Why the hell not.

1. Where you live

North west coast of Norway

2. How old you are

28 but closing on 29

3. What you do for a living

Social worker/psychologist in training

4. What you do outside of gaming for fun

Reading, Music and my stepson of almost 5 and the pride of my life my own little viking of 7 months old today!

5. What's your favorite genre of music

I'd have to go with all rock and metal.

From Pink Floy to cannibal corpse

6. About your family or pets

Engaged! Moved from the Netherlands to Norway.

Two sons!

Three cats.

( Sadly I am allergic to cats but I love them still )

Native language

Dutch.

But my English is not that bad either.

And my Norwegian is coming along great smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 6, 2014, 7:24:22 AM
Kingsguard wrote:
1. Normandy, Rouen

2. Unknown

3. Studying ?

4. Modding ES, listening to music (all the times I can) and more than everything, reading (huge books smiley: wink ) !

5. METAAAL is one of my favorite but I will quote someone there : smiley: smile

6. Cats and dog and sister !

New Q : French <3, learning English, Spanish and Russian (and ancient Greek)

Pleased to know you better guys !

Good idea DevilDogFF, as always it seems !

May I recommend the books of Steven Erikson?

Mazalan tales of the fallen.

The complete series is ten books long.

Without a doubt the greatest books I have ever read.

High epic fantasy books.

This is better then Lotr for me.

Better then the wheel of time and well better then everything.

I am rereading the series for the fourth time now.

And still I am discovering new things and connections smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 6, 2014, 9:05:55 AM
Vikingvesk wrote:
May I recommend the books of Steven Erikson?

Mazalan tales of the fallen.

The complete series is ten books long.

Without a doubt the greatest books I have ever read.

High epic fantasy books.

This is better then Lotr for me.

Better then the wheel of time and well better then everything.

I am rereading the series for the fourth time now.

And still I am discovering new things and connections smiley: biggrin

Better than Lotr ? Dont speak about such things heretic ! smiley: wink

Lotr is not the best book I ever read cause its quite long and difficult.. But the scenario is still the best ever for a fantasy tale !

(and with the Silmarilion which one is the most epic part of Tolkien's universe)

The saga I enjoyed the most was definitively Game of Thrones, best books ever in my opinion. smiley: stickouttongue

Well, I listen to your recommendation and buy the first book of Mazalan tales of the fallen !

Consider looking at Game of Throne's books, they worth the price, its amazing... (even more than the TV show.. Its possible yea)

@Thank you DevildogFF but I practice in the english maybe a little more than you practice your french since in some multiplayer games you have to speak in english (Warcraft 3 or AtWar for exemples) very often and on this forum I write everyday "some" words in english so its easy to keep a suitable english smiley: smile

And concerning my age, well, "Unknown" was a stupid little joke I enjoy ;à As I consider you dont need to know my age to appreciate/hate me !
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 6, 2014, 9:57:55 AM
Kingsguard wrote:
Better than Lotr ? Dont speak about such things heretic ! smiley: wink

Lotr is not the best book I ever read cause its quite long and difficult.. But the scenario is still the best ever for a fantasy tale !

(and with the Silmarilion which one is the most epic part of Tolkien's universe)

The saga I enjoyed the most was definitively Game of Thrones, best books ever in my opinion. smiley: stickouttongue

Well, I listen to your recommendation and buy the first book of Mazalan tales of the fallen !

Consider looking at Game of Throne's books, they worth the price, its amazing... (even more than the TV show.. Its possible yea)

@Thank you DevildogFF but I practice in the english maybe a little more than you practice your french since in some multiplayer games you have to speak in english (Warcraft 3 or AtWar for exemples) very often and on this forum I write everyday "some" words in english so its easy to keep a suitable english smiley: smile

And concerning my age, well, "Unknown" was a stupid little joke I enjoy ;à As I consider you dont need to know my age to appreciate/hate me !

I know people say it is heresy :P

But for me it is the truth.

There are no books that make me feel so immersed as his books.

First book is called Garden of the moon.

You will not be dissapointed.

And regarding the GoT books.

The books are better in my opinion.

But I'd rather wait till the books are all done.

(Probably when I am 60 )
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 6, 2014, 11:04:04 AM
For the "ASoIaF" aka "GoT" (The HBO show), I'd recommend Wild Cards. It's a GRRM Anthology that's about super heroes, but it's even more brutal than ASofIaF.

I'll have to check out Mazalan, it somehow sounds familiar.

Re: Kids and Pets - we live in a place that's full of lyme disease (shudder).... I'd like to reduce multiple vectors in it's transmission.

On edit: aaaaah, GURPS.... I used to play that with one of my best friends growing up. What a solid system. Way more interesting and complicated than AD&D.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 6, 2014, 1:37:52 PM
They say the average 4x gamer is 26-40, which is crazy because we've all fallen in to that age group. Thanks for that book recommendation, Viking. I'm going to give it a look!

Also, I speak a bit of Dutch, too! It's pretty easy to learn when you know English and German!
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 6, 2014, 1:46:28 PM
DevildogFF wrote:
They say the average 4x gamer is 26-40, which is crazy because we've all fallen in to that age group. Thanks for that book recommendation, Viking. I'm going to give it a look!

Also, I speak a bit of Dutch, too! It's pretty easy to learn when you know English and German!

Aye then Dutch is not that hard haha.

I am living in Norway for two years now but I still have quite a lot of problems with the language even though it is quite similair to dutch.

About the books.

Mazalan. My great epic neverending love for that series is almost as great as my love for everything warhammer40K related and my sons :P

There are a bit hard to get into. But once it hooks you. I promise you will not be let down :P
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 6, 2014, 2:17:12 PM
This is a good idea! Also, give us a shout if you're going to gamescom in a week's time. smiley: smile

1. I live in Norway, capitol city of Oslo.

2. I'm 24!

3. Usually I'd be studying but I'm taking a gap year to develop a game and do some things I always wanted to do before med school makes that impossible. smiley: small

4. I'm a running addict, otherwise I play a lot of video games, boardgames and some pen and paper roleplay when possible. I cosplay every now and then, draw stuff, travel and love learning new things. I have too many interests for my own good. smiley: embarassement

5. Favourite music is hard. I like neo folk, a capella and jazz but I don't usually think about genres. Some bands I like and recommend: Árstiðr, Yoko Kanno, Kyte, Message To Bears, Fever Ray, Origa and Sonic Adventure Project. smiley: approval

6. I'm not married or have kids, but I have two dogs so that counts for something right? smiley: sarcastic

Nosferatiel wrote:

3. What you do for a living

Experimental elementary particle physics

Watwatwat. What does your work entail?

melkathi wrote:

3. Architect and I'd add author, but children's books aren't a source of income I can live from (yet)

So you work on children's books as a hobby? Writing and illustration?

melkathi wrote:
Inkspots.

smiley: approvalsmiley: approvalsmiley: approvalsmiley: approvalsmiley: approvalsmiley: approvalsmiley: approvalsmiley: approvalsmiley: approvalsmiley: approvalsmiley: approvalsmiley: approval
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 6, 2014, 2:53:54 PM
Vikingvesk wrote:
I know people say it is heresy :P

But for me it is the truth.

There are no books that make me feel so immersed as his books.

First book is called Garden of the moon.

You will not be dissapointed.

And regarding the GoT books.

The books are better in my opinion.

But I'd rather wait till the books are all done.

(Probably when I am 60 )

I read Garden of the Moon and was rather bored throughout the book. It didn't help that it was so obvious in just setting up a world for a huge series. All the while while I was reading I had the feeling that this will not resolve because a trilogy is the least I may have gotten myself into. I no longer have the patience for that. I want books that make me want to read more because I loved the first one, not because the first book didn't end when the pages ran out.

Which makes it weird that I put up with The Song of Ice and Fire.

Though I have to say, after reading Bakker's The Darkness that Comes Before and positively loathing it with a passion usually only reserved for Brian Herbert Dune prequels, I am far more inclined to give Erikson another chance smiley: wink
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 6, 2014, 2:53:57 PM
SO, to sum up what I've seen so far.

Several really smart people who like heavy metal, sic-fi/fantasy books, kids or pets.....
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 6, 2014, 2:59:40 PM
adazu wrote:
Watwatwat. What does your work entail?

First: Will we see some cosplay at the Gamescom from you? smiley: stickouttongue

Second: My work entails mostly sitting in front of computers, anywhere. I work with data from the CMS experiment at the LHC and analyze them. If you want more detail about that, ask me at the Gamescom. Last year, I gave Slowhands and some friend of his a 1 hour spontaneous lecture on the very basics. I believe Slowhands is still broken, because of that. XD

It also entails going to international and national conferences, working with people from all over the world, speaking english more often than my native german language and, sometimes, traveling, e.g. to CERN.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 6, 2014, 3:02:38 PM
Nice thread idea, I'm gonna give it a go:

1. Split, Croatia

2. 24

3. Studying atm (contemporary art/painting major), doing some freelance illustration/graphic design work

4. Drawing, painting, sculpting, reading... but mostly playing games. smiley: embarassement

5. Mostly electronic music, industrial, darkwave, EBM, dark electro, garage, futurepop/synthpop, goth etc. But also a bit of metal.

6. I have a dog, Istrian Shorthaired Hound, called Bendžo (Banjo) smiley: redface

Other than Croatian (and other Balkan languages which are similar) I only speak English well. I know bits of German, but not much.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 6, 2014, 3:10:48 PM
adazu wrote:

So you work on children's books as a hobby? Writing and illustration?

Writing and illustrating. Though at some point I could see myself doing a collaboration with someone else doing illustrations. I hate illustrating for others. Did it once, it was not fun.

The greek market does not pay. On the one hand reading is not something that ever managed to seriously take hold in this society, on the other the book buying that does happen is mostly to prove that one owns the classics or in certain social circles the currently hip book. In primary school I remember I was the only kid who'd actually read outside school. All the others owned books, but it mostly was Jules Verne to collect dust on the shelf, but so that relatives could see, when visiting, that the children had read important literary classics.

As we got older War and Peace and the Brothers Karamazov got added to the shelf :P

That all leads to children's books not being something always on the radar of parents. Not because they are against books, but because it doesn't really occur to them.

So with two books to my name right now, in 5 years I earned 209 euros :P Need to get the third one done soon. We had some setbacks due to the financial crisis - it makes publishing no easier - meant the 2nd book took two years longer to get past the printer than planned.

The important thing though is that the kids love them. And if in winter I bring out the next book (fingers crossed), then it will be a great opportunity to do some more presentations, workshops and visits to schools and kindergardens.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 6, 2014, 3:13:49 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
First: Will we see some cosplay at the Gamescom from you? smiley: stickouttongue

Second: My work entails mostly sitting in front of computers, anywhere. I work with data from the CMS experiment at the LHC and analyze them. If you want more detail about that, ask me at the Gamescom. Last year, I gave Slowhands and some friend of his a 1 hour spontaneous lecture on the very basics. I believe Slowhands is still broken, because of that. XD

It also entails going to international and national conferences, working with people from all over the world, speaking english more often than my native german language and, sometimes, traveling, e.g. to CERN.

The first question is a very good one. Looking forward to the cosplay, adazu. Nos, will you be comming all dressed up?

About the second one, please warn me if a spontaneous lecture is incomming so I can hide at the other end of the table smiley: wink
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 6, 2014, 3:30:36 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:

Maaaybe? I hope to do a Vaulter costume sometime soon but I don't have enough time to finish it for gamescom. Maybe something else though!

I would like to know more about that! Physicist work is so distant from anything I've ever done so I don't have a great understanding for what work they actually do most of the time. I like my mechanics and practical work where most things are observable to the naked eye or at least in a microscope. smiley: redface Your job sounds exciting though, and important! Would love to try and understand some of it.

melkathi wrote:
Writing and illustrating. Though at some point I could see myself doing a collaboration with someone else doing illustrations. I hate illustrating for others. Did it once, it was not fun.

The greek market does not pay. On the one hand reading is not something that ever managed to seriously take hold in this society, on the other the book buying that does happen is mostly to prove that one owns the classics or in certain social circles the currently hip book. In primary school I remember I was the only kid who'd actually read outside school. All the others owned books, but it mostly was Jules Verne to collect dust on the shelf, but so that relatives could see, when visiting, that the children had read important literary classics.

As we got older War and Peace and the Brothers Karamazov got added to the shelf :P

That all leads to children's books not being something always on the radar of parents. Not because they are against books, but because it doesn't really occur to them.

So with two books to my name right now, in 5 years I earned 209 euros :P Need to get the third one done soon. We had some setbacks due to the financial crisis - it makes publishing no easier - meant the 2nd book took two years longer to get past the printer than planned.

The important thing though is that the kids love them. And if in winter I bring out the next book (fingers crossed), then it will be a great opportunity to do some more presentations, workshops and visits to schools and kindergardens.

Hmm, have you thought about publishing on the web? There are some good options there (like http://www.blurb.com/), you could also sell through amazon. It's not necessary mutually exclusive with publishing real copies, but I suppose you will have to talk to your publisher or publish yourself. Of course it also means you've got to do some internet marketing, which isn't everyone's cup of tea. I totally understand what you're saying about children's books though, it's so true. I hope you keep writing because it's a very noble and worthwhile endeavour! smiley: smile

Telum wrote:

6. I have a dog, Istrian Shorthaired Hound, called Bendžo (Banjo) smiley: redface

Such a cute name for a dog. smiley: redface
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 6, 2014, 4:09:49 PM
melkathi wrote:
The first question is a very good one. Looking forward to the cosplay, adazu. Nos, will you be comming all dressed up?

Unlikely. The only time I ever cosplayed was as Alucard on Halloween.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 6, 2014, 5:17:19 PM
adazu wrote:
I would like to know more about that! Physicist work is so distant from anything I've ever done so I don't have a great understanding for what work they actually do most of the time. I like my mechanics and practical work where most things are observable to the naked eye or at least in a microscope. smiley: redface Your job sounds exciting though, and important! Would love to try and understand some of it.

In the end, it's practical work in terms of typing and moving markers and maybe chalk across boards. smiley: stickouttongue

There's programming involved and heaps of data larger than anything but a secret service provides. http://home.web.cern.ch/about/computing might get you some idea of the scope and for those even more visually inclined, here's a little video about data processing basics: http://home.web.cern.ch/about/updates/2013/04/animation-shows-lhc-data-processing smiley: wink
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 6, 2014, 5:43:11 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
In the end, it's practical work in terms of typing and moving markers and maybe chalk across boards. smiley: stickouttongue

There's programming involved and heaps of data larger than anything but a secret service provides. http://home.web.cern.ch/about/computing might get you some idea of the scope and for those even more visually inclined, here's a little video about data processing basics: http://home.web.cern.ch/about/updates/2013/04/animation-shows-lhc-data-processing smiley: wink

Ugh!

I've done enough statistical analysis to last a lifetime. Now I do one aspect or another at work. Last thing I was to do is statistics when I'm not getting paid. F'that!
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 6, 2014, 6:16:36 PM
Nasarog wrote:
Ugh!

I've done enough statistical analysis to last a lifetime. Now I do one aspect or another at work. Last thing I was to do is statistics when I'm not getting paid. F'that!

Statistics is a tool. Without statistics or mathematics, you cannot do anything in any of the sciences. It's very useful and not everyone's favourite, but that's fine. There's got to be some people with more practical approaches around, too. smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 6, 2014, 6:27:37 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
Statistics is a tool. Without statistics or mathematics, you cannot do anything in any of the sciences. It's very useful and not everyone's favourite, but that's fine. There's got to be some people with more practical approaches around, too. smiley: stickouttongue
Indeed. I was neck deep in statistical analysis up until about 3 years ago. Now I have 2 professional statisticians working for me that compile and analyze the data. I do the final "walkthrough" and then give it a stop or go order.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment