Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

What are you reading? Your book recommendation?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Dec 17, 2012, 12:41:57 AM
I have ordered "Eve: The Burning Life" yesterday but i'm still reading "EVE: The Empyrean Age by Tony Gonzales".

I would recommend last one to anyone. I think "Eve: The Burning Life" will not disappoint me. The EVE universe has captured me smiley: wink.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 27, 2012, 3:28:26 PM
Knisath wrote:

Robert Jordan Time Wheel

Sanderson took over for the last 3 books. I have 2 of them which I haven't read yet, and the 3rd one, Memories of Light, comes out in 2 weeks. Once it's in my hands, I will read the last 3 and probably reread the whole series again. I always wondered how long the series would be if Jordan actually got to finish it. Been reading it since 1990. Sheesh
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 25, 2012, 12:43:15 AM
"The Forever War". Back in the days people had remarkably imaginative ideas in terms of what the future would one day possibly look like; and that despite mobile phones, the internet etc barely or not yet existing! btw, read the forever war but none of the other books of the series, they aren't as good and IMHO sort of ruin the happy ending laid out in the first book, just a warning smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 20, 2012, 9:02:05 PM
Guess I shouldn't have left out John Ringo, specifically the Legacy of the Aldenata series (first book is a hymn before battle). I'm running out of things I feel like rereading anytime soon but I'm thinking going back and getting all the Hugo winners that I don't currently have and then the runners up and just chewing through those. Need some process to find books to read smiley: smile
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 20, 2012, 8:52:30 PM
I'm surprised not seeing more epic Military Sci-Fi in people's lists. For those that read Safehold, try the Honor Harrington series (also david weber).

For the ones that are more in tune with (Flint/Drake) I would suggest Hammer's Slammers (Drake) and I wouldn't shy away from 1632 (Flint), though the later books get a bit old for me.

If you are just looking to sample some things check out baen publishing. They are currently doing maintenance on it but they have a free library of books to read if you want to check out various authors. I probably purchase 70% of the books they publish smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 20, 2012, 7:36:37 PM
Has anyone read Iain Banks' "Culture" series? I'm on the first book, "Consider Phlebas", but it's not really grabbing me. I'm just wondering if the later books are any better or if I should just try something else.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 20, 2012, 3:24:27 PM
:<

Why didn't anyone recommend Brave New World, 1984 or Dune yet? Incredible classics. They should have been up there, despite being fairly obvious.

I could also recommend reading Solaris - quite philosophical, but very interesting read. The same goes for The Invincible, which has a bit more sci-fi in it (a starship named Invincible lands on a planet to recover its sister ship Condor, though what they encounter in said planet exceeds their expectations). Tales of Pirx the Pilot tell the story of a man named Pirx, who starts as a pilot cadet and slowly climbs up the ladder of command. It's far from any kind of political suspense or struggle for power, mind you - just a collection of stories of a spaceman.

S. Lem wrote a lot of great sci-fi books, most of them with some philosophical message or simply food for thought.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 19, 2012, 11:21:56 AM
Yeah Terry Pratchet is good smiley: biggrin The Reaper/Death is the best character smiley: biggrin

If some of you would be more into dragons, elves, magic and stuff, I'd recommend the Eragon-Trilogy!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 17, 2012, 4:02:51 AM
LocoMike wrote:
A third trilogy... i had no idea. Unless your refering to the Bequin trilogy ?

Yeah, that one. The first book came out a month or so ago. Pariah, I think it's called.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 17, 2012, 3:15:07 AM
I recommend Robocalypse. It's a refreshing take on robots taking over. I loved the book, and the cover art is so good.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2012, 2:56:54 AM
I would like to get inspiration from you.

I am currently reading:

"EVE: The Empyrean Age by Tony Gonzales"
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 16, 2012, 10:40:46 PM
FinalStrigon wrote:

The Eisenhorn and Ravenor Trilogies by Dan Abett

--Two more trilogies by this guy (for the recrod, he writes a LOT of 40k stuff. If you want more, just look him up, it's all pretty good), following the Inquisitor Eisenhorn (you'll never guess which trilogy follows him), and then his pupil Ravenor. He's started a third trilog to wrap up the loose ends left at the end of Ravenor's arc. All very good reads, and again, you don't really need to know a lot about 40k to get into them. He explains what needs to be explained, and avoids getting too technical or lore-heavy.

A third trilogy... i had no idea. Unless your refering to the Bequin trilogy ?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 16, 2012, 10:25:49 PM
Everything Nos said I second, as well as this list of sci-fi stuff I've been devouring. And yes, this is a copy/paste from the other book thread ^^;;

The Frontier Saga by Ryk Brown

---Five books out so far, only via e-book, I believe. They're relatively short, but very fast reads. He's writing them kind of like a TV series would do episodes, which is...interesting. I really enjoy the series though, and am looking forward to seeing where it is going to go.

Odyssey One by Evan Currie

--Two book right now (Into the Black abd Heart of the Matter), with more to come. Interesting reads, with actual length to them as opposed to Brown's books. The first one is re-mastered, with better editing and what-not, and hopefully the second one gets that soon. It's still quite readable, but it needs to be sorted into chapters, as opposed to the way it is broken up into scenes. Still, good books.

The Last Praetorian by Mike Smith

--Just started this one. Came out last month, and is the first in a trilogy. Decent so far. Could really use some editing (but what e-published work doesn't?), but I'm enjoying it.

The Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell

--Hands down my favorite series right now. Six books in the main series, which wrap up perfectly. Now he has two branch-off series: the first (The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier) continues with the characters we originally read about, while the second (The Lost Fleet: The Lost Stars) deals with characters met at the end of the previous, giving readers a look at people who lived on the other side of the war. It is a nice change of pace, and I can't wait to see both of these arcs continue.

Brother of the Snake by Dan Abett

--A Warhammer 40k book. It's a bunch of short stories following a squad in the Iron Snakes chapter of Space Marine. Pretty interesting reads, you don't need to know a whole lot about the 40k unverse to enjoy it.

The Eisenhorn and Ravenor Trilogies by Dan Abett

--Two more trilogies by this guy (for the recrod, he writes a LOT of 40k stuff. If you want more, just look him up, it's all pretty good), following the Inquisitor Eisenhorn (you'll never guess which trilogy follows him), and then his pupil Ravenor. He's started a third trilog to wrap up the loose ends left at the end of Ravenor's arc. All very good reads, and again, you don't really need to know a lot about 40k to get into them. He explains what needs to be explained, and avoids getting too technical or lore-heavy.

Angel of Fire by William King

--Another 40k book, this one dealing with the Lord Solar Macharius. Basically, this guy is Alexander the Great in space. But it isn't told from his perspective. He has a prominent role, but the main character is a soldier that served under him. I like the style, it gives the reader a sense of one of the greatest heroes known of in Warhammer 40k, both as legend remembers him, and as the man that the protagonist gets to know. Plus, Space Marines are featured quite minimally, as we see the story through the eyes of a normal human, not a genetically engineered super-soldier or a cloak-and-dagger, highly skilled Inquisitor. Just G.I. Joe doing his job, essentially, and trying to survive.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 16, 2012, 6:31:07 PM
I'm always reading about a dozen books at any given time.

I'd recommend GRRM's - A Song of Ice and Fire series.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 14, 2012, 6:41:54 PM
Yep finished Safehold started Belisarius...

I would like a recomendation for a good or at least decent sci-fi series or a fantasy series(classical style or high-fantasy, not young adult crap).

Thank you very much.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 12, 2012, 3:02:26 PM
Almost everything by Terry Pratchett set in the discworld is quite funny, if you're into humor that's in a setting uncomfortably close to how humans would naively think the world does work. smiley: wink

Wheel of Time is, of course, nice for the epic touch. As is A song of Ice and Fire, if you can cope with all the dead and dying characters.

Right now I'm trying to start with some books by Neil Gaiman, of whom I only know "Good Omens", yet, that he wrote together with Terry Pratchett.

I've got to admit that I'm not really into sci-fi, because as a physicist those books are a bit spoiled to me...
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2012, 3:46:25 AM
Azhrey wrote:
Hmmm... Right now I'm reading Safehold Series: the sixth book "Midst Toil and Tribulations" by David Weber. I definetly recommend this series from the bottom of my book-fanatic soul.

I'll check it out, sound... interesting

neare wrote:
nice warhammer stuff smiley: smile. I've only played the game (Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War , until "Soulstorm" ) - for the books I didn't have time. maybe sometime.

Well can't beat Horus Heresy series for a place to start smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2012, 3:35:15 AM
Hmmm... Right now I'm reading Safehold Series: the sixth book "Midst Toil and Tribulations" by David Weber. I definetly recommend this series from the bottom of my book-fanatic soul.

After I finish this I think I'll go with "Belisarius Series" by David Drake. One of my favorites.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2012, 3:34:46 AM
LocoMike wrote:
Currently reading the Horus Heresy series, currently reading book 15 Prospero Burns

- The Wolves unleashed

Recommend to anyone smiley: wink

nice warhammer stuff smiley: smile. I've only played the game (Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War , until "Soulstorm" ) - for the books I didn't have time. maybe sometime.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2012, 3:12:49 AM
Currently reading the Horus Heresy series, currently reading book 15 Prospero Burns

- The Wolves unleashed

Recommend to anyone smiley: wink
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment