Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Forum Organization

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 3:28:30 PM
Randeng wrote:
No, i wanted to say that this forum must be re-organized, in order to become like every normal forum!

Ok, I think this is quite a normal forum. If you describe in what way you think it should be altered and what is missing then its constructive criticism that we can take into consideration.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 8:21:47 PM
The three key resources (which by coincidence are in my sig) are the known bugs, FAQ, and suggestions. If you find random threads, you can subscribe to them even if you don't post, which is kind of like a bookmark list. What other types of information should we try to centralize?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 6:54:54 PM
It is a bit messy isn't it? I spot a post that I like but can never find it again. Specific info is spread near and wide. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 5:17:24 PM
An AAR subforum would be brilliant, I actually think that would encourage people to do them. The other alternative is to suggest that people blog AAR's rather than thread them out, that way they won't be being constantly bumped ahead of other reports.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 4:34:59 PM
I have to add. Randeng is a genious, I totally agree with all he said.

Thank you, have a nice day.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 4:31:24 PM
Randeng wrote:
Okay thanks^^

I also want to say that the game is just in alpha version (we're around 40 or 50 real active members, adding 30 or 40 newcomers posting one thread and living), so i can't imagine what it will be when the game will be released^^ So i just hope for you that the forum will be prepared for this^^

Of course it will be, the mods would have increased their skills in Deleting/Merging/Moving Threads to the max Level 100 smiley: wink

Seriously though note taken with the rapid forum expansion after the pre-orders, so I'd say the forum would be much more organized and prepared to take even a bigger wave of new members.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 4:25:09 PM
Okay thanks^^

I also want to say that the game is just in alpha version (we're around 40 or 50 real active members, adding 30 or 40 newcomers posting one thread and living), so i can't imagine what it will be when the game will be released^^ So i just hope for you that the forum will be prepared for this^^
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 4:22:09 PM
Randeng wrote:
The problem with the actual forum, is that every newcomer posts here, in the general discussions, that's why it would be better to close this section and create another general discussion subforum. (one about only the game, and another for off topics)

So in this section /#/endless-space/forum/27-general , nobody would be able to post, forcing them to search for the correct category.

Also, sticky posts (like forum rules or news from the dev team) melted with "hi, my name is" or "amplitude and iceburg" isn't very clear.

I know, it's a lot of categories/su forums, but it's just to enhance the visibility and the clarity of the forum.

Here are few examples:

http://forums.totalwar.com/forum.php

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/

Also, adding a new forum skin would be nice, because all this white is destroying my eyes XD

Just suggestions, not order, I'm just trying to give new ideas^^

And we appreciate that and as I already said we are working on it, including on adding more forum themes.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 4:15:22 PM
The problem with the actual forum, is that every newcomer posts here, in the general discussions, that's why it would be better to close this section and create another general discussion subforum. (one about only the game, and another for off topics)

So in this section /#/endless-space/forum/27-general , nobody would be able to post, forcing them to search for the correct category.

Also, sticky posts (like forum rules or news from the dev team) melted with "hi, my name is" or "amplitude and iceburg" isn't very clear.

I know, it's a lot of categories/su forums, but it's just to enhance the visibility and the clarity of the forum.

Here are few examples:

http://forums.totalwar.com/forum.php

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/

Also, adding a new forum skin would be nice, because all this white is destroying my eyes XD

Just suggestions, not order, I'm just trying to give new ideas^^
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 4:09:15 PM
I also think a thread for introductions is enough.

The only thing that might be needed in the future is an AAR (After Action Report) Subforum as Paradoxplaza has it for the Paradox games(if enough people care to do some that is).
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 4:04:40 PM
Most of what you're proposing is coming and some of it already is integrated in the forum structure, International, FAQ, etc. Modding for instance I don't know how you missed, it's pretty obvious smiley: smile Whether some of the content will be split into many sub-sections or it will be structured as sticky threads in existing sections is a subject of consideration.

Randeng wrote:

The fourth section for every newcomer, making a thread in which he will introduce himself to other forum member, locking a thread one week after its creation.

I can tell you that I personally don't see this happening, ever. We have a special thread for introductions and there is no need to take any more place by allowing introductions to happen in separate threads. You can introduce yourself in a single post, and you have that opportunity through the "Hi my name is..." thread. With the rate the number of registered members is rising closing several hundred introduction threads per week is something we are looking to avoid.

Rest assured that the forum is changing and it is changing for better. We are not trying to copy any other forum's structure, our goal is to make it more accessible and easier to orient in for you and for us.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 3:52:38 PM
Normally, there's many "categories".

As an exemple, we can imagine:

-A category with 2 or three subforums: Forum rules and contents, Announcements, Game development, presentations

The first one is just for posting the general forum rules and adding informations about the team (dev team, forum team, with email addresses for some of them)

The second for all about announcements, about main changes in the forum, events, etc...

The third for the DEV team, posting all about the game (new features, alpha builds and improvments, beta/game release and maybe DLCs, etc...)

The fourth section for every newcomer, making a thread in which he will introduce himself to other forum member, locking a thread one week after its creation.

Then, a game category: General discussions about the game, FAQ & support, game problems/crashes/bugs, Modding forum (I don't know if we will be able to make mods?), Online

The first subforum for all about the game, general discussions, tips, ...

The second for tutorials, FAQ, general questions by gamers, etc...

The third for people having technical problems (crashes, bugs, launching problems, steam problems, etc...)

Modding (if it will be possible?)

Online, organizing online parties, maybe tournaments?

An internationnal category, divided according to nationalities (a french subforum, german, etc...) for non english speakers.

Finally an off-topic category:

I don't know how to build this one, but a kind of "endless bar" for talking about everything that isn't linked to the game, maybe a graphic section for posting fan artworks about the game, etc...

And finally a Trash, for old topics or wrong topics.

That's just a fast made suggestion, but it's a typical forum skin.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 7:15:55 PM
I apologize if this is being discussed elsewhere, but is there an update on how the clean-up and organization of the forum is going? There are just too many good threads in so many areas, my head just can't take it all in without a little bit of direction. Perhaps some sub-forums within sub forums, as well as a completion forum area?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 1:59:29 PM
No, i wanted to say that this forum must be re-organized, in order to become like every normal forum!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 1:09:44 PM
Randeng wrote:
I agree with all that you're doing now, it's good for the forum, but the forum really needs a total re-organization, like in every forum ^^

If every forum needs a total reorganization, then there is no good forum, which means that either there have been no reorganizations beforehand or all reorganizations performed were moot. smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 1:06:43 PM
Randeng wrote:
I agree with all that you're doing now, it's good for the forum, but the forum really needs a total re-organization, like in every forum ^^
Was about to say the same.. Ayup.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 1:04:59 PM
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 12:11:31 PM
Let's make a list of what the mods are doing/have done:

[LIST=1]
  • The devs are working on forum themes:
    Steph'nie wrote:
    We are working on improving the forums. Your eyes might suffer a little bit less in the future. smiley: smile
  • The international forum now has three subforums for the most prevalent posted languages, german, french and russian.
  • The alpha bug forum is a lot more agreeable by now, since we close answered threads and answer them ourselves, if possible.
  • We're still petitioning for an OT-forum. I hope we'll get one any day now.
  • Steph moved around a few stickies out of Endless space general to reduce the numbre of stickies in total per forum.
  • We unstickied the old summary suggestions discussion and replaced it with a stickied list, instead.
  • We regularly move lots of threads out of the wrong forums into the appropriate ones. By now there's not nearly so much topic mixing, anymore.
  • The questions and answers forum with the FAQ has been altered from "ask, suggest and merrily dance under the moon"-forum to "ask, get an answer, close the thread and add new things to the FAQ".
  • There's been a lot of new tags, for the future we plan to remove some old tags and correct typos in them.

• [/LIST]

Well, if I've forgotten something I think I'll add it later on or some other mod will perhaps complement my list.

Anyways, the "official" so to say response time for getting an answer should have been shortened a lot, at least during the european day. It is at least my impression that order is a very slow thing to achieve in a 10k+ users bearing forum, but that it is achievable and indeed being on the way.
    0Send private message
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    May 11, 2012, 7:33:25 PM
    Right, i noticed that post as well. I was just wondering if there was an update to that, such as stating what new forums would pop up.
    0Send private message
    ?

Click here to login

Comment