Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Civilizations : Beyond the Earth on steam !

Copied to clipboard!
10 years ago
Aug 30, 2014, 1:55:48 PM
amaterasu wrote:
Honestly, CIV5 was really really bad. They constantly improved the game with DLC's but, it was more a roll-back than improvment. And like Cat-o-nine tales said, the "no mod in multi" was unnaceptable.

Civ 5 is better than Civ 4, Its so far my most played game after Warcraft 3 smiley: smile

I dont understand why you dont like it.

I think you might be all surprise by BE ! smiley: wink
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 30, 2014, 4:39:54 PM
I dont really see what can be good in this game (especially vanilla game). Only city states is rather a good idea nd it has been properly handled only in the latest expansion. there are a lot of good ideas, but the game is boring, boring...

Fact is that they did reintroduce elements of gameplay that were missing from CIV4. I understand that they wanted to make something different, but they failed. And their crappy game engine...

I liked it the first 4,5 times...

I respect your opinion BTW, and i'll love to be impress by BE. Hope so....
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 30, 2014, 5:11:52 PM
Kingsguard wrote:
Civ 5 is better than Civ 4, Its so far my most played game after Warcraft 3 smiley: smile

I dont understand why you dont like it.

I think you might be all surprise by BE ! smiley: wink

- Some people prefer Civ 5, some prefer Civ 4. Can't be helped. Surprised however? That's doubtful - BE is looking to be what practically amounts to a stand-alone expansion, nothing more. The engine is up to its old tricks and so are almost all of the core game mechanics.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 30, 2014, 8:06:01 PM
I'm going to Firaxicon as it's right by my house and I am interested in seeing if BE is more than just an expensive mod, so I'd be happy to report back here after September 28th and let you all know what I think.

I'm a big 4X fan and have played the ever loving crap out of the Civ series, but 5 WAS a disappointment and I'm not seeing anything from the videos of BE that really wow me.

We'll see, though.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 31, 2014, 6:20:59 AM
DevildogFF wrote:
I'm going to Firaxicon as it's right by my house and I am interested in seeing if BE is more than just an expensive mod, so I'd be happy to report back here after September 28th and let you all know what I think.

I'm a big 4X fan and have played the ever loving crap out of the Civ series, but 5 WAS a disappointment and I'm not seeing anything from the videos of BE that really wow me.

We'll see, though.

Your first hands on will play heavily on my decision to purchase it now or later down the road. I look forward to your review.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 31, 2014, 3:13:01 PM
I really wanted it go to (it's about 5.5 hours via train ride for me, but I was having difficulties lining up that weekend, and then the tickets sold out. So I gave up. I'll live vicariously through DD.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 31, 2014, 5:03:28 PM
DotBeta wrote:
Your first hands on will play heavily on my decision to purchase it now or later down the road. I look forward to your review.

Aye, sir!

I will do my best to report accurately. I'm allowed to record/take photos, so you'll see some of that, hopefully!
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 31, 2014, 5:10:21 PM
DevildogFF wrote:

We'll see, though.

Oh so lucky americans smiley: frown

Have fun ! Waiting for what you will report. I hope you will try to be neutral in your judgement ! smiley: wink
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 21, 2014, 11:38:17 AM
Alpha Centauri was so different - I guess that's part of it. You had actual terrain height differences (and terraforming), very diverse factions - each with a theme and voiceover. You could customize your units to fit a specific purpose (Like a fast bomber plane, or a really tanky defensive unit with healing).

The plot was also very different - It was dark, realistic, almost post-apocalyptic in a sense. A strange foreign world with a living planet defending itself against the growing invasion on the surface - unless of course you were trying to live in harmony.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 20, 2014, 7:37:57 PM
50 bucks for a reskin of Civ5? I was hoping for a 30-40 dollar price tag on it.

Calling it a reskin might be a bit drastic, might not be, but while I am happy about it's upcoming release I'm disappointed by the almost identical graphics to Civ5 and the lack of actual space exploration. When I saw space ships taking off from planet earth int he trailer, I though we would be able to colonize planets not play on a set planet and be stuck there for the entire play through.

Maybe I'm missing something.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 20, 2014, 7:46:54 PM
Green Man Gaming had/has a 25% off coupon a few days ago.

Anyways, I am excited, I won't pre-order because I've been burned too many times, but I will give it a spin a couple of months or two steam sales later.

DB - It's a spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri. I am liking what I am seeing.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 20, 2014, 7:54:53 PM
DotBeta wrote:

$50 bucks for a bad reskin, at that. The graphics look like something out of the mid two-thousands. I am highly skeptical that the game will be worth dropping any money on at release. (despite the possibility that $50 could just be a pre-order hype price)

Knowing Firaxis they will undoubtedly make it a good game regardless of its release state, but I will definitely wait until then to even get excited about it.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 20, 2014, 7:55:43 PM
Nasarog wrote:
Green Man Gaming had/has a 25% off coupon a few days ago.

Anyways, I am excited, I won't pre-order because I've been burned too many times, but I will give it a spin a couple of months or two steam sales later.

DB - It's a spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri. I am liking what I am seeing.

GMG250-FFSELE-CTED00 code for GreenManGaming is still working. Already pre-purchased the game, can't wait for it.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 20, 2014, 7:56:42 PM
Stealth_Hawk wrote:
$50 bucks for a bad reskin, at that. The graphics look like something out of the mid two-thousands. I am highly skeptical that the game will be worth dropping any money on at release. (despite the possibility that $50 could just be a pre-order hype price)

Knowing Firaxis they will undoubtedly make it a good game regardless of its release state, but I will definitely wait until then to even get excited about it.
I agree with the color palette. I'm still hoping they change something in the next two months. The mechanics of the game look great though.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 20, 2014, 7:58:32 PM
Nasarog wrote:

I still can't understand why they didn't just make it a sequel to/remake of Alpha Centauri. Heck, in interviews, the developer outright try and distace themselves from AC, for no reason a sound mind can conjure.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 20, 2014, 8:01:57 PM
Buzzkillington1990 wrote:
I still can't understand why they didn't just make it a sequel to/remake of Alpha Centauri. Heck, in interviews, the developer outright try and distace themselves from AC, for no reason a sound mind can conjure.
Electronic Arts owns that property. If they push the point of a AC sequel, then they'll owe money (royalties) to them.

Since no one is saying that this is AC, another company released a "spiritual successor" called Pandora.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 20, 2014, 8:12:05 PM
DotBeta wrote:

Calling it a reskin might be a bit drastic, might not be, but while I am happy about it's upcoming release I'm disappointed by the almost identical graphics to Civ5 and the lack of actual space exploration. When I saw space ships taking off from planet earth int he trailer, I though we would be able to colonize planets not play on a set planet and be stuck there for the entire play through.

Maybe I'm missing something.

You being are unfair DotBeta smiley: frown, look at the terrain and the units, they are so cool ! And the gameplay is very different : they are quest for each factions, tech tree is non-linear, units can be customized, factions too, this is not a simple Reskin ! I played hundreds of hours to Civ 5 and I could tell you if it was a reskin oO

I think you expected a galactic 4X but it is not and its refreshing. I enjoy it better not to be the kind of Space 4X ! (If you want a game of that kind, there is Galactic Civ 3 <3 !)
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 20, 2014, 8:31:17 PM
Buzzkillington1990 wrote:

Game has very little to do with AC, and based on some of the interviews I read, I don't see the people who worked on Beyond Earth to have truly understood what had made AC great in the first place. So I'm happy they distance themselves from it - at least they are being honest. Unlike that XCOM game which, while fun enough (and pretty), completly missed a lot of what made that genre what it is.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment