Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Favorite Sci-Fi/Space Opera Book Series

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 11:33:05 PM
Zenicetus wrote:
Alastair Reynolds' "Revelation Space" series.

I grew up reading Asimov and all the older classics, then Larry Niven. Reynolds is the author that fills that Space Opera niche as a modern author, for me personally.

His books are some of the most deep, involved and... strange that I've ever read and loved every bit of it! Glad to see another fan. smiley: smile

I'm also a Jack McDevitt fan - the Chindi series is pretty good though I have to say "A Talent for War" and "Infinity Beach" are my two favs from him - especially War. LOVE that book.

Stephen Baxter's Manifold series is just plain weird. L.E.Modesitt, Jr has made some great Sci-Fi reads as well.

Though I think the Expanded StarWars Universe is my all-time favorite. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 29, 2012, 7:10:27 PM
Frenk Herbert "Dune" series, Allan Cole & Chris Bunch "The Sten Chronicles", "Honor Harington" series by David Weber and many other...
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 20, 2012, 5:07:09 PM
Solaris - Stanislaw Lem

Its a good book, really.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 20, 2012, 2:47:06 PM
Martok wrote:
Which one? His Conquerors trilogy? His Star Wars Thrawn trilogy?

All of them. He's one of my favorite author's of all time. I even jumped into his kids series that he wrote, the Dragonback series. His Star Wars ones got me hooked, and I've been tracking down other works by him since. Working on buying copies of his Cobra War trilogy now that it's summer. Haven't read everything he's written yet, but I'm working on it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 20, 2012, 9:17:44 AM
Sir_Snowman wrote:
I've enjoyed the book series by Timothy Zahn.

Which one? His Conquerors trilogy? His Star Wars Thrawn trilogy?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 18, 2012, 10:33:24 PM
I've enjoyed the book series by Timothy Zahn. He did some Star Wars, and some independent novels as well. My favorite is his book, Icarus Hunt. I also have a love for Frank Herbert, Asimov, Weber, etc. I lived in the sci-fi section of the library.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 18, 2012, 9:02:02 PM
My Fav has to be The Foundation Series

Like Dune but only read the first 3 or 4 books

another great series that hasn't been mentioned

The Odyssey Series by Arthur C Clark

2001 a space odyssey

2010: odyssey two

2061: odyssey three

3001 The Final Odyssey
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 9, 2012, 6:07:06 AM
The Jesus Incident, The Lazarus Effect, and The Ascension Factor by Frank Herbert and Bill Ransom from the Pandora series. Dune, also Frank Herbert. Have only made it to Second Foundation from the series. Bolo Strike. I'm just naming awesome sci-fi books now, not really sure how many of them were actual space operas.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 8, 2012, 8:04:04 AM
Dune and Foundation are the two stand out series for me. I also really enjoyed the Gor books when I was a teenager, probably because of all the female domination and outright sexism fueled my teenage wonder at the possibility of women! smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 30, 2012, 1:12:13 AM
Hmm, actually I´d have to say Dune from Frank Herbert, nothing from anything his son did though, after that hmm, I liked Scott Orson Cards "Enders Game" and follow-ups, many stories from Asimov, the Seikai no Senki/Monshou-Books are pretty good too, if you can brush up your japanese to read them or find a good english translation smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 10:46:58 AM
So many great series already posted smiley: smile

Alyster Reynolds

Jack Campbell - Lost Fleet series

Mike Shepherd - Kris Longknife series

Allen Steel - Coyote series

David Weber - Safehold series, Honorverse

Sharon Lee & Steve Miller - Liaden Series

Ian M.Banks - Culture Series

The Halo books too smiley: smile

Not Forgetting larry Nivens Ringworld series.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 1:56:12 AM
Elizabeth Moon does great work yes, really enjoyed a couple of her series, eyeing up some more medieval fantasy stuff she's done too.

I've got to mention The Saga of the Seven Suns series by Kevin J. Anderson, very good work, very engrossing and deep.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 9:32:00 PM
I've liked

Alyster Reynolds - (enough said)

Jack Campbell - Lost Fleet series

Chris Roberson - The Dragon's Nine Sons

Mike Shepherd - Kris Longknife series (they are light but fun)

Allen Steel - Coyote series

David Weber - Safehold series
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 8:39:05 PM
For me:

David Weber - Steve White : Starfire Series

- Crusader

- Insurrection

- In death ground

- The Shiva option

- Exodus

David Weber : Honor Harrington Series

Michael Stackpole : Battletech Series
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 8:18:53 PM
I enjoyed Ringworld, one of Niven's, but I haven't read any more of the Known Space series so can't comment on the whole thing. Stephen Baxter's Ark is a pretty good read, and Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon is quite fun.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 10:21:55 AM
Though I don't spend quite so much time with my head in books anymore... Uplift (David Brin), Foundation (Isaac Asimov), The Culture (Iain M. Banks), aand maybe the Xeelee Sequence (Stephen Baxter). The Known Space series is fun sometimes too, though it seems to be better when not written by Niven.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 30, 2012, 12:10:27 AM
I really need to dig out my copy of the Foundation series and read it again. It has been too long.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment