Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

AI colonization behaviour

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Mar 17, 2013, 6:25:01 PM
I'm seeing that all we have in merit of the colonize new planet within system is this:

[code]

[/code]

Has anyone found a way to introduce a "Force colonize when all colonized planets are full"?

e: I guess it's already implemented, but the "switch" from food focus to "other" focus is bugged. Where are the switches?

(How are then the parameters used? Is there a whole "Focus this under this parameters" file i've missed?)

Ail, what's the whole Balliff Distrainee?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 17, 2013, 10:17:27 PM
In order to force the colonization immediately you would just need to increase the numbers there.

The deciding factor which thing the AI builds next comes from a formula of build-time vs. AI-value. Tests suggest it's not linear. So a total AI-value of 4 would prefer a building with double the cost over something with a value of 2 and half the cost.

I think I know what you mean with the bugged focus. Since colonization of some planets has less AI-Value than the exploits, there often is a switch away from food, then colonize and then right back to food. I would imagine that the changes Foraven made to the governors (with switch from food to other stuff at 80% pop) could probably resolve that. It's a change that I'd actually like to see being tested by Meedoc in his Lab where he can run better simulations than I could.

Bailiff Distrainee is for when the AI runs broke. It decides in which order it scraps stuff.

I think it's like that.

1. Bad Ships

2. Mediocre Ships

3. Good Ships

4. Military Buildings

5. Science and Industry Buildings

6. Food and Dust Buildings

Back then when we had the AI-Bankrupcy issue it was in a different order and they scrapped their buildings before their ships, which meant they ruined their empire forever.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 17, 2013, 11:02:55 PM
Oh, that explains a lot.

In reality, i was trying to bugfix Foraven's stuff, which caused an issue like this:

Switch happens at 0.8*MaxPop instead of MaxPop-1

MaxPop is never reached

Next planet is never colonized.

I _Think_ the AI actually does, at this point, force a colonization every time the current pop capacity is filled: The bug was actually that the pop capacity didn't get filled, because over 0.8*pop the AI would switch exploitation, thereby leaving the planet at MaxPop-1 with near-0 food surplus.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 18, 2013, 8:55:33 AM
That's not quite how it works.

Colonizing another planet, goes by the same rules as building any Star-System-Improvement.

It is always considered and a value is assigned. The value comes from the file that you quoted earlier. It is generally higher for better planets.

BUT: There is also a requirement that must be met before colonization is allowed.

The requirement is: Population >= AlmostMaxPop where AlmostMaxPop = MaxSystemPopulation-1

So yes, when the switch happens at 80% of the MaxSystemPopulation and this indeed is less than AlmostMaxPop, this will prevent further colonization of planets.

There's 2 ways to fix it basically:

One of them would be reverting that change and turning it back to: "Food till full"

The other one would be to change the requirement for colonizing additional planets to the same where it would switch exploitations. But in this case the NoFood->Colonize->Food-effect would only be moved to an earlier stage.

I considered it an experiment anyways. We knew the old way to pick exploitations was probably not ideal for all cases but it was quite reasonable and at least "good enough" for most cases.

I think part of the reason why the food exploit is so good in most cases is that the actual food improvements are so bad. Most of them only work for certain planet-types and the good ones come mostly very late in the game and scale with the food you already have.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 22, 2013, 2:02:31 AM
Aureon wrote:
Oh, that explains a lot.

In reality, i was trying to bugfix Foraven's stuff, which caused an issue like this:

Switch happens at 0.8*MaxPop instead of MaxPop-1

MaxPop is never reached

Next planet is never colonized.

I _Think_ the AI actually does, at this point, force a colonization every time the current pop capacity is filled: The bug was actually that the pop capacity didn't get filled, because over 0.8*pop the AI would switch exploitation, thereby leaving the planet at MaxPop-1 with near-0 food surplus.

Might be late to answer that, but i know what was the problem back then. It had nothing to do with population or when governor would bother to colonize the next planet. There was a few errors in the PlanetColonization file that just prevented some planets from being colonized no matter how full the other planets were. Took me a while to fix back then, but current version of my mod shouldn't have it now.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment