Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Check for savegame reload?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jan 10, 2013, 8:12:26 AM
Is there any way to check a savegame if it has been reloaded, meaning no more loading than the first load to start the game? This could be very usefull for games where you all play the same savegame scenario and compare each other for how well you did, say a science victory, without cheating with reloading if the result did not go your way.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 10, 2013, 3:36:58 PM
Knighthawk knows the most about the savegame format, but I am not aware of anything in the savegame which says how many times it has been loaded, or how many times another save game was loaded before this one.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 10, 2013, 3:44:19 PM
Thank you for replying. I am saddened to hear this probably cannot be done but I will try to figure out a consept where cheating is not possible, perhaps multiplayer games where both report the result, and then making it into a "map war" that you can say in one month play a scenario in mp and who wins it makes who conquer one part of the map then moving on to the next part of the map for the next scenario etc.

But ideally it would be very fun if we all had the same scenario to play and load once and try and see how well we did and then we could compare to each other.

Perhaps in the future Endless space could have an "iron man" mode where you cannot reload a game and have to quit to save.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 10, 2013, 6:50:23 PM
I PM'ed Eysteinh with a little more detail but davea is correct Nope, there isn't any such value nor method to detect this for his purpose.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 10, 2013, 7:47:10 PM
Eysteinh wrote:
But ideally it would be very fun if we all had the same scenario to play and load once and try and see how well we did and then we could compare to each other.
That is an excellent idea. Please see a number of sessions like this from the springtime:

http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/group.php?groupid=80

If you play by the "honor system" and keep it fun instead of competitive, you do not need any new capabilities in the game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 10, 2013, 8:42:36 PM
Yes that is among other things my inspiration. Also things like gauntlet / game of the month in civ5 or also my old civ clan who used to have savegame challange." I know in civ3 -4 5 it is possible to check the savegame so that you can have a fair competition.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 10, 2013, 8:59:07 PM
My feeling is that no matter how hard you try to make something uncheatable, a motivated player will find a way to cheat anyhow. You have to find a group you can trust, and agree to eject anybody who is caught cheating.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 13, 2013, 8:18:54 PM
There is an option when you make a game that is supposed to use the number that is used to create the map for random stuff in the game. Not sure if it is only used for random events or everything random (Can't remember the name it uses and can't load the game to check right now)

This is similar to what Firaxis used in Civ4 and in XCOM to prevent the reload exploit in games like that.

EDIT:

davea wrote:
My feeling is that no matter how hard you try to make something uncheatable, a motivated player will find a way to cheat anyhow. You have to find a group you can trust, and agree to eject anybody who is caught cheating.

And yes even in these games there were ways that you could manipulate the outcomes, taking the negative results in the most advantageous ways possible.

EDIT2: Map Seed is what I was talking about.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment