Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

I want to alter how system discovery works, any ideas how to go about it? More in OP

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Mar 21, 2013, 9:30:33 PM
Currently my friends and I are not very happy with how ZoI works. The main thing we have gripes with is how the game treats owned planets when they aren't seen. What I mean by this is that it allows ships to enter your system even when you have ZoI over them as long as the player doesn't see that ZoI, but as soon as you see it you can no longer move through it. This is akin to playing Civilization and not seeing someone's borders until you see their city and being able to walk around inside if you got into their borders before you saw their city. After a long discussion, we have come to the conclusion that the best fix for this is to make it so that when you enter a system, all adjacent systems are revealed (not permanently, but so that you can see who the owner is etc, kind of like the Amoeba Affinity. Anyways, here's the question. I can't seem to come up with a way to do this, I tried looking at the Amoeba Affinity to see how it achieves it, but unfortunately it only points to "DiscoverGalaxy" which takes no arguments and I can't find that anywhere in the XMLs (after doing a search of all of them). I was wondering if someone with more experience could point me in the right direction on this, or even tell me if something like this is possible. Thanks.

EDIT: We discussed it, and another option is also present. If it is easier, most people would prefer a system where if your ship lands on a system with ZoI covering it, it will get forced back the way it came unless you were at war/had open borders.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 21, 2013, 10:56:48 PM
You could in theory do this by messing around with the visibility and exploration bits on connected systems relative to where a ship is, however currently I don't think there is a way for a running mod to touch\manipulate these values let alone query related info you might need, so at the moment it's not possible imho.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 21, 2013, 11:02:25 PM
You might be able to key off the new exploration event which grants vision exactly like you describe.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 21, 2013, 11:11:59 PM
Kareal wrote:
You might be able to key off the new exploration event which grants vision exactly like you describe.

Hmm, so you're saying to use this:

From the Reward_UnveilNeighbours_1.... That's a brilliant idea, but is there a place that I can copy and paste that into which is basically an event that occurs whenever you enter an unexplored system? As the poster before you said, I don't think there are very many queries available to us.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 23, 2013, 11:17:51 PM
You could add that effect to every exploration event, it wouldn't help the second person to reach the system however. Don't have any other suggestions though.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment