Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[OFF TOPIC] English lessons!

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 6:00:33 PM
ok technical answer... it isn't incorrect.

Adult can be a Noun or an Adjective (thing big person versus, adult bookstore)

so you could hand someone a video and say 'it's Adult' and you would be correct. If the video could speak it could say 'I'm Adult' as an adjective describing 'I am Adult' which is same as saying 'I am grown up'

of course no one actually talks this way and in that context the 'Adult' would be considered a noun so then the appropriate expression would be 'I'm an Adult.

No? geez i need to go to sleep that just came out gibberish.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 5:53:26 PM
Really? "I'm adult?" Right way is "I'm AN adult". You silly frenchman. smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 5:54:37 PM
I know that we can say that but I wan't to know if the other way is correct or no^^
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 5:55:04 PM
English isn't my first language so don't quote me on this but I think you can't say "I'm adult". I think "I'm an adult" is correct". Similarly, you say "I'm a doctor" instead of "I'm doctor".

I got ninja'd
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 5:55:49 PM
I'm actually an Austrian, but I study English .. even if it doesn't always show in my posts -.-'

I would say "I'm an adult." I don't think you can ditch the article.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 5:58:26 PM
So I know that "i an adult" it's the good sentence, but in french we say "i'm adult" and it sounds weird for me that it doesn't exist in english!

In french, "adult" can be a noun or an adjective.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 5:58:40 PM
I think that particular use is the wrong context, as maceman indicated it is used in English in other ways. Not really useable to say I am an adult though.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 5:51:41 PM
Hello everyone!

So, i'm talking with a stupid kid, and he told me that "I'm adult" doesn't exist in english?

Is it right? Because in french, we can say it, "je suis adulte" would be "I'm adult" and "je suis UN adulte" would be "I'm AN adult".

So any english guy could tell me what's right or wrong plz?

And btw, sorry for this off topic, but I think that with a big community with people coming from all over the world, english lessons would be usefull^^
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 6:01:22 PM
maceman wrote:
ok technical answer... it isn't incorrect.

Adult can be a Noun or an Adjective (thing big person versus, adult bookstore)

so you could hand someone a video and say 'it's Adult' and you would be correct. If the video could speak it could say 'I'm Adult' as and adjective describing 'I am Adult' which is same as saying 'I am grown up'

of course no one actually talks this way and in that context the 'Adult' would be considered a noun so then the appropriate expression would be 'I'm an Adult.

No?

I agree. "I'm adult" sounds wrong.. Just. Wrong.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 6:01:24 PM
Hm my native language is german, but here, too, there's a distinction between "Je suis adulte" and "je suis UN adulte". Namely "Ich bin erwachsen" or "Ich bin EIN Erwachsener"

It's a simple distinction between an adjective and a noun. I don't see why english wouldn't have that.

edit: nvm, maceman beat me to it
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 6:05:35 PM
Well the french do a lot of things... that surprise the rest of hte world! :P
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 6:06:15 PM
Randeng wrote:
in french we oftenly use the adjective, that's why i'm surprised!

In Greece it is an adjective.we say "ειμαι ενηλικας" 'ειμαι' is I am and "ενηλικας" is 'adulte'
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 6:10:05 PM
maceman wrote:
Well the french do a lot of things... that surprise the rest of hte world! :P

I agree^^ I'm not proud to be french...
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 6:10:14 PM
maceman wrote:
aren't all you europeans related somehow?

Linguistically?Sort of,most languages come from latin which in turn come from greek.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 6:10:25 PM
maceman wrote:
aren't all you europeans related somehow?

Aren't we all?
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment