Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[CURRENTLY IN THE G2G VOTE] Modules - Design Brainstorm

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Feb 1, 2014, 6:01:37 AM
Melkathianite idea 15) Ascetic Virtues (bonus points for knowing the reference smiley: wink)

Major Module

Reduces food cost to level up heroes by a tiny percentage. Effect will have a MaxValue=0.3 or something similar.

Because games can never have enough random wierdness:

16) Lady Luck Module

Minor Module - Offensive/Defensive/Support

Effect: random effect every turn:

1. Damage enemies similar to the normal starting offensive module 2. Heal heroes similar to a normal healing module 3. Boost hero attack power 4. reduce monster attack power 5. reduce monster speed 6. increase hero defense 7. increase module defense 8. increase module attack power 9. decrease module attack power 10. decrease hero attack power.

17) Mind Control Module or Neural Pattern Override Module

All your mobs are belong to us.

Minor Module - Offensive

If more than 1 mob in room, gives 10% chance to take control of one mob. Additional modules increase the chance (controlling additional mobs could make it problematic with counting when no more hostiles are present, causing problems with ending the wave). If only one mob present -> end effect.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Feb 1, 2014, 11:19:50 AM
melkathi wrote:
People have been discussing barricades and forcefields. My own suggestion was exactly that, a major module that needs to be operated by a hero to seal off doors.

The interesting factor for modules that require an operating hero to function is that hero AI will obviously always choose combat over operating a module. That means that from the moment an enemy is already inside the room, heroes wont be able to power up the module.

Currently I am tending towards a ( does this count as 14) or is it idea 0) the prequel? ) Forcefield Generator Major Module that, while operated blocks all doors to the room (so no manual selection of door needs to be implemented and no random factor frustrates the player) ; that the forcefield will get attacked by monster though and its Hit Points are determined by the operating hero's Wit.

I agree with the combat sequence that says that a hero will combat rather than operate (and that's why many good ideas can't be (imo) ok with the current game design).

For me, a forcefield is a window which provide protection vs mobs. This forcefiel can be destroyed too. What you are saying, is that while the forcefield is active, mobs can pop on the other side. What "scealing doors" means to me is that the door are closed and therefor no pop can come (for the price of 1 hero operating the module, wit scealing 1 to 3 doors).

As for implementing a selection tool to lock the door... "Less is more" : why having more programming for interaction with the environement while currently the game is simple : you open the door, you loot the room, you survive. After that, what changes everything, is how you play with your heroes : do you use them on dark rooms to prevent pops? do you fully use them to gather ressources? Could you afford to "lose" ressources for the well being of your team and thus having a hero operating a scealing door module ?

That's all that matter in the game, and the intercation must be as simple as when you click on the merch.

I'm surely not a programmer, and i really don't know how difficult it is (or not!) to implement that kind of command, but i believe that DotE must stay very simple.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Feb 1, 2014, 11:48:14 AM
Kriss wrote:
What "scealing doors" means to me is that the door are closed and therefor no pop can come

That may mean though that the room would have to be "de-spawned", as an exisiting unpowered room will have a chance to spawn mobs (as far as I can tell the game only checks: is this a room? Is it powered or unpowered - openess and closedness of doors does not come into it). This could lead to a series of other problems if even possible: it could mean that by re-opening the door a new random room is generated. It could also lead to door-farming as doors are reopened to generate more turns and more resources and possibly more events.

Another question is, how would the tareting of a sealing door module work? If the room has four open doors and you wish to seal one, the process would be:

build module -> send hero to operate module -> button pops up similar to clicking on crystal -> click button -> cursor changes to seal -> select door ?

Seems a bit complicated. Especially considering that operating effects of modules don't seem to really take effect until the moment the turn changes, so the seal might not exist until the door opens?

I do agree with you that ideas should be kept as simple as possible, so they can be implemented with existing tech.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Feb 1, 2014, 12:26:02 PM
Well you point out things i didnt thought about. You're right about the complexity of the scealed door and the room. And that "door-farming" thing... painful for the game itself.

I guess your forcefield idea would work much better (meaning : be simpler to implement). Still, that would mean that it's a temporary wall, thus the player will have to get rid of the waves going through his determined path before going back to defend when the FF goes down. that would be helpful in a way, but kinda dangerous. If you FF 1 room, mobs in there shouldnt be very hard to beat. But 1 room leading to 3 others... could be death out there ! and fun, also.

Yeah FF are a nice strategial bet, could work.

So if i sum up your idea : 1 hero operating the module, 2 to 4 FF appears (as soon as the module is operated? When another door is openend?). Which leads to 1 hero that is "blocked" operating the FF. Can the other heroes hit the FF? if yes, FF should be considered as a lower threat ennemy (so the combat sequence is mobs, then FF). How about the mobs : do they consider the FF as a lower or higher threat (i guess lower, since heroes are much more tasty) ?

You know that in some case, that coul be a death trap for the hero operating (i don't mind that : afterall, triggering FF is a bet)...

Also, would it be imbalance in some case?

I really agree with that module, and i'm surely asking questions that would seem meaningless. But again : not a programmer here!
0Send private message
Comment