Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Is this what the game is going to be?

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Dec 14, 2013, 1:42:00 PM
Thanks for sharing.

I guess my message wasn't as clear as i intended it to be.

So yes, there is the aspect of the difficulty, and i'm assuming that at some point you get the hang of it and play "better", but i was more wondering about the way the gameplay is.

Basically is the game just meant to be a "do it all over again" kind of game?

I know that ES is this way, but games are "very long", which gives some kind of feel of progression, here, since each level don't last very long, it feels more like a very "short" kind of game. I'm assuming that with experience the games go longer and longer, but since some events are unavoidable and like stated before very punitive (like i could loose my most evolved hero hence pretty much terminating my game since all my resources would have gone in the guy), i'm assuming games are not meant to last forever, like a bunch a level and be done for, and then? Start all over again? There goes the : "For what?", since everything is pretty much random, i see the point of playing a few games, but i don't see the same lifespan than a game like ES. Again, this is not criticism per se, more a very personal (still shared by some) point of view, a lot of people liked The Binding of Isaac, i, for myself, did not.

Hence my message.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 14, 2013, 1:08:07 PM
I feel a lot of the current difficulty will be offset with the inclusion of a description of wave spawn mechanics in the tutorial.

Unpowered rooms with no vision have a chance to spawn wave mobs in them. This can be prevented by either powering the room with Dust (one room per 10 Dust) or by having any hero present (which provides vision).

Wave mob spawn occurs at most once per door kicked in. Therefore you can tactically power rooms and spread your heroes out to minimise the entry vectors of wave mobs (hopefully to just one vector). Once the Wave has spawned you can move you heroes to proper defensive positions (run you bastards) and reallocate power (instantly).
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 14, 2013, 11:44:10 AM
In the current state, I personally find the game too easy once you've learned the mechanics. For me, the only way to loose now is bad luck (like 4-5 crappy rooms at the beginning of level 3)
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 14, 2013, 11:39:37 AM
Some tips : the devs want the game to be accessible and they want the difficulty to be customizable. But also they want it to be somewhat hard, they don't want something "too" casual. Think FTL for instance.

They already began to balance things (we, VIPs, played the first few builds of alpha, and I can say they started to try to balance things from the get-go). Some builds were too easy, the last ones were harder, but they will ocntinuously tweek it.

One more point : Science will lead to a tech tree, and that will add another layer of gameplay that WILL need balancing.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 14, 2013, 11:32:09 AM
One thing I learned from playing 3 hours(Oh I am such a veteran!!!!!) is that it all boils down to setting up defence points correcty, once you get the hang of it you're good.

in my first 3 games I lost all my heroes on level one and in the fourth I lost 2 of 3 to a glitch at level up. After that I won three times without loosing even one hero. the learnig curve is just like ES, first you die against an easy(est) AI, then you're pretty much comparable to a hard AI.

I'm a rather casual gamer, so I think you will get the hang of it aswell smiley: wink , just force the Monsters to all run past the same point and remember they can'T spawn in powered rooms. It's not all that hardcore, once you don't try to defeat the mosters in their rooms.

Concerning level progression. Well I don't know, you do keep all the industry+food you gathered and the blueprints stay in the buildplan, the heroes get better(tho as you don't directly controll them it's hard to tell) and retain better equipment. The two things that don't "come up" are Dust and production. Production is not continued, remember, you plugged that crystal thingy off when you stormed out of the level. Dust would logically be stored, but I assume this was a balance decision, otherwise you'D be able to power the whole dungeon, unless it's exponentially(!) larger. right now it's actually balanced for the third level, If either would be retained It would be far too easy. I hope that science and hero skills will make the new levels also less "back to square 1"
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment