Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Finished game with 0.1.15 version. Various thought and issues.

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Jan 29, 2014, 9:01:41 AM
It still depends a lot on what rooms you find. If you get hardly any dust, you can't light up long corridors of death. If you get no major module slots, you will be playing catch-up with resouces. With hero active abilities, it can become more hero heavy. Last playthrough I spend a large part of level 3 defending in a dark room. Partly because I didn't want my major module to get damaged, partly because my heroes were so strong, they did not need minor modules to beat the waves. They got massacred in level 4...
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 29, 2014, 8:44:40 AM
That actually explains a lot. Without him combat becomes much harder. Is combat supposed to be leading a conga line of enemies down a long hallway to their death? Or is it supposed to be more hero heavy? I know it could go either way but both strategies seem to fail, for me at least, on the third floor. The increased monster strength really messes them up. However I have been taking the explore one direction route.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 29, 2014, 7:57:05 AM
PraetorianVanguard wrote:
Also the guns seem to shoot too slow to be useful, not the machine guns though.

That is not the attack speed. Gork has a hidden stat called Attack Hit Count with a value of 3. So it seems that while pistols, swords and spears hit one enemy, Gork hits 3 of them with his SMG.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 29, 2014, 7:30:21 AM
Little late to this discussion but regardless. The difficulty as been smashing me. No turret modules or buff modules drop. Enemies tear my heroes apart. Also the guns seem to shoot too slow to be useful, not the machine guns though. Past couple games Ive been able to tell how long I will last within a couple rooms.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 26, 2014, 9:36:35 PM
I would agree with the permadeath bit if after the new patch it didn't seem like getting new hero recruits was a crap shoot. After over a dozen playthroughs I only got a recruitable hero on the first floor twice! And one of those two times a massive 3 spawn wave arrived when I opened that door and killed both that hero and the one that I was using to explore in mere moments =/ If there was some real choices in which heroes to recruit or at least drop the randomness of the variable that allows you to find them then permadeath is fine, maybe have the level drop/unconscious heroes as part of one of the lower difficulties on release?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 25, 2014, 4:25:45 PM
DaveyAlcala@live.com wrote:
Less crucial? Well personally I like the idea of Heroes dying, it makes the player care for their Heroes, leveling them up, giving them the best gear possible, and keeping them safe. So if your best Hero dies, it makes you change your current strategy, it allows the player to adapt to the new situation.

Yeah I have to agree with this. My favorite sessions have been ones in which I have come to the brink of destruction, losing all but one hero and then managed to bounce back. There is something delightfully grim about outfitting your new level 1 recruit with the gear of your fallen comrades. In games like these I find it a lot more gratifying to focus on adapting to a changing set of challenges instead of just starting fresh when something less than optimal happens. Heroes that can bounce back from death would take away from that sense of struggling to survive that I like so much about games that channel roguelike themes.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 25, 2014, 4:43:23 AM
Altren wrote:
Yes, I do. The main difficulty is opening strategy and enough luck to make only few or one room leading to unpowered territory. Usually I end with two ways: going "forward" when have not enough dust and going "backward" to claim new room.

No, I'm not saying that game is too difficult or something, I like current difficulty level. It is just that option of dead heroes is not used, and it is almost as saying you lost after any of your heroes died. Why not make dying heroes slightly less crucial?

Less crucial? Well personally I like the idea of Heroes dying, it makes the player care for their Heroes, leveling them up, giving them the best gear possible, and keeping them safe. So if your best Hero dies, it makes you change your current strategy, it allows the player to adapt to the new situation.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 25, 2014, 1:40:43 AM
DotBeta wrote:
Are you opening every single room on every level? I just wanna know how you increase every hero to level 6 because usually when I'm on the 4th floor i might have 2 hero's on level 6 that I've been dumping all my food into to level up.
Yes, I do. The main difficulty is opening strategy and enough luck to make only few or one room leading to unpowered territory. Usually I end with two ways: going "forward" when have not enough dust and going "backward" to claim new room.

DotBeta wrote:
Seeing as how there are no second chances and it's a roguelike I think when a hero dies it's permadeath, there shouldn't be any second chances. That's what makes the game challenging.
No, I'm not saying that game is too difficult or something, I like current difficulty level. It is just that option of dead heroes is not used, and it is almost as saying you lost after any of your heroes died. Why not make dying heroes slightly less crucial?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 24, 2014, 4:37:20 PM
Personally, the difficulty seems fine with me, sometimes I win, sometimes I don't. When I did find the attack module I used 3-4 of them in one room, leaving all of my heroes in this room did make a significant difference, sometimes I even only left 1 hero there and said hero still survived a wave of enemies. I could see that being over powered a bit, but that is if you do obtain said module.

I did find one of the bugs you had though, after the 3rd wave of enemies, I tried to have all my heroes reunite in one room to fend off their enemies, 2 out of the 4 heroes made it in the room, while the other two had their running animation standing on the door. They could still take damage, but not attack. This left me with 3 heroes.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jan 24, 2014, 3:47:25 PM
I haven't found the node that increases damage, nor did I think of spamming buff nodes to increase defense or attack to ridiculous proportions. I hope that there are changes to it and you limited to a certain amount of buff nodes per room. Are you opening every single room on every level? I just wanna know how you increase every hero to level 6 because usually when I'm on the 4th floor i might have 2 hero's on level 6 that I've been dumping all my food into to level up.

I haven't had any problems healing the healing buttons were probably moved up to make room for the skill tabs. I also haven't had problems knowing if a wave is over because I take more than a split second to look at the status, looking at it for 2 seconds usually verifies whether the waves are over or not.

Seeing as how there are no second chances and it's a roguelike I think when a hero dies it's permadeath, there shouldn't be any second chances. That's what makes the game challenging.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment