory, changed the index to read my mod name, etc (and set StandAlone=False), and started to edit FactionTrait.xml. The problem I'm running into is that even though I've edited all values to [Cost="1"] and my mod loads up just fine (or at least it shows up in the bottom left corner), none of the costs have changed! They're still all 5, 10, 15, etc.

Am I missing something?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2012, 5:44:48 PM
You will probably have to name your FactionTrait.xml to something unique, and then rename all instances of FactionTrait.xml in your Index.xml to match your uniquely named one.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2012, 6:07:53 PM
I don't think that this is the case. I've used the original names for very long until I noticed that that ain't actually how it's supposed to be done.

You could try if it is a loading issue by editing the original FactionTraits.xml (make a backup before).

If that works, then something goes wrong with loading.

I've had issues like that aswell in the past, don't remember which files caused those. But it was just: Some files are loaded, others aren't but you don't get a warning. The game just loads the original files then.

If editing the original file doesn't work either, it might be an issue with the editing program.

I always use "Notepad++" for editing and Total-Commander's file comparison for merging.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2012, 6:12:32 PM
ZZGashi wrote:
You will probably have to name your FactionTrait.xml to something unique, and then rename all instances of FactionTrait.xml in your Index.xml to match your uniquely named one.

Thats what I would do.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2012, 10:31:41 PM
Since Ail brought it up, check your output log file and see if there are any errors with your files. It could be something such as missing a closing tag somewhere, I have had that happen to me before in my Endless Genetics mod.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 11, 2012, 12:44:39 AM
Well, I'm using Notepad++, so there's no issue there ... as for the loading thing, maybe? I used the work around (for now) of just setting up a custom faction (through Fraction.xml) and giving them what I wanted (again, for now).

I'll try the suggestion of renaming my FactionTrait and editing the original ... though how do I edit the Index to look at my new FactionTrait? I've just started editing. smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 11, 2012, 4:55:35 AM
Ail wrote:
I don't think that this is the case. I've used the original names for very long until I noticed that that ain't actually how it's supposed to be done.

You could try if it is a loading issue by editing the original FactionTraits.xml (make a backup before).

If that works, then something goes wrong with loading.

I've had issues like that aswell in the past, don't remember which files caused those. But it was just: Some files are loaded, others aren't but you don't get a warning. The game just loads the original files then.

If editing the original file doesn't work either, it might be an issue with the editing program.

I always use "Notepad++" for editing and Total-Commander's file comparison for merging.

This is actually the case. I renamed the files to unique names and nothing changed, but changing the base file did the trick. Now I'm just going to try moving all the public files over and then editing it to see if it makes a difference.

Edit: So I moved all the files and now my mod simply won't load ... it just exits the game. >.<

Edit II: Got the Mod manager and was able to start my mod just fine, however I'm having the same exact problem. The faction I added loads fine, but my edit for everything to cost 1 point did not load at all. smiley: frown

Edit III: Got it! What I did was back-up my original FractionTrait and replace the modified one into the Endless Space (not Modding folder) and got several errors when I treated to create a faction - so it got me thinking. I re-did my FactionTrait edits and now it's working perfectly. I guess I messed something up by mistake. smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment