Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Gaming pc

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Aug 2, 2013, 10:36:57 PM
Nasarog wrote:
Meh. The one that Mansen configured, matched mine, and it was a bit too much, so now I am looking to see if I can get something similar, but for less.

You may be able to get cheaper cooling. He chose liquid cooling, but air circulating fans will do the job just as well for a lot cheaper (if you don't mind the noise).
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 2, 2013, 11:26:06 AM
Fenrakk101 wrote:
Dawn of War is a great game. But what about Starcraft? smiley: stickouttongue
I enjoyed the first one back in the day. I currently do not have a computer that can play the second one. :/
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 2, 2013, 3:01:06 PM
Nasarog wrote:
I enjoyed the first one back in the day. I currently do not have a computer that can play the second one. :/

Really? I could have sworn a macbbook should be able to run it just fine (Maybe not the bigger maps). I've played some of the simpler custom maps before on my work laptop, which hardware wise is basically a MacBook with a HD2000 chip.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 2, 2013, 3:05:25 PM
Nasarog wrote:

Just note that the second one isn't really a "spiritual successor" - It takes the game in a bit of a different direction (I mean, really, how else can you justify making it a sequel as opposed to another expansion?) and focuses more on the unit management instead of basebuilding (basebuilding is basically nonexistent). It's a great game, but there are also plenty of reasons why fans of the original wouldn't like it.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 2, 2013, 9:27:37 PM
Fenrakk101 wrote:

Did I just hear DoW ? lol

I'm still playing with some friends DoW 2 multiplayer sometimes. smiley: smile
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 2, 2013, 9:35:32 PM
You did, you did. I am deciding what comp I am going to get and then I'll be back to gaming on a pc. I am not sure at the moment what I want to do. I am either getting a midline gaming rig, or a high end mac machine for me to do some gaming on and lots more work on. At the time, I can get one or the other, but not both.

Ugh.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 2, 2013, 9:42:44 PM
Nasarog wrote:
You did, you did. I am deciding what comp I am going to get and then I'll be back to gaming on a pc. I am not sure at the moment what I want to do. I am either getting a midline gaming rig, or a high end mac machine for me to do some gaming on and lots more work on. At the time, I can get one or the other, but not both.

Ugh.

Get gaming rig smiley: stickouttongue Work can be done on it too.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 2, 2013, 10:18:39 PM
Tredecim wrote:
Get gaming rig smiley: stickouttongue Work can be done on it too.

Meh. The one that Mansen configured, matched mine, and it was a bit too much, so now I am looking to see if I can get something similar, but for less.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 2, 2013, 10:21:44 PM
Nasarog wrote:

Ah, I see - good luck.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 2, 2013, 10:29:13 PM
Tredecim wrote:
Ah, I see - good luck.
Thanks. I can game on my mac, but it's 5 years old and pretty slow. If I get a new mac, it will do what I need it to do, and play the few games I want to play. I've got kids, and all the spare money goes towards them and their needs. I kinda take a backseat to their needs right now.

I am not complaining though, just looking for some wiggle room.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 1, 2013, 6:37:22 PM
Nasarog wrote:
I do not play racing games, FPS, or 3rd person anything on my pc. I have a PS3 for that. I like 4x games, simcity, DoW, and everything in between.

0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 2, 2013, 11:05:35 PM
Fenrakk101 wrote:
You may be able to get cheaper cooling. He chose liquid cooling, but air circulating fans will do the job just as well for a lot cheaper (if you don't mind the noise).

Not really - That closed circuit system is the same price as your typical air cooling solution. smiley: smile

@Nasa: you could always look into a hackintosh. A PC that can run OSX. It'll need some specific hardware.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 3, 2013, 1:17:18 AM
Mansen wrote:
Not really - That closed circuit system is the same price as your typical air cooling solution. smiley: smile

@Nasa: you could always look into a hackintosh. A PC that can run OSX. It'll need some specific hardware.

I had one of those in the 90's before Jobs came back and got Apple back under control. That was my first "MAC" by the way. I actually purchased a Macbook Pro laptop that I'll have in a week (out of stock). I am curious to see how much faster ES is on it when compared to my 5+ year old macbook which I am using to play now. It should be able to run Civ5 as well. I'll run win7 64bit out of bootcamp for the pc games.

Thank you for the help, and a gaming rig isn't out of the question at the end of the year. I'll have to see how cruel Santa is.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 3, 2013, 11:54:38 AM
If it's one of the Pro models with the dedicated Geforce 650m cards, you're probably going to see a very noticeable difference. The intel onboard chips are very underpowered - even the newest ones. smiley: smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fw9Hqn_WLg

And since I'm going all nostalgic for my old OS7 PowerPC (Uncle was the Danish Director of Apple for a few years during my childhood - lots of freebies lol) here's a video from Bonkheads, one of my favourite games smiley: biggrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFWatfJYI1U
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 3, 2013, 12:09:44 PM
Mansen wrote:
If it's one of the Pro models with the dedicated Geforce 650m cards, you're probably going to see a very noticeable difference. The intel onboard chips are very underpowered - even the newest ones. smiley: smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fw9Hqn_WLg

And since I'm going all nostalgic for my old OS7 PowerPC (Uncle was the Danish Director of Apple for a few years during my childhood - lots of freebies lol) here's a video from Bonkheads, one of my favourite games smiley: biggrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFWatfJYI1U
It is. Though I realize it's a M card, and it might be weaker compared to a full sized video card. We'll see how it plays out, and if I see a need for the dedicated gaming rig, I'll get it. I think for now this will do.

Thanks for your help.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 8, 2013, 7:24:36 PM
Nasarog wrote:
Installing it on my new macbook pro. Kinda excited!!!!

Have fun then smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 1, 2013, 1:06:56 PM
Nasarog wrote:
How long do you think this machine will stay viable for?

It depends on how you want to enjoy your games. If you want to play all games over the next few years at the absolute max settings possible, you'll need to upgrade sooner, but games like Endless Space will not run any worse five years from now, and new games in five years will still probably run on the machine (at lower settings, of course). So if graphical fidelity and frames per second aren't your biggest priority in upcoming years, the only real limiting factor is the MTBF of the selected components, which you can see for yourself.

And, with that said, it's easier (as I understand) to repair a PC than a Mac - if your video card burns out over the next few years, you can replace the singular component instead of replacing the entire PC.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment