Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

EA- At it again. RE: SimCity DRM

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Mar 12, 2013, 10:59:24 PM
adder wrote:
Including buyers from GmG?

The game is Origin only - You'll buy an activation key that you have to put in to your Origin client and then unlock it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 13, 2013, 6:27:08 AM
Meh, DRM used to be a good idea, but sometimes it's just over-used. It's ok for me to have the game activated via code or via internet or both. BUT it's not OK for me when I have to be online all the time during the game. I often play my games when I'm somewhere without internet.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 13, 2013, 10:32:21 AM
angliawatson wrote:
Meh, DRM used to be a good idea, but sometimes it's just over-used. It's ok for me to have the game activated via code or via internet or both. BUT it's not OK for me when I have to be online all the time during the game. I often play my games when I'm somewhere without internet.

Excactly my point of view smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 13, 2013, 11:39:30 AM
No arguments there - DRM is a thing of evil. Some companies are thankfully less intrusive than others. I like how Steam allows me to play offline if I for some reason lose internet connectivity. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 13, 2013, 4:52:56 PM
What happens when, in a year or 3/4, EA doesn't wish to maintain the servers? The game will no longer function then I guess?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 13, 2013, 6:14:25 PM
adder wrote:
What happens when, in a year or 3/4, EA doesn't wish to maintain the servers? The game will no longer function then I guess?

Same prob would be with Steam, but at least we have the offline-mode.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 14, 2013, 8:48:21 PM
adder wrote:

In theory - yes. Unless one of the following happen.

1. Maxis releases an offline server patch down the road.

2. The community (aka. pirates) crack the game allowing people to play it offline.

The first isn't awfully likely to happen (Though with all the pressure they have been getting for being called on the whole "Game needs server access to run properly on a city level" lies it might just happen) - the latter is going to happen without a doubt.

Now I don't generally condone piracy but if EA decides to cut server costs and shut down the game entirely, I don't consider it morally wrong to play around with these files.smiley: sadblue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 14, 2013, 8:56:49 PM
For the record, its recently been proven that servers are not necessary to run SimCity. Developer tools were found in the code that allowed a person to crack the game and both make it playable off-line and have your PC do the server-side computations. Though its been patched to prevent the exploit, I'm sure this is far from over. I'm going to go ahead and predict that SimCity will be one of the most pirated games of all time. Oh the irony...

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/modder-proves-simcity-can-run-offline-indefinitely-20130314/
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 14, 2013, 11:14:18 PM
Mansen wrote:
Ah nice - Hadn't seen that particular article yet. smiley: smile

Just saw this in an austrian newspaper smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 15, 2013, 1:28:43 PM
I don't blame him, if you could get away with being evil most people would.

Bloody gray morality human!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 15, 2013, 2:03:10 PM
murph wrote:
For the record, its recently been proven that servers are not necessary to run SimCity. Developer tools were found in the code that allowed a person to crack the game and both make it playable off-line and have your PC do the server-side computations. Though its been patched to prevent the exploit, I'm sure this is far from over. I'm going to go ahead and predict that SimCity will be one of the most pirated games of all time. Oh the irony...

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/modder-proves-simcity-can-run-offline-indefinitely-20130314/
One can only hope. I tend to hate the whole pirating of games, but this might be one of those cases where it needs to be pirated,. No mercy for Maxis or EA. THis coming from a long time fan of both. I am sick of the DRM. If they are so afraid of pirates, then either make a game that is like E:FE with needing a connection for updating and patches, or make it completely open for a reasonable price. The fans will buy it and you'll recoup costs. So sick of the whole mess.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 7, 2013, 10:01:24 PM
The Island cities bug me. But that's just me. I have no intention of buying this game for 2-3 years after release. EA has a very poor track record in my book.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 28, 2013, 3:48:47 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
Gosh darn I love my demos....when they actually represent the final game.

unfortunately too few do!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 28, 2013, 10:14:04 AM
papercup wrote:
I love me some SimCity, but I'm not so sure about this one. I mean, it's probably going to be good, but after the debacle that was the Diablo 3 launch, I'm skeptical about always online DRM.

as long as your internet connection is fine, Diablo3 isn't a problem...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 28, 2013, 4:47:49 AM
I love me some SimCity, but I'm not so sure about this one. I mean, it's probably going to be good, but after the debacle that was the Diablo 3 launch, I'm skeptical about always online DRM.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 18, 2013, 8:20:27 PM
Igncom1 wrote:

This! Just this smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 18, 2013, 3:38:39 AM
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 17, 2013, 11:38:43 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
3rd party reviews and genunine playthoughs of the game are you best bet for finding good games.

Aaaand the Demos, if available! smiley: smile
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment