Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Favorite Classic 4X

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 2, 2012, 7:19:28 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned VGA Planets! smiley: confused

One of the original 4x games, and the inspiration for MOO and all that followed? It was HUGE in the 90's, and was an absolute blast to play. I used to run one of the larger BBS sites (and later one of the biggest hosting websites) dedicated to the game and people from all over the world would dial up (dating myself a bit...:coolsmiley: smile and submit turns. At one point there was an estimated 65000 players worldwide, it had a huge following.

I've been looking for a true successor to VGAP since early 2000 and while there have been a few promising titles, nothing ever came along that really got the strategy and feel to be considered a sequel. I just stumbled across Endless Space today on Steam and had to come check it out. smiley: cool
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 2, 2012, 8:56:22 PM
this game looks like Master of Orion 2, so i will give it a try

i read a bit through the forum and nearly all features they want in this game, are in MoO2 - e.g. boarding ships, ground fights on the planet, space stations, ...

hope this will be implemented and we have another great strategy game
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 3, 2012, 11:16:16 PM
Master of Orion 2 by a long shot, considering the time I spent on it...

Got to mention Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords for it's original win options. I won more often by Cultural Assimilation than any other ways... smiley: cool
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 3, 2012, 11:18:24 PM
- first 4x-game I played for ages was a german C64 game called "Sterne wie Staub"

- later I spend days and weeks with MOO1 and with MOO2

- never good hooked in the same way by later games and hope that will change now
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 1:09:34 AM
MOO2! Why is that my favorite classic? From what I remember, the combat was quick and fun. The AI wasn't a walk over in the strategic map. It just had so many things done right.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 7:07:20 PM
MOO1 and MOO2.

I recently tried Star Ruler, which isn't bad at all. I like the idea of being able to build a ship the size of star that can shoot ships on the other side of the galaxy...
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 8:05:39 PM
I really enjoyed Ascendancy when it came out. I played it a LOT! I unfortunately never got into MOO or MOO2, so the first one I tried was MOO3 which made me think all the MOO fans were nuts... But it sounds like I need to go back and play the second one at least.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 8:37:51 PM
Oh man I had totally forgotten about the original Pax Imperia. I loved that game so much. I remember they had a sequel that didn't live up to my expectations, sadly.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 9:14:00 PM
SOTS, with all the expansions, MOO 2,Galactic Civilizations 2

not a 4X, but Sins of solar empires is a good spaceship RTS
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 10:00:58 PM
MOO 1 & 2 (Never really got along with 3)

SotS

Star Ruler

Are my current top 3 released 4x games.

Blurring the 4x line a little and branching more into RTS rather than 4x and you can add Nexus - The Jupiter Incident, and Haegemonia: Legions of Iron to contenders to the top 3. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 10:06:15 PM
Anyone here play a little game called "Stars!" ?

Truely one of the best 4x games I've ever played. I got so excited about the sequel, and was truely heartbroken when it got cancelled smiley: frown.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 10:20:23 PM
First and foremost, Supremacy for Amiga (circa 1990, IIRC). I played the hell out of that game when it came out over and over and over again. It wasn't the best game ever, but it was the first that really got me hooked on space domination adventures. It was eventually dethroned by Civilization and I have never played it again since (mostly because I'd replaced my Amiga with a PC as my main gaming platform around that time).

After that, in no particular order MOO & MOO2 (for obvious reasons), Galactic Civilizations II and on the RTS side of things, Sins of a Solar Empire and Supreme Commander in their various iterations.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment