Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Will you watch the most important possible (part.) physics discovery of the last 20y?

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 4, 2012, 10:07:28 AM
Short explanation:

The particle physicists have constructed a standard model of particle physics in the last century (I literally mean a hundred years!). This contains all fundamental known parts of matter:

E.g. the electron, proton and neutron. Those nice little guys you know out of chemistry classes in school.

Now protons and neutrons actually consist of three valence quarks each, bound together by the strong force, one of the four fundamental known forces in the world. These forces are transmitted by gauge bosons and I'll try to list them:

Electromagnetic, transmitted by photons, known as light. Governs chemistry and visual range physics as well as x-rays.

Weak force, transmitted by Z[SUP]0[/SUP] and W[SUP]+/-[/SUP] bosons, which have mass. Responsible for radioactive decay.

Strong force, transmitted by eight gluons, massless, holding together nuclei, protons and neutrons.

Gravity, which is so weak that we cannot measure it in particle physics (yet), so not included.

The point is, all those force carriers are massless, but the Z and the Ws. So we needed a mechanism that generated their mass. That mechanism is the Higgs mechanism and it is mediated by the Higgs boson.

For which we search for 28 years and now have found it, probably. smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 4, 2012, 10:17:30 AM
so all 4 force's are massless , except for "weak force". In order to have mass there needs to be an origin of that mass, and that is the Higgs, correct?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 4, 2012, 10:54:07 AM
adder wrote:
so all 4 force's are massless , except for "weak force". In order to have mass there needs to be an origin of that mass, and that is the Higgs, correct?

We don't know about gravity, but we know about strong and electromagnetic force.

Actually we already invented a unification of electromagnetic and weak force, generating the so called electroweak force and yeah, for the electroweak force the Higgs boson is one possible solution that can generate the mass of the weak force bosons.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 4, 2012, 10:54:56 AM
and, what happens now? whereto does this lead.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 4, 2012, 11:02:32 AM
That's the exciting thing: We don't know!

If it's the Higgs, the next question is: Is it only one Higgs? If it's not, we got a good chance for finding supersymmetry and that would give us candidates for dark matter.

Is it really a Higgs or some other mechanism? E.g. there's an alternative that states that every particle we now deem elemental is in reality composite, again. We could use that boson we found to exclude this theory or verify it.

For now, the door to exciting new physics is opened. And that aside we know nothing of dark energy. Finding anything new on this energy scale is really encouraging.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 4, 2012, 11:05:55 AM
i tough that dark energy was an even bigger mystery then dark matter, so maybe this leads to nothing (that we can understand)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 4, 2012, 11:10:11 AM
adder wrote:
i tough that dark energy was an even bigger mystery then dark matter, so maybe this leads to nothing (that we can understand)

It is a bigger mystery and there's not one good theory about that, yet.

But who knows in which ways this new particle will surprise us.

If you had a look at Joe's show of the Higgs to tau tau-channel, you'll see that the SM Higgs is almost excluded in this channel. Unless we're doing something seriously wrong in that channel (and if ATLAS sees the same), we have a non-SM-Higgs boson on our hands at the end of the year, should this result persist. So all bets are off.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 4, 2012, 11:18:38 AM
By the way, a really nice blog by nature which gives a short summary and some commentary introductions to particle physics concepts, made live from the auditory by a journalist. For all those impatient ones who don't want to watch the talks, I highly recommend this:

http://blogs.nature.com/news/2012/07/live-blog-the-higgs-announcement.html
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 4, 2012, 9:58:18 AM
I have to admit that I didn't understand most of it actually ..
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 4, 2012, 2:23:50 PM
thanks for these! (I heard the guy(Joe Incandela) on the live stream, but I couldn't understand very well)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 4, 2012, 2:31:29 PM
adder wrote:
thanks for these! (I heard the guy(Joe Incandela) on the live stream, but I couldn't understand very well)

Exactly my thoughts smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 4, 2012, 2:43:48 PM
Zethoros wrote:
Exactly my thoughts smiley: biggrin

You heard him. He didn't sleep for days, til this very night.

Add to that the excitement of announcing a discovery of something real new to the whole world.

And then imagine you were an expert in, let's say, soccer. You know all the rules, all the tactics, all the players. Then you're put in front of a crowd that doesn't know the rules, isn't aware that tactics are involved and will not recognize a single player. Then you're Joe in front of that crowd, today. smiley: stickouttongue

(For everyone not involved in soccer, like myself, just replace "soccer" with something you feel you're an expert in.)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 4, 2012, 4:12:25 PM
Higgs-like particle at 4.9 sigma, that's virtually discovered. Plus our cousins over at Teva reported a similar finding, albeit at a lower sigma level. This news is MASSIVE. Sorry, couldn't resist!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 4, 2012, 4:25:40 PM
bwfcnut wrote:
Higgs-like particle at 4.9 sigma, that's virtually discovered. Plus our cousins over at Teva reported a similar finding, albeit at a lower sigma level. This news is MASSIVE. Sorry, couldn't resist!

You don't have to be sorry.

*whisper*But those Tevatron guys annoy me, bringing out a paper with hints of a Higgs boson after restraining their fits (so that they disacknowledge a possible Higgs nonexistence). Actually the german press understood that the Tevatron would have made the discovery and only waited for the confirmation by LHC.*polite cough*
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 5, 2012, 1:58:56 AM
I hope they also like Endless Space (special thanks to pre order people) have a thank you mega post to all the LHC@home users HAHAHAHAHA
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 8, 2012, 5:29:47 PM
The media just don't tell people about reality.The Higgs' boson is a side effect of the really juicy thing;the Higgs field the field that gives stuff its mass.Media sadly cannot afford to tell people the truth.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 3, 2012, 8:30:09 PM
I'll just drop this here: http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2012/PR16.12E.html

Short version: Tomorrow at 9 o'clock CET in Geneva there will be a press conference by the spokespersons of CMS and ATLAS, the general purpose experiments at the Large Hadron Collider.

They will present the actual status of their Higgs search.

If the Higgs particle should be discovered, it is deemed to be the fundamental mass generating particle in the so called Standard Model of particle physics that held strong for the last ~50 years and would, by this discovery, again be validated.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 4, 2012, 9:45:00 AM
The public CMS statement (adverstising my collaboration, just because they send me such links by mailing list smiley: biggrin ) http://cms.web.cern.ch/news/observation-new-particle-mass-125-gev

The webcast archive link. The video will hopefully be up, soon: http://cdsweb.cern.ch/record/1459513

The press conference in the same archive, still undergoing: http://cdsweb.cern.ch/record/1459512

The ATLAS talk hurt my eyes, but:

We have got a discovery! 5 sigma for a new boson! *party* smiley: speed smiley: approval lol
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 3, 2012, 11:15:03 PM
Unrelated fact: 4 trillion degrees Celsius is the recently updated hottest man-made temperature.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 3, 2012, 9:06:36 PM
adder wrote:
no, I really am interested but aren't all these spokesmen going to say the same over and over again?

(the Higgs particle ain't gonna change in these few hours).

If so, I could only watch the beginning smiley: smile (or am I missing the point here?)

Luckily, I'm hyper-active

Not the same, but it may seem so for the layman. smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 3, 2012, 9:00:11 PM
no, I really am interested but aren't all these spokesmen going to say the same over and over again?

(the Higgs particle ain't gonna change in these few hours).

If so, I could only watch the beginning smiley: smile (or am I missing the point here?)

SpaceVC wrote:
That, AND Endless Space discovery, on the same day? We are overworked. smiley: yell

Luckily, I'm hyper-active

0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 3, 2012, 8:52:49 PM
Raptor wrote:
Oh man it will last that long?! I won't be listening to such a long conference no no, if it was a NASA conference on a first contact with aliens I'd watch a 24 h conference if I have to, but so much talking on a particle that is barely detectable... I guess I'll watch a resume smiley: smile

adder wrote:
Ah,.. me and reading.. all these , I never get them smiley: frown

Hey, you two, when real researchers go public, they have to present solid proof, answer all upcoming questions and be absolutely sure that what they do is right. If the Higgs boson is discovered, this is one of the surefire nobel prize winners.

Unlike presidential announcements, this lengthy talk will detail all sources of information, how they were derived and where they came from.

It's safe to say each spokesperson will take an hour for their presentation, the CERN director half an hour and then there'll be the questions you can easily skip. smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 3, 2012, 8:52:02 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
Will you watch the most important possible (part.) physics discovery of the last 20y?

That, AND Endless Space discovery, on the same day? We are overworked. smiley: yell
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 3, 2012, 8:49:57 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
I fear that to be a misunderstanding. The session might very well LAST til 13:30 if there are too many questions by the media and the present researchers. XD

Ah,.. me and reading.. all these , I never get them smiley: frown
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 3, 2012, 8:49:55 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
I fear that to be a misunderstanding. The session might very well LAST til 13:30 if there are too many questions by the media and the present researchers. XD

Oh man it will last that long?! I won't be listening to such a long conference no no, if it was a NASA conference on a first contact with aliens I'd watch a 24 h conference if I have to, but so much talking on a particle that is barely detectable... I guess I'll watch a resume smiley: smile
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 3, 2012, 8:45:06 PM
adder wrote:
it appears it is done again on 13:30 (see this, down at "dates")

But cern has a webcast archive. You should be able to find it, there.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 3, 2012, 8:41:03 PM
it appears it is done again on 13:30 (see this, down at "dates")
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 3, 2012, 8:37:46 PM
adder wrote:
this is at 9:00 in the morning?

awtch thats early.. Is it possible watch later?

(if not please record this for me, I'm interested)

It'll definitely be in the news and I'd be surprised if there wouldn't be video uploads of it.

Anyways, I hate standing up, early, too. I'm all in for the cookies, though! smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 3, 2012, 8:36:30 PM
this is at 9:00 in the morning?

awtch thats early.. Is it possible watch later?

(if not please record this for me, I'm interested)
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment