Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

A modding question for the devs (if any can answer).

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Mar 18, 2013, 3:36:55 PM
I have created a new combat card for my mod (Fair fight) that is meant to increase the number of missiles fired in that round. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work, at least the part where more missiles are fired. Tried to do it by increasing "NumberPerSalve", but multiplying or adding to it don't seem to have any effect. I'm stumbled, can't make it work and i fear i will have to drop the idea; i am wondering if there is another way to do it or is it impossible to do under 1.0.65?
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 18, 2013, 9:18:02 PM
iblise wrote:
What exactly are you trying to do? Just increase the salvo, or have multiple launches?

Mainly the salvo, but multiple launches would be cool as well. I have a feeling something is broken with the "NumberPerSalve", or that it may not work with missiles.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 18, 2013, 9:46:54 PM
It's completely doable if you stay within the correct combat rules regarding missiles, they launch round 2 and must be able to reach their target before the end of phase or they will not launch. So if you take a normal missile that takes 3 turns to reload and 3 turns to reach you must reduce both the reload and reach correctly so the above is observed which frankly is a huge headache since its not possible without reducing under 0. What I did was simply increase long turns to 12 mid 8 and short 4. A which point it becomes rather easy to stage multiple missile launches correctly. Basically your code is mostly like working right but it doesn't occur since your breaking other game rules which supersede missile combat mechanics.

Regarding salvo I'm guessing you're looking for new gfx to show the increased salvo count? If so keep dreaming smiley: wink. Unfortunately weapon gfx display a generic animation that doesn't change regardless of salvo count - would be really cool if salvo density was visually displayed.

Now if you want make missele barrage work the way you described then simply create a card that increase the $(count) of all missile modules. I think it will reset to normal in the next round

Edit: might want to merge this thread back into your FF thread since this isnt really a dev issue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 18, 2013, 10:25:04 PM
iblise wrote:
It's completely doable if you stay within the correct combat rules regarding missiles, they launch round 2 and must be able to reach their target before the end of phase or they will not launch. So if you take a normal missile that takes 3 turns to reload and 3 turns to reach you must reduce both the reload and reach correctly so the above is observed which frankly is a huge headache since its not possible without reducing under 0. What I did was simply increase long turns to 12 mid 8 and short 4. A which point it becomes rather easy to stage multiple missile launches correctly. Basically your code is mostly like working right but it doesn't occur since your breaking other game rules which supersede missile combat mechanics.

I reduced reload to 1 and it worked... But the extra missiles launched the next round, not what i was looking for smiley: frown.

Regarding salvo I'm guessing you're looking for new gfx to show the increased salvo count? If so keep dreaming smiley: wink. Unfortunately weapon gfx display a generic animation that doesn't change regardless of salvo count - would be really cool if salvo density was visually displayed.

Kind of noticed that when i was messing around with the Kinetics; the damage is there but the shots don't show up.

Now if you want make missele barrage work the way you described then simply create a card that increase the $(count) of all missile modules. I think it will reset to normal in the next round

I though of that, though i'm not sure how it can be done.

Edit: might want to merge this thread back into your FF thread since this isnt really a dev issue

Well, i still wish them to answer, they may have an answer we haven't thought about or may consider changing the code to allow what i'm trying to do in a future patch (who knows).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 18, 2013, 11:14:07 PM
When you set reload to one did both the next two phases launch an extra round of missiles? I really thought it reset each round when modified by battle cards... Actually even if does carry over that's still not how I was expecting it to behave ><

Modifying $(count) will probably result in similiar carry over changes where the change will presist after the card, I wonder now if carries over... Have you tried to see if the battle are carries over b/t battles play battle card in battle a and battle b gains bonus too :/. Check my battledmg mod if you want to see how to utilize $(count) coding.

And if you can encourage them to release modifiable weapon gfx and have the animation update to reflect salvo counts ill be very impressed as those are two things I wanted ages ago. They really did go for the simple approach in many ways during the initial release and they are slowly updating as they have time.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 18, 2013, 11:32:09 PM
iblise wrote:
When you set reload to one did both the next two phases launch an extra round of missiles? I really thought it reset each round when modified by battle cards... Actually even if does carry over that's still not how I was expecting it to behave ><

Can't say if it carry the next two phase, the battle i am using to test rarely last to the 3rd stage due to the second one firing a larger salvo without the damage modifiers i had set with the card (i meant the card to shoot extra missiles but do less damage).

$(count) will probably result in similiar carry over changes where the change will presist after the card, I wonder now if carries over... Have you tried to see if the battle are carries over b/t battles play battle card in battle a and battle b gains bonus too :/. Check my battledmg mod if you want to see how to utilize $(count) coding.

Will look at it, seem it might be the way to go to get the results i want. I have been asked to merge your damage mod in, will be able to see what it's like.

And if you can encourage them to release modifiable weapon gfx and have the animation update to reflect salvo counts ill be very impressed as those are two things I wanted ages ago. They really did go for the simple approach in many ways during the initial release and they are slowly updating as they have time.

Yeah, seem they have a busy schedule. But at least the game is still improving, can't be said to many other 4x titles...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 19, 2013, 3:11:39 AM
Hum... Count seem to have the desired effect; more missiles fired, at least it shows damage wise while not being visible. Seem count is the way to go to make my card work as intended. But i will still test it further to make sure it's not just a fluke.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 19, 2013, 12:41:49 PM
Got an answer from Meedoc, my code did work from the start, the effect was just too subtle to notice. Unfortunately, it will never show visually due to the way the game works and there doesn't seem to be a way to alter Reflection parameters (this is what alter the visuals) during the battle. So that mean i will have to rethink that card smiley: frown...
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 19, 2013, 4:08:03 PM
Meedoc wrote:
Foraven wrote:
Hi Meedoc,

Ail told me you might be of help. I am trying to create a new combat card that increase the number of missiles fired to overwhelm the defending ship defense. Unfortunately, the part where more missiles are actually fired don't seem to work. I assumed i could do it by increasing NumberPerSalve but still the same number of missiles are fired, and damage don't seem to increase (i know what we see isn't always what is actually happening). Is there a way to get the effect i seek?

PS, if you want to see the actual code, my mod can be dowloaded in the modding section (Fair Fight).

Hi Foraven,

I just checked, and NumberPerSalve works perfectly. I quickly checked your xmls, and the code seemed to be clean, however the result may be too subtle with your battle card because of the -40% damage min & max. Unfortunately, you cannot modify the visual because it's defined in the reflection markup of the Weapon Module, and the descriptor cannot modify those properties.

RateOfFire="20" NumberOfProjectilesPerSalvo="2"

Priority="50"

BoardSideMaxDuration="2"

BoardSideFireDelay="0.3">

Cheers,

That's the initial exchange. In the next answer he proposed i use count instead, but i already tried it. As for code, i just replaced "NumberPerSalve" by "Count", but that has essentially the same effect.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 19, 2013, 4:23:32 PM
iblise wrote:
Can you post the pm from meedoc? And your attempted code?

Not sure if I would be happy if people shared my PM or emails without asking me first, but that's just me!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 19, 2013, 4:35:12 PM
Steph'nie wrote:
Not sure if I would be happy if people shared my PM or emails without asking me first, but that's just me!

Yeah, forgot that some people could take it poorly. Fortunately i don't think there is anything controversial in that PM, shouldn't cause any troubles. But i'll keep that in mind in the future.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 19, 2013, 5:11:06 PM
Steph'nie wrote:

I figure you got some secret to hide!

Please PM me what it is.

I won't tell anyone, I promise! smiley: zipper
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment