Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

What do you think about Sun Tzu's The Art of War applied to 4X strategy?

Copied to clipboard!
4 years ago
Aug 10, 2020, 9:53:17 AM
GTI wrote:

I dont agree with this statement because diplomacy can break a faction or a country. For example, when I used to play Total War: Three Kingdoms, I had the faction with the highest amount of food and I was always making trading it to get a lot of money from the most dangerous faction and the others while I only provided enough food for my main enemy - the one with the highest amount of money  - to survive but drastically reducing his potential to create new armies. Meanwhile I still had a lot of food and much money from all the trades. 

上兵伐谋,其次伐交,其次伐兵,其下攻城

Therefore, the best strategy for the use of troops is to defeat the enemy's strategy, the second is to destroy the enemy's diplomacy, and the third is to attack the enemy's army, and the lowest strategy is to attack the enemy's city. Siege is the last resort.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 11, 2020, 12:33:34 AM

The Art of War is more likely to say, one of the great philosophical works than the tactical manual. There's some people already talked about the importance of preparation before actually getting into the war and how you behave when you start the war, and I mean, yeah technically you can apply the theory of the Art of War into the game. I watched some of the combat videos of the Humankind and the system and the terrain parts are better than Civ series but more simple than the Total War series. However I believe it's still good enough to apply any kind of 'tactics' while you fight.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 12, 2020, 6:42:46 PM

I have a printed copy of The Art of War and I don't understand some Sun Tzu statements because they are not applied in a context. But I was able to understand most part of his philosophy. 

0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 12, 2020, 7:04:55 PM

For example, Sun Tzu's statement: "Treat your prisoners well"; Depending on the prisoner and how much he likes his faction, he is unlikely going to betray it to side with the new one. at the first opportunity, the prisoner will backstab the faction leader !

0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 14, 2020, 1:55:23 AM
GTI wrote:
Garithosthefirst wrote:
Yeah this is similar to my fav Sun Tzu quote which goes along the lines of "The epitome of strategy approaches the formless (...)

Good evening people. What does this epitome statement mean?

Epitome means the peak, or the best. So the best strategy is to not to have a complicated long-term plan, but simply to attack when or where your enemy is weak, not attack where he is strong, and don't let your enemy see where you are strong or weak. Applied to ES2, keep your forces cloaked or disbanded when possible, have disposible cloaked scouts checking your opponents systems for weak fleets or unprotected systems, and be fast enough to strike said weak points.

A lot of Sun Tzu's points are regarding information, knowing your enemy and knowing yourself, and that's especially important in ES2 because combat is very rock-paper-scissors. Producing a bunch of cloaked scouts to see your opponent's fleet composition is extremely useful, as after you move out of your systems to attack you can't refit your ships whereas the defender can refit their ships to counter yours. Unless you're Vodyani and bring an Ark along, of course.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 14, 2020, 4:44:13 AM

In my opinion, this (a little long) quote is the closest thing to a "general 4x strategy manual":
"
. If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him.
. If he is in superior strength, evade him.
. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him.
. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.
. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest.
. If his forces are united, separate them.
. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them.
. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected .”
"

0Send private message
4 years ago
Sep 17, 2020, 6:42:35 PM
GTI wrote:

Justeer, Have you heard about a 4X game called Total War: Three Kingdoms 

Not to derail, but I wouldn't say that the Total War series qualifies as 4X because it's missing the "eXplore" pillar. In the Total War games, all cities are deterministic; it's possible to learn all the terrain of the game before you begin play. I would say that Total War is 4X-adjacent though, since it has a lot of similar concepts.

Edit: that moment when you realize a post was one month old.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Oct 4, 2020, 7:24:40 PM
Good afternoon. I see your point Rabid but I agree with you only if the player is playing Three Kingdoms for the second or third time. You see, when you play Cao Cao for the first time, for instance, Ma Teng is very hidden up to the extreme north, Zheng Jiang is another example. When they appear you feel like: "Oh, another rival to the throne has appeared!" another thing is there are special buildings that can only be built in places you don't intend to possess. For instance, an abandoned commandery.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Oct 4, 2020, 7:28:22 PM

Thank you for the explanation ANGRYABOUTELVES!

0Send private message
4 years ago
Oct 5, 2020, 12:55:28 PM

"The essence of war is violence! Moderation in war is imbecility!" - Fisher

"Der Krieg ist eine bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln" (war is a continuation of policy by other means) - Clausewitz

and, as mentioned earlier,

"Parabellum".

Or in other words, war is, or at least should be, performed for a purpose. Fighting for the sake of fighting is pointless. You go to war because you desire something that cannot be obtained by words alone. When you do go to war you don't pussy around. You are either fighting your enemy or you are not. If you are willing to use violence against your enemy, use ALL of it.

And if you want peace, perpare for war.

Having said all this, Fisher was... an interesting historical figure. History is probably a better place because he was not actually allowed to dictate foreign policy. However his point was that war involves the direct application of violence. Foreign policy (Clausewitz's point) can involve the threat of violence (which is also part of the Parabellum concept) but once you decide to use that violence, use it. To paraphrase from the Shlock Mercenary web comic, 'There is no such thing as overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload''.

So how does this relate to 4X? Going to war should be for a reason, both for players and AI. Why are you at war? What are you trying to achieve? What do you want and/or what are you trying to stop the other nation/kingdom/empire doing against you? Remember in the real world wars can be very expensive to maintain. Either you have to have a large percentage of your population called up as feudal type levy - which means they are don't at home doing things you can tax them for - or you are paying large amounts of mercenaries to do the fighting for you. Either way extended wars start costing the earth and you shouldn't be allowed to fight 1000 year wars just for the convenience of it.

Or something :D

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
4 years ago
Oct 25, 2020, 9:30:03 PM

The fact that you asked that question shows the strategem of your mind. I beilve like others have said, to apply it to all parts of the games and life, is very fundemantal. High Ground, know your terrain, let your enemy come to you, enemy of my enemy is my friend.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Oct 28, 2020, 11:22:14 PM

I recall the weiqi game which simulates war strategies. The ancient weiqi and chess are the 4X strategy games nowadays. Indeed Tsar, strategy is applied in all life situations. Life without strategy is like a coffee without sugar.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment