Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[noob question] Mod with new trait(s)

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Feb 2, 2013, 8:47:52 PM
[Thefirstquestionwasaboutmodrefusingtoloadatall.Solution:don'tusespacesinmoddirectoryname.]

Here's another question: is it possible to make a new trait family (for example, if I want to make a load of traits and pack them all under a single category), and, if so, how do I do it?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 2, 2013, 9:47:25 PM
you will find a file localization/english/Localization_Locales.xml, put your text information there,

e.g. :

change Quality Over Quantity to QualityOverQuantity

then in Localization_Locales.xml write down follow:

Quality Over Quantity

do the same for all your and and be careful it's case sensitive.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 2, 2013, 10:46:06 PM
Heh, it all was way simpler. You don't actually have to make (fake) localizations, the only two things in the mod were:

a) modded files shared the name with game's originals.

b) mod directory had a space in its name. Yes, I'm not mistaken. If I put a space in a working mod's name (like, GenLab), it won't load, either. Odd.

Now for my next question; updating the first post.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 3, 2013, 7:31:07 AM
Good point. I guess I'll make another tutorial to basic modding, as the existing one's not entirely correct.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 3, 2013, 6:03:36 PM
Hisu wrote:
Good point. I guess I'll make another tutorial to basic modding, as the existing one's not entirely correct.
If you find any small errors in the existing tutorial for basic modding, please point them out. Since most people will look into that sticky thread, let us correct it there.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 3, 2013, 7:39:22 PM
It's not an error, actually, it's small yet important stuff a newbie may have to figure out for hours. Like, my original problem with launching mods: nothing ever said the spaces in mod directory names may prevent them from loading. This glitch might even not reproduce: I suspect my cyrillic locale is partly to blame. Also, I can point out that the layout of index.xml is not described in detail I feel it should (for instance, what do repository references mean? When and how should you use them or not?).

Ah, and I only read from some reply here on forum, that, if you make a non-standalone mod, you should change the file names - tutorial doesn't cover that, too.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 3, 2013, 8:40:59 PM
If a mod with spaces in the name will not load, that is a bug; can you confirm it? I am pretty sure the dev team does not expect modders to add new filenames. That is not "needed" for modding and it does not really help much anyway. For a very specific type of minor mod, it may be possible to add a new file without changing an old file, but in general if you add a new file you have to change other files anyway. Perhaps an "advanced modding" or "modding suggestions" thread could mention adding new filenames. If you are not adding new filenames, you do not need to worry about the repository values.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 3, 2013, 9:22:19 PM
Hm, how do I confirm mod not loading? There's nothing about it in output_log.txt (though maybe I don't know what to look for), and the game shows the mod in the list, but when I click load, it restarts with only the base loaded; even if/when I run it with +mod my mod option. Might make a video of this, in a while.

About filenames — yes, you're right. I just checked again, and it runs with normal names and sample index.xml, indeed. Sorry to mention it. Though the directory name glitch remains. Should I send you an output_log.txt?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 4, 2013, 1:58:17 AM
If your mod directory does have spaces, and you are putting this into the steam launch option dialog, then you should probably use quotes:

+mod "my mod with spaces"

Does that work? Launching mods from the mod menu in the game should not care whether there are spaces in the directory name.

The only thing to look for in the output_log.txt file is to search for the string "Modding". Any error which comes from loading a mod will have that string.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 4, 2013, 9:46:15 AM
Yes, it does load with quote marks around the name. But it still doesn't launch a mod with spaces in its directory name from main menu. The game sees it, displaying its name, version, description and release notes. Quote from output_log.txt:

[CODE][Modification] Select('Balance'), path not found: 'C:\Documents and Settings\Hisu\Мои документы/Endless Space/Modding/Balance'.[/CODE]

My OS is Windows XP, my locale is Russian. Mod name is "Balance Traits".
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 4, 2013, 3:55:08 PM
That is interesting. Suppose you have the same mod, with the same cyrillic characters, but you remove the spaces from the directory name. Then does it load? This will help us understand if the problem is the cyrillic characters alone.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 4, 2013, 5:26:45 PM
My mod directory's name is "Balance traits", without cyrillic characters. Those are from "My Documents" localized directory name "Мои Документы", so I can't change it. But the glitch persists no matter the mod directory language: it loads without spaces (even if it's in cyrillic characters) and doesn't load if there are spaces and no quote marks (with quote marks, it does load).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 4, 2013, 7:21:10 PM
OK, so there is no bug to be fixed. Consider this line in the steam options:

-mod foo -bar

How shall any tool know whether the mod directory is "foo" or "foo -bar"? Quotes are needed to parse the command line properly.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 4, 2013, 10:50:21 PM
davea, but it still won't load the mod from the in-game mods menu.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 5, 2013, 4:51:40 PM
Hisu wrote:
[Thefirstquestionwasaboutmodrefusingtoloadatall.Solution:don'tusespacesinmoddirectoryname.]

I had problem with my mod not showing up in game, at the problem was with my name (don't use special characters, the game don't like them).
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment