Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Tell me about Sins of a Solar Empire

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 20, 2012, 3:04:19 AM
If your a person who also loves RTS games like me, then Sins is bloody epic.

GalCiv 2 is good fun, straight up.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 20, 2012, 2:11:37 AM
Ah, GalCiv II is another thing entirely! For many, Master of Orion 2 is THE 4x. For me, it has to be GalCiv. The very different races (complete with their own tech tree), the immersion the atmosphere of the game provided, the custom-made ships...

The only 4x game to beat GalCiv in my heart is Alpha Centauri. I've great hope that Endless Space will take that spot after an extension or two, but really, GalCiv is a gem. The only places where it really fell short was an arguably limited AI and (much like Endless Space) boring fleet grinding late-game.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 4:33:28 PM
played my first game of sins rebellion last night with my brother. The hardest thing for me was the limitations compared to es i mean you pick from 3 races and one of two factions from each race. the game felt more like a race to the titan ship and then move around and try to destroy fleets. the tech was also kind of limited in my opinion but different strokes for different folks and all that.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 4:15:32 PM
I played Nexus a bit cool story and nice gameplay. If you played Homeworld series you will surely like it. A bit more action than Homeworld though.

On main post, i prefer ES from SoaSE. RTS are really not my style and the attempt to mix 4X game with RTS murdered the intention for something good. Nice graphics nice ship design but poor empire management thus making SoaSE just another RTS.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 3:59:40 PM
Yep I'm glad I bought ES instead of Rebellion (was tempted for a while).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 12:06:06 PM
To sum up SoaSE, it was incredibibly fun, but readily boring. I forgot this when I bought Rebellion, but relearned it fast once more :P
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 3:23:42 AM
What about Nexus: The Jupiter Incident? Anyone have any experience with that game?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 2:32:06 AM
I didn't really like the combat in Sins. It was hectic as RTS games tend to be and became a real clusterf*** when big fleets met and basically always ended up in the bigger fleet blob winning.

Also the combat is weird and unrealistic to look at because most ships just face each other once in range and then just "stand" there duking it out. Very few movement besides fighter swarms (which are kinda cool I grant you that). ES gives you a cool ship of the line feel which I much prefer.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 1:48:38 AM
Combat, certainly! smiley: smile

Again, the fact that you'll always end up with more or less the same ships might be a problem, but really, even if you do get bored, you'll plug in enough hours anyway to make that 5$ really worth it. Or you'll love the game and make it even more worth it!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 1:20:31 AM
Thanks, Armid. Does it do anything better than Endless Space? I also like the empire management aspects of ES, but I think I'd enjoy a game that had more tactical combat and less empire management, which I could play on those weeks I wanted a break from ES.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 12:59:37 AM
Sins was awesome and breathtaking... the first few hours.

Then it got old. smiley: frown

Problems with it: it's real time strategy. Not that it's a bad thing, but I better like turn-based. Real time is great for the tactical aspect of the game, which is the strength of Sins, but I'm having way more fun in the empire-management part of this type of game, and that's where Sins fell short in my opinion. You also have no possibility to customize your ships except for some abilities you can get with experience.

Also, the "star systems" in Sins aren't really that. What you've got as galaxy map is a bunch of planets, asteroids and anomalies and no realism at all. And the UI needs work as well, I find it a hassle to use.

Not to say that it's a bad game, it's worth more than 5$, but it was a disappointment to me considering the hype around it.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment