Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Hologram and Mod thumbnails?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Dec 28, 2012, 9:52:13 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction (or post a link to an example) to edit the hologram picture found in the diplomacy screen? I've already gotten a new faction into the game, but after an hour going through google and the forums I can't find anything on the hologram image.

Similarly, I've yet to see a mod use thumbnails like the vanilla game has on the mod screen. When I tried adding some of my own it showed up as a series of question marks making me think the game is not successfully finding the directory the images are stored in.

Any thoughts on either?

Cheers,

J
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 28, 2012, 11:22:32 PM
You cannot mod the holograms yet. For thumbnails, I think if you follow the guides in the sticky threads in this forum, you should be able to get the right image format and filename. Look in the existing xml files to find working examples.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 29, 2012, 2:38:05 AM
Hi davea,

Thanks for replying. I've already gone through all of the available documentation, that's why I'm asking smiley: smile

I'm currently using the thumbnails that are included the public folder, and by default they should work. (Then again, I found faction images would only work if I put them into a DynamicBitmaps folder, but then there was at least some suggestion of that from the xml).

I'll have a play around with it some further.

Cheers,

J
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 29, 2012, 6:41:51 PM
To add a thumbnail image to your mod follow these instructions

Create a 228x128 .jgp image for your thumbnail.

Create a folder named Gui in you mod folder.

Place your image in that folder

open index.xml and place

Gui/Thumbnail-01.jpg

Below

General

but Above

Like this

General

Gui/Thumbnail-01.jpg

It appears the game supports 4 thumbnails so you can place them one after the other like

Gui/Thumbnail-01.jpg

Gui/Thumbnail-02.jpg

Gui/Thumbnail-03.jpg

Gui/Thumbnail-04.jpg

Gui/Thumbnail-05.jpg

Whether the game can handle more or larger thumbnails or other formats I have not experimented with that.

As a side note you can put other tags in place of General for the Tag so if you did a faction modification you could replace General with Factions, alternatively you could use Heroes, Combat, Balancing, Galaxy, or Others, in its place which affects how the mod is sorted in the modding screen.

Cheers!

~Crymson~
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 29, 2012, 8:52:55 PM
Well in that post, which is where I always look first when looking for new info, they cover alot of things including how to add hero portraits and tech icons, I don't see any info on setting the thumbnails for a custom mod however.

The instructions I gave above only cover the little thumbnail images that appear when you look at a mod in game, to date I have yet to see a mod that actually uses custom thumbnails but I have tested the procedure I listed and it works a treat.

If there is anything I can add to the info feel free to ask and of course I'm sure you can clean it up and make it more concise, I don't always give the most understandable instructions. :-P

~Crymson~
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 30, 2012, 12:45:56 AM
Hi Crymson,

I really appreciate the response, but unfortunately this does not work for me. By default when you create a mod by copying the entire (bar 2 or 3 files) public folder across to a Modding directory, the index file already includes the XML you are talking about. e.g.

General

Gui/Thumbnail-01.jpg

Gui/Thumbnail-02.jpg

Gui/Thumbnail-03.jpg

Gui/Thumbnail-04.jpg

Gui/Thumbnail-05.jpg

%ModName

%ModDescription

It also contains the GUI folder with a bunch of thumbnails included already.

You said that you tested this and it worked - are you using the UK steam version? I don't think I'm missing anything. Would it be at all possible for you to post a working .rar file of your working solution? At least this way we can figure out whether it is a) I'm stupid or b) that it is a bug.

Cheers,

J
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 30, 2012, 1:26:05 AM
Here ya go, Drop the galgen directory from the zip directly into your modding directory and fire up endless space. When you locate the mod in your mods list you should see that the thumbnails all have TEST written across them.

I just edited the existing thumbnails in the GUI folder of the mod to show that they can be modified there is no reason you cant create replacement .jpg files and stick them in there to have your own personalized thumbnails.

I use Steam in the US but I can't imagine the game loads mods any differently.

thumbnailtest.zip

~Crymson~
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 30, 2012, 3:58:35 AM
You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.

You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Doh, another road block! Davea, can you help me get access to this please?

Also giant thanks for posting this so promptly Crymson. I only have a couple of days to break all of the non art tasks before going back to work smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 30, 2012, 4:03:00 AM
1. Log out and log in again

2. Try a different browser (IE vs firefox, etc)

3. Clear your browser cookies.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 31, 2012, 3:00:39 PM
4. I did all of those and it didn't work. Instead I waited a day and it appears to have fixed itself - either that or it took 24 hours for my game registration to fix to the forums.

Thanks again for making that upload. I've included a screenshot of the problem below. So I think it's safe to say that it is a bug. I'll send it to some friends and see if they can see the thumbnails to try and deduce whether it's system specific or other.

0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 31, 2012, 3:52:20 PM
If you believe you have found a bug, please zip and attach your mod to a post, so we can see. Since Crymson seems to have thumbnails working, perhaps there is another way to do it which does work.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 31, 2012, 4:53:14 PM
I'm using Crymson's mod which works for him, but does not for me. He included a link in his post.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 31, 2012, 5:05:00 PM
Well I just tested mine again from scratch by downloading my own file and it works fine.

I also tried deleting the image files from the GUI folder and what you get is just a blank bar at the bottom not black squares with broken image icons that say Thumbnail.

What I would guess is it is some kind of issue with the file format on your install, it seems unlikely but it almost looks like your version of ES doesn't recognize .jpg image files.

Sorry I couldn't find a solution for you, the method is sound and functional and I have little doubt it should work for others if you built your images to spec as described but you apparently wouldn't be able to verify it.

Good Luck.

~Crymson~
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 31, 2012, 6:27:13 PM
All the same, thanks for all of the fast and responsive feedback both of you!

I'm going to go and test on two other systems during the week, and hopefully I can figure out what the issue is.

As for tonight, happy new year smiley: stickouttongue

Cheers,

J
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment