Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Speed Runs! Hold the WORLD RECORD

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
9 years ago
Sep 9, 2015, 8:42:06 PM
hmm, im gonna do a speedrun once i learn about more modules under the heart category
0Send private message
9 years ago
Sep 10, 2015, 8:38:57 PM
assasxyn wrote:
hmm, im gonna do a speedrun once i learn about more modules under the heart category

I would love for the community to grow. When you start your attempts don't shy away from posting your runs even if they don't beat spleen they would earn you #2 or #3 on speedrun.com!
0Send private message
0Send private message
9 years ago
Oct 11, 2015, 4:58:48 AM
Wow. I couldn't do it. I take too much time with thoughts and thinking and cognition.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Oct 11, 2015, 9:51:55 AM
meloemphatic wrote:
Wow. I couldn't do it. I take too much time with thoughts and thinking and cognition.

Ah, thinking's for chumps! But seriously, it's all a case of having a game plan worked out beforehand. A summation of my general strategy:

Use Nanor or Skroig to act as floodgates, level them up ASAP. Cooking With Gas and Red Plume are the only way to get through endgame. Gas damages everything, but you need a taunt item for Nanor to excel, with roomjumping. Plume destroys everything in the room and takes less micro-managing, though prepare to get destroyed by the exploding enemies. [KeepinmindtauntoverridesRedPlume]

The other character to pick is personal preference, either an operator to boost economy or another DPS to hasten earlygame immensely.

When finding heroes, taking anyone is good. 4 heroes are objectively better than 2. Only dismiss heroes when there is a much better character to choose. An ideal team comp, I think, would be: Skroig/Nanor, Operator (Mormish/Max/Josh/Hikensha), Anyone with Scamper (Esseb/Troe/Joleri), DPS (Ken/Troe/Mizi)

In earlygame, research upgrades for the major modules. Then, research Seblaster and Emergency Generator. Upgrade Seblaster whenever possible, if no good researches are available just re-roll it or research something cheaper than re-rolling.

In earlygame, focus on Industry and Food. In lategame, Science is needed for actives, namely Gas/Plume/Übercharge/Sacrifice

It's good to keep expensive items in the inventory because finding a dust merchant on the last few floors can just instantly win the floor, though this doesn't happen often.

Other than that, it's all a matter of charging ahead face-first and minimising enemy spawns... and not dying. Dying still happens a lot. I think I'm going to write a fuller guide to this, I'll post it here if I do.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Oct 12, 2015, 12:30:02 PM
Spleeninator wrote:
Thanks, guys! I've been playing Armory Pod to test out different characters and strats more quickly, and I think that Skroig alone may be able to push the Escape Pod run sub-50 or even sub-40 because Red Plume is so awesome.

After inadvertently getting 54:11 twice in a row on Armory Pod (just 1 second slower than Escape Pod!), I just managed to fluke into an INSANE time on Armory Pod, sub-30!

Devv, any chance we could get the other Pods as categories on speedrun.com?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smTeyqq2cok

Holy crap.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Oct 12, 2015, 3:23:25 PM
Spleen created the library pod on Speedrun.com for you to submit. Sanitary would be crazy without the ability to pause and since its much harder than easy I would love to see you run it! Keep up the good work. I haven't tried speedrunning this game for a while do to the baby. I wish I could contend with you, but maybe in the future when my personal life gets less crazed...and less poopy...literally it goes everywhere.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Oct 12, 2015, 3:25:31 PM
Do you have your splits for library pod Spleen?

Also ever thought about streaming on twitch? Since you are EU you might stream when I'm at work and keep me from boredom! ROFL
0Send private message
9 years ago
Oct 12, 2015, 5:35:22 PM
Library Pod splits at https://splits.io/b5a, might try to improve on it tonight though.

I've considered streaming, but between my generally broken schedule and computer dying even on simple recording, I just couldn't do it. I'll probably start cranking out a lot more videos on youtube, though.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
9 years ago
Nov 17, 2015, 10:43:00 AM
I'll definitely give this one a watch later, great work!
0Send private message
9 years ago
Nov 26, 2015, 3:01:04 PM
Escape Pod in 43:49 at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uv60X1MjBg - did it just before the update! I can foresee the Secret Compartment playing either a huge role... or being an incredibly useless item seeing as we already lack dust in lategame in a speedrun. Sasha Chokyo is gonna be insane though - and Wes Davoun's room forcing could also be an incredible move! I'm so hyped!
0Send private message
9 years ago
Sep 8, 2015, 3:46:57 PM
Spleeninator wrote:
Thanks, guys! I've been playing Armory Pod to test out different characters and strats more quickly, and I think that Skroig alone may be able to push the Escape Pod run sub-50 or even sub-40 because Red Plume is so awesome.

After inadvertently getting 54:11 twice in a row on Armory Pod (just 1 second slower than Escape Pod!), I just managed to fluke into an INSANE time on Armory Pod, sub-30!

Spleen, I updated speedrun.com with an Armory Pod segment if you would like to submit the run there I'd be happy to approve. Nice work on the Armory POD!
0Send private message
9 years ago
Dec 30, 2015, 8:58:38 PM
The decision has been made that loading times are being taken out of speedrun timing. See the first post for rules.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Jan 7, 2016, 3:29:15 PM
Frogsquadron wrote:
Wish we'd see a speedrun of Dungeon at the AGDQ... smiley: biggrin

http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

That would be amazing. Maybe Spleen and I can eventually get good enough to safely run the game quickly. As of right now (he might have a different opinion), in order to get under 1 hour you have to put yourself at pretty large risk which can easily end your run and might not be good for the marathon. Either way in order to get on that show you have to make a submission. Hey maybe next year! Spleen think we can get good enough to submit to AGDQ or SGDQ?

-PS. Still looking for other interested runners.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Jan 8, 2016, 9:54:00 PM
It would likely be using safer strats, and the module-based times are only getting faster (which are generally a lot safer than my kamizake resetting) so I could definitely see it. Generally to submit these things you need to:

-Have a good amount of experience marathon-ing it in other marathons

-Be good at narrating and explaining what's going on to people who don't know what the game even is

-Have some sort of community around it, so that'd mean a few more people speedrunning (up and coming trends really help with submission)

-Be really lucky (some people have been trying to get in for years with little success)

-Be able to travel to wherever the heck they host it (a tad difficult for anyone not living in America)

-Maybe have to be able to handle the night shift

-Have a well-commentated example to submit

-Preferably be a well-recognised runner

Y'know other than these extremely easy, totally-loose, attainable criteria I think it'd be in the bag.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Jan 11, 2016, 2:21:59 AM
It's always nice to have another. No matter your time submit it on Speedruns.com/dote. You can always submit and it allows for Spleen and I to watch you progress which is always fun!
0Send private message
9 years ago
Jan 11, 2016, 11:09:07 AM
Spleeninator wrote:
It would likely be using safer strats, and the module-based times are only getting faster (which are generally a lot safer than my kamizake resetting) so I could definitely see it. Generally to submit these things you need to:

-Have a good amount of experience marathon-ing it in other marathons

-Be good at narrating and explaining what's going on to people who don't know what the game even is

-Have some sort of community around it, so that'd mean a few more people speedrunning (up and coming trends really help with submission)

-Be really lucky (some people have been trying to get in for years with little success)

-Be able to travel to wherever the heck they host it (a tad difficult for anyone not living in America)

-Maybe have to be able to handle the night shift

-Have a well-commentated example to submit

-Preferably be a well-recognised runner

Y'know other than these extremely easy, totally-loose, attainable criteria I think it'd be in the bag.

If you can survive a floor 6 to 7 transition with underlevelled heroes, these should be no problem. smiley: cool
0Send private message
9 years ago
Jan 30, 2016, 2:02:18 PM
So I got 41:56 on Escape Pod a week ago, but expected to beat it quickly. I was wrong. The kill-room setup of Pat with Skroig seems to be working really well, but lategame RNG is still a huge factor. Will take some very good luck to get it much faster.

EDIT: Actually got a time ~30 seconds faster on the run just after posting this, but computer crashed and I had to repair it, completely removing the file :/

https://youtu.be/ya-mZ0SLnq0

Also Refreezerator in 59:43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xno_Tn3otA

And Organic in 56:11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Ia-cty9ww

Does anyone have a standalone copy of the 1.1.0 patch? Steam doesn't let you downgrade and it'd likely make Library Pod a lot faster with the pre-nerf Seblasters.
0Send private message
0Send private message
9 years ago
Feb 8, 2016, 10:35:46 AM
Do you reckon you're going to be hitting the ceiling soon, or is there room for growth besides a lucky run?
0Send private message
9 years ago
Feb 8, 2016, 6:28:06 PM
For Escape Pod, the general ceiling was hit on my previous run, at 42 mins. Unless there's another character that comes out of Wes' power level, any subsequent faster runs are mostly luck-based. One will have to start with Skroig/Pat/Nanor and find another of the three naturally on the first floors. Or, starting out with two of them and finding an early operator may be viable - Wes just makes it a lot more consistent. It's a 1/12 chance to find one of these guys if you start with one of them, 1/6 to find a speedy character, and Ken/Mizi are probably of acceptable speed due to their damage output. So it takes about 10 mins to go through earlygame, which isn't too egregious - if you watch some other randomly generated games like Binding of Isaac, those guys can reset for days on end! It's just a case of making one's own luck.

It's just a grind if a faster time is wanted, but I think 40-45min will be the average with these guys.

THE REST OF THE PODS, ON THE OTHER HAND...

(except Refreezerator, I think that can't get much faster)
0Send private message
9 years ago
Aug 16, 2015, 12:37:27 AM
Hmmm, I'll have to try one of these days.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Aug 7, 2015, 7:02:42 AM
Got a faster WR tonight! New WR is 01:35:10

http://www.twitch.tv/devv13/v/10002681

I'll input the floor times later. This was a better run altogether because I didn't get a taunt item until floor 12 and wasn't able to get my optimal turret setup until later.

[table="width:500"]

Index

Running Time

Floor Time

start

00:00:00

Floor 1

00:03:32

00:03:32

Floor 2

00:10:31

00:06:59

Floor 3

00:18:07

00:07:36

Floor 4

00:26:14

00:08:07

Floor 5

00:35:10

00:08:56

Floor 6

00:43:50

00:08:40

Floor 7

00:50:28

00:06:38

Floor 8

01:00:35

00:10:07

Floor 9

01:10:39

00:10:04

Floor 10

01:21:58

00:11:19

Floor 11

01:29:25

00:07:27

Floor 12

01:35:10

00:05:45

[/table]
0Send private message
9 years ago
Aug 10, 2015, 5:23:26 AM
Impressive. I've done a speed run of 3hrs for Easy Escape Pod myself, but wasn't very pleased with it (and we might as well toss it out the window given the difference between our speeds). This game is very fun to speed run, because of infinite resources and random generation. Your post gives me incentive to start a run, so it'll be the two of us competing then, hmm? I'll post up a run later this week.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Aug 10, 2015, 8:16:13 AM
Hi,

Congratulations on this impressive time smiley: smile

We don't know other speed run competitors so that's make you our current world record holder smiley: cool
0Send private message
9 years ago
Aug 10, 2015, 2:51:30 PM
EndlessRunner wrote:
Impressive. I've done a speed run of 3hrs for Easy Escape Pod myself, but wasn't very pleased with it (and we might as well toss it out the window given the difference between our speeds). This game is very fun to speed run, because of infinite resources and random generation. Your post gives me incentive to start a run, so it'll be the two of us competing then, hmm? I'll post up a run later this week.

It is great to hear back from the community about interest! I look forward to your video post because I'm really curious on how other community members are going to go about speed running this. All I have are my own strats and some discussion from my viewers on twitch. Feel free to post any video (even if it doesn't break any record) and we can discuss! My current setup that I run has Max combined with Chef Nanor. Max's +2 science fuels my research as well as Nanors roomwide AOE that helps me get past the rough midgame (floors 4-9). I rush nanor to get his active and then it all depends on what characters I get.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Aug 10, 2015, 2:53:31 PM
Mysterarts wrote:
Hi,

Congratulations on this impressive time smiley: smile

We don't know other speed run competitors so that's make you our current world record holder smiley: cool

Thank you for confirming! Because this is starting now I will do my best to spread the word and try to continue building this community!
0Send private message
9 years ago
Aug 11, 2015, 8:46:53 AM
Took approx 24-25 minutes off: New World Record 01:10:10.22

http://www.twitch.tv/devv13/v/10483426

[table="width:500"]

Index

Running Time

Floor Time

start

Floor 1

00:04:03

00:04:03

Floor 2

00:09:26

00:05:23

Floor 3

00:14:01

00:04:35

Floor 4

00:16:30

00:02:29

Floor 5

00:22:39

00:06:09

Floor 6

00:31:02

00:08:23

Floor 7

00:43:17

00:12:15

Floor 8

00:50:24

00:07:07

Floor 9

00:54:37

00:04:13

Floor 10

01:00:49

00:06:12

Floor 11

01:05:03

00:04:14

Floor 12

01:10:10

00:05:07

[/table]
0Send private message
0Send private message
9 years ago
Aug 11, 2015, 9:45:46 AM
Oldstalk wrote:
Congrats for your time, it seems really fun to speedrun !

Thank you very much! It is incredibly fun to speedrun. Your brain is going a million miles a minute thinking ahead, but also having to deal with the current. The last 4 floors are very intense. Your characters all all under leveled, you probably don't have the party you want, you likely don't have the modules you want, and you likely don't have the items you want. Yet somehow you have to survive! When you push that exit button on floor 12 no matter if you get a Personal Best or not it is still a rush. I am truly grateful to have an awesome core group of viewers on twitch to share it with too so it makes it all the better!
0Send private message
9 years ago
Aug 12, 2015, 1:33:40 PM
Interesting! I never thought of how one would speedrun the game but it actually makes sense. Too bad there aren't other runners smiley: smile

That makes me think it would be cool to be able to specify a fixed seed for the dungeon generation, so several people can race with the same layouts and compare times smiley: smile
0Send private message
9 years ago
Aug 12, 2015, 4:03:43 PM
Shtong wrote:
Interesting! I never thought of how one would speedrun the game but it actually makes sense. Too bad there aren't other runners smiley: smile

That makes me think it would be cool to be able to specify a fixed seed for the dungeon generation, so several people can race with the same layouts and compare times smiley: smile

I really hope my posts will get more people interested in speed running this game :-). It really is exhilarating on the final floors especially if you find an early exit that puts you into gold segments.

In regards to a seeded speed run something inside me doesn't like taking that random factor out. I figure they don't do that in Binding of Issac or Crypt of the Necrodancer races because it takes away that need to have "mapping". However, a seed run would allow you to quantify the bare minimum industry/food/science needed to finish the run in the way you want. The random factor would be what items would spawn and what monster combinations you would get (assuming the seed is only for the map layout and everything else is probability), and you would really be able to achieve remarkable times.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Aug 15, 2015, 1:11:07 AM
Meh, thinking about throwing the towel... I've tried a run, but haven't had as much success... here's my strategy:

Prisoner Prod 4, Tear Gas, and otherwise low science/food strats.

Find one of the two aggro items.

End half of the game, find Gork. (yes it's very frustrating to have to name someone outright).

Strat involves just using Gork's 3k health + door dancing to get past any floor with no dust. Yeah, can even be done in the crystal room with 3 other heroes as turrets, who would be high dps chars. One misclick and it's over.

I wasn't too excited about playing that one out, but there it is.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Aug 15, 2015, 9:07:10 PM
EndlessRunner wrote:
Meh, thinking about throwing the towel... I've tried a run, but haven't had as much success... here's my strategy:

Prisoner Prod 4, Tear Gas, and otherwise low science/food strats.

Find one of the two aggro items.

End half of the game, find Gork. (yes it's very frustrating to have to name someone outright).

Strat involves just using Gork's 3k health + door dancing to get past any floor with no dust. Yeah, can even be done in the crystal room with 3 other heroes as turrets, who would be high dps chars. One misclick and it's over.

I wasn't too excited about playing that one out, but there it is.

I've never liked the idea of pris prods past floor 6/7. I have a similar strat to find a taunt item and give it to a slow char, but I use seablasters as my main wave clear. The taunt item keeps the mobs in the seablaster room and keep the zoners/bulldozers/crystal runners focused on the room jumping taunt. If I have trouble from multiple directions I use Chef's aoe to weaken mobs more and usually my other heroes + turrets can take them out on the other side. finding a aftershave is a freaking gold mine. You can open all the doors to a side as long as you have a defensive setup to that side. I wish you streamed so I could watch!
0Send private message
0Send private message
9 years ago
Aug 5, 2015, 9:42:29 PM
Current WR = 00:41:12 held by Spleen

Rules:

1. Must have a recording of your run.

2. Timer starts when you hit "Start" on the character select screen

3. Timer stops when you hit "Exit" on floor 12 (we will not go from the in game time post)

***Official times being used are now being changed to take out load times to cater to slower computers. The load times being subtracted from the time starts when you hit "Exit" on the floor to when you first gain control of your heroes.***

Link to Leaderboards on Speedrun.com:

WE NEED MORE SUBMISSIONS. Get #1,2,3 etc.!

http://www.speedrun.com/Dungeon_of_the_Endless

Escape Pod Any % Easy

Current WR = 00:41:12

held by Spleen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uv60X1MjBg

Infirmiry Pod Any % Easy

Infirmary Pod in 37:44

Held by Spleen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEgcnoJXx6o - the fastest non-Armory time so far!

Armory Pod Any % Easy

Current WR = 28:15.63

Held by Spleen

Library Pod Any % Easy

Current WR = 44:47

Held by Spleen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Rc1O8kbWc

Refreezerator Pod Any % Easy

Current WR = 59:43 using Pat Bates

Held by Spleen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xno_Tn3otA

SanitaryPod Any % Easy

Sanitary Pod in 1:02:18

Held by Spleen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d9t6g9bE0o
0Send private message
9 years ago
Aug 16, 2015, 8:55:16 AM
After a long night of deaths, bad RNG, 1:30:00 + runs, I bettered my time to 1:07:01.08. I'll get the vid later....

Remember the standings need more people. So no matter what your time is if you attempt a run please post it. I would like to get more names on the Speedrun.com board!

http://www.twitch.tv/devv13/v/11178239

0Send private message
9 years ago
Aug 17, 2015, 2:13:46 AM
Uhhh can we have another category for 'how fast you die'? :P
0Send private message
0Send private message
9 years ago
Aug 21, 2015, 8:10:03 AM
New time to beat 1:02:55.31 SO CLOSE TO UNDER 1 HOUR! I'm going to get there. I swear. I had an all new strat. I will post video later.

0Send private message
9 years ago
Aug 21, 2015, 1:57:22 PM
Wow, really impressive, congratulation smiley: cool
0Send private message
0Send private message
9 years ago
Aug 22, 2015, 2:19:22 PM
Excellent topic, congratulations for these first World Records !
0Send private message
9 years ago
Aug 27, 2015, 11:51:44 PM
I got a run hot enough to put holes in your tongue with Ken/Nanor at 00:54:10!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4U4zSN91DI

Floor Realtime Split

1 00:03:25 00:03:25

2 00:05:37 00:02:12

3 00:09:53 00:04:16

4 00:16:00 00:06:07

5 00:19:19 00:03:19

6 00:23:35 00:04:16

7 00:26:23 00:02:48

8 00:28:26 00:02:03

9 00:33:21 00:04:55

10 00:44:58 00:11:37

11 00:51:28 00:06:30

12 00:54:10 00:02:42
0Send private message
9 years ago
Sep 3, 2015, 3:44:32 AM
Spleen! Grats on the run. Sorry for the delay in updating I was out on vacation! I made sure I got ya on speedrun.com though. Excellent work and hope to see more submissions with a faster time!

Thank you for posting your splits. It helps with the work updating.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Sep 4, 2015, 1:56:30 PM
Guys, I celebrate when I end game on "Easy" not to mention to do it almost without pause and without too much of a thought. Congratulation to "Under hour"
0Send private message
9 years ago
Sep 5, 2015, 3:22:16 PM

0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment