Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[G2G] Creation Contest - The Next DotE Hero [VISUAL]

Copied to clipboard!
10 years ago
Mar 2, 2015, 12:47:51 AM

Hey everybody, hope I'm not too late!

Here's my rendition of Rosetta; since one of her descriptions was "snobby", I thought she would consider herself better than other people, so I gave her some shiny, high-tech armor. The sword does not have to be constantly present, but can be projected when needed (in case those 'savage aliens' get rowdy).

I see her as perfectly capable of generosity and kindness, but definitely one not to me messed with. Don't be deceived by her delicate design; she's well versed in the sophisticated art of the sword, and can fight circles around any brutish alien
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
10 years ago
Mar 1, 2015, 10:53:19 PM
Hey everyone,

finally got them finished! (Luckily in time ;D)

The first one is a quite 'normal' type of humanoid robot, having a proud but strict face, as I imagine a noble and by-the-book human person to have.

The second one (like the first) is an upright standing, strong and correct, but more abstract type of robot.

To show that she's noble, she's made of a bright, white metal, with golden embellishment.

And for symbolizing the 'enlightment' she's bringing to the savages, she has wing-like extensions on her shoulders and kind of 'glasses'.

The third one is more the small, cute robot. This one is inspired by weebo (flubber), 'cause I've always thought that weebo is really adorable and therefore perfect to make first contact to savages.

This robot is floating in the air, using small crystals on the bottom, and has an integrated display to show pictures and video clips of the modern humans or their memories.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Mar 1, 2015, 11:01:08 PM
Hi all smiley: smile Here are my visuals of Rosetta ;> 3 in 1 picture .. ( i will split them after posting :<)

1. first design .. technical she hat no sword but some blades to cut grain and stuff smiley: zipper

2. A Round design is a smooth snoby neutral communication design ! All Stars and Planets are round (ya ..the most .. :P) so even new species will understand the design .. the blade can flip in the body .. its only the last .. communication skill smiley: zipper

3. Beep boop beep ! Evry species will understand this ! . nothing more to say

I Hope you enjoy or get some inspiration from it smiley: smile

Ps: Sorry for my bad englisch :<

Good Luck evryone !

0Send private message
10 years ago
Mar 1, 2015, 11:43:19 PM

I would love to see a red coat kind of colonial robot. Golden cavalry saber, suave female British accent, white gloves worn at all times, and never looks you in the eye.

For your consideration,

-Connor
0Send private message
10 years ago
Mar 2, 2015, 12:31:52 AM
Truly, Cesterwo, that was what was in my head as a visual for QV1819 when I thought of the background, but was worried that it would veer too close to deena/ken. But maaaybe I'm wrong!
0Send private message
10 years ago
Mar 1, 2015, 8:07:52 PM

Heavily influenced by the Titan concept art on the devblog!

Roughly human sized. My Rosetta submission is a little armored since negotiations with natives aren't always peaceful.

But it was much more slender in my head that it came out on paper!

The idea is that Rosetta was so effective at er..."Pacification" after planetfall, that the Vaulters modeled the Titans of the future in her image in the ages after DotE!

As time went on models became bigger and bulkier and more defensive in nature from necessity--the need to defend the great halls and corridors, thus they gradually lost any sense of gender identity---which is just superimposed on machines anyway--Becoming the Titans we know today with just a slight resemblance!

I was debating rather or not to submit it, I find Skorcha's submission so charming that I'd probably end up voting for it regardless lol! It's charming and just -BLEEDS- DotE!

But anyhow. Here it is <3 enjoy.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Mar 2, 2015, 12:50:30 AM
wkinchlea wrote:
Truly, Cesterwo, that was what was in my head as a visual for QV1819 when I thought of the background, but was worried that it would veer too close to deena/ken. But maaaybe I'm wrong!

Yeah, I noticed how the background of "civilizing the natives" was super similar to European colonization of South America and Africa, and I tried to do a classic European steampunk-style design, but I wasn't skilled enough.
0Send private message
0Send private message
10 years ago
Mar 2, 2015, 1:45:14 AM
apocalypsemeow wrote:
Yeah, I noticed how the background of "civilizing the natives" was super similar to European colonization of South America and Africa, and I tried to do a classic European steampunk-style design, but I wasn't skilled enough.

Here's a little clue to that - Q(ueen)V(ictoria)(born)1819
0Send private message
10 years ago
Mar 2, 2015, 3:08:24 AM
wkinchlea wrote:

Haha wow that's great! You had this character really well planned out lol
0Send private message
10 years ago
Mar 2, 2015, 3:09:37 AM
wkinchlea wrote:

Classy! smiley: approval I love it.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Mar 2, 2015, 3:56:19 AM

So this is my attempt at drawing my impression of Rosetta QV1819. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, its just a pencil sketch (with very expensive pencils mind you) and the lighting wasn't particularly good for the picture. It's also rather messy because I changed my mind a lot and my eraser was being annoying...

A rundown of its features and quirks:

The most noticeable to pieces are the face and the chest.

The chest area is actually empty in the middle, the center circle is magnetically suspended and changes color with her thoughts and emotions. The area around it is empty space and the rest of the chest area is a solid but light alloy.

The head is an interesting story. The part with the eyes is actually a screen capable of displaying information as well as her eyes. Her optical sensors are behind the screen. Below the screen is a physical mouth that opens and closes as it converses. The spikes on top are mostly cosmetic, but they are also her way of smelling and detecting emotions of those around her. The two spikes on either sides are her ears, they're kind of like elf ears.

Due to her personal "promotion", Rosetta wears and ornate cloak, visible below her body as several darkened strips. It is made of six tail like segments that each have angled tips and are increasing in size as the come towards the middle.

Her legs are simple, but her feet have and almost high-heeled boot kind of design. Due to being metal, they're quite durable.

Her arms are also quite simple, similar to human arms. On her forearm, she has a small projector each, capable of displaying information for herself or those around her. On the backs of her forearms, she has a blade weapon made of several segments capable of collapsing on itself for storage.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Mar 2, 2015, 6:14:59 AM

Here is my entry.

I decided that a robot designed for interacting with locals would have a "friendlier" and less mechanical look to them. Since QV1819 has a bit more personality than the average model of her kind, she decided to stick out a bit by wearing a scarf and some silk gloves (but nothing too extreme, she is still by-the-books after all) The snobby aspect was challenging to convey, but I thought giving her a fencing style sword (since fencing is something usually seen as "high class") would be more appropriate than a claymore or something. I also believed giving her a librarian style "hair" bun also added a bit to the snobby aspect.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Mar 2, 2015, 7:18:27 AM

It's a little rough, but I'm not really an artist. :-/ I see a lot of other people are channeling similar ideas to mine though! We must be on the right track!

The idea here is that Rosetta is the EVE to Opbots WALL-E. She is sleek, sharp and doesn't use mechanical joints; relying on magnetic repulsors instead. Her sharp, edged angles convey her potentially arrogant and logical personality. I also liked the idea of her using hard-light projections to change the shape of her face and hands so that she could better 'relate' to whatever species she was interacting with (they'd see her as less alien) as well as educate them by providing visual aids (globes and such). This also provides an easy way of giving her a weapon/blade, as she can easily turn her hand(s?) into one.

This could also give her some visual personality in-game, as both her face, hands and weapons could flicker on and off or shutter with static from time to time. It would make her read clearly as a "robot" without occupying the same hard, "mechanical" visual space as Opbot. Although I imagine her having a white/grey body with blue projections, really any assortment of colors could do (old school DOS green for her projections would have a charm all its own for example). The goal was to just make her clean and precise.

Potential Idle Animations:

- Rosetta trying to find the perfect weapon by rotating through an assortment of hard-light images. Hammer? Mace? Trident? Sickle? Sword.

- Rosetta putting on the different faces and postures of various enemies. Sometimes a necrophage, other times and orc... and so on.

- Rosetta's story is with Opbot, and she falls in love with him after first assuming he's a worthless scrap heap (because underneath her cold exterior beeps the heart of a romantic!). After that point her face occasional shifts to look like his, and is followed by a heart.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Mar 2, 2015, 11:06:16 AM
Ding! I'm closing the thread. Thank you everyone for your submissions, we will come back to you. smiley: smile
0Send private message
10 years ago
Feb 27, 2015, 8:04:15 PM
Just want to take my part. Inspired by GLADOS and my boss`s secretary. Tried to make it look cold, smart and beautyful maybe smiley: ohhO:

UPD: Added new image

Also I agree with Mechaphantom. It strange that almost all concepts have one eyed looksmiley: wink
0Send private message
10 years ago
Feb 25, 2015, 5:29:36 PM
My crappy paintings smiley: frown

№1

Work in progress.... or not.

Technically, she is armed with swords. But visually its stun batons.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
10 years ago
Feb 25, 2015, 9:33:53 PM
Well, since the Rosetta model is meant to learn the language and cultures of indigenous peoples, it seems logical that the Rosetta would be designed to look friendly, approachable and harmless. Hence, my "idea" (badly drawn in MS paint), is for a somewhat Wall-E-esque android; box-like body (vents on the back), treads for transportation, and a friendly, innocent face (sort of like Met from Megaman). On top of the robots head is a pith helmet or safari helmet, a monocle over one eye, and an ornate cavalry saber wielded in one hand.

I'm horrible at drawing in MS Paint smiley: cry
0Send private message
10 years ago
Feb 25, 2015, 11:28:33 PM

So here a more detailed version of my by the book robot. She Cleary looks a bit snobby and dresses to impress. You can tell by the posture that she gots some attitude problems as she seeks to cleanse the savages. She has large cable hair bundles. I think she looks good with purple and black. For her sword I figure she can change her hand sort of like magaman where magman can switch between a gun and a hand she gots a sword and a hand.

Here my thick Rosetta the idea is this some sort of combat mode. Once her pod landed she dawns a armor and duel swords from her weapons wrack, purge the savages! This model features two large swords and a single glowing pink eye. While my other robot is wearing skimpy clothing to hide her more feminine features this is a lightly armored "naked" robot design.

I call this one tail. I loosely based it on the xcom floater. Where it fly's or hovers lightly off the ground It can be armed or unarmed with just the tail blade. The idea is it able to float and explore more of its environment without legs. It has a huge two handed sword attached to its tail/spine that it can swing like a whip while still leaving its hands free. I also thought about it having no arms at all and just the tail blade but I on the fence.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Feb 25, 2015, 11:30:40 PM
I really like the second one. That has my vote at moment. It a robot meets anime meets Gashia. I probably spelling that wrong.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Feb 26, 2015, 2:25:50 AM

This is my idea for the robot. A first contact robot needs to be able to communicate with an unknown species as well as blend in as much as possible. So instead of having a regular robot body she instead has a holographic projector she uses to change her image.

She also has a multitude of appendages that come out of her projector body. This might be hard to draw pixilated so maybe put treads on her or freakish chicken legs.
0Send private message
0Send private message
10 years ago
Feb 26, 2015, 2:10:28 PM
This is my contribution, not a very good artist, I offer you my vision of Rosetta QV1819

0Send private message
10 years ago
Feb 25, 2015, 4:42:25 PM

Hi guys,

Once again, thank you all for taking part in the Hero Creation Contest.

The winner of part 1 (thread) has just been announced: it's Rosetta QV1819, by wkinchlea.

The contest is divided into three parts:

• Biography and archetype [Forumsubmissions+G2Gvote] -- [WINNER:RosettaQV1819] smiley: approval
  • Visual [Forumsubmissions+G2Gvote]
  • Hero finalisation [G2Gvote]

YOUR SUBMISSION

Your submission must include all the following elements:

• A picture attached to your post
  • Optional: include a brief description of what you have tried to achieve and short guidelines for our artist

To keep a visual coherence in the game, our pixel Artist, Simon, will then draw the final sprites, based on the content provided by the winner.

GUIDELINES

• You are limited to three submissions
  • We will only accept submissions that include a picture
  • If you included a brief description and guidelines for our artist, we will only accept the ones in English
  • Keep your submissions in one post only (you can edit it until the deadline)
  • We will only accept original pieces of artwork: do not include references/art that you haven't produced
  • Use the art style and the technique of your choice and not necessarily pixel art
  • smiley: warning Take into account every element of the hero created by wkinchlea (link): race, gender, composition, weapon and personality
  • Rosetta uses a sword: we'll accept anything that resembles it, but we'll have to decline submissions that are too exotic for our taste!

ADVICE

• The winner of part 1 is a lady robot: however, it doesn't need to have a human / lady human appearance
  • Use the existing elements of the game (creatures, environment, lore) to create a hero coherent with the game background
  • Surprise us!

DEADLINE

Submit your ideas before March 2nd. We’ll be closing the thread at midday (CET). We will choose the three best submissions that will move on to the G2G vote.

PRIZE

The two lucky winners (part 1 and part 2) will receive the following:

• Your name in the game credits
  • A unique Dungeon of the Endless T-shirt
  • Three copies of Dungeon of the Endless (Crystal Pack), to play co-op with their friends!

smiley: warning Please note that Amplitude reserves the right to modify the 3 proposals and will work with the winners to finalise the design and adapt it to development constraints. Simon, our artist, will provide the final visual, based on the winning submission.

Good luck to everyone!

smiley: amplitude
0Send private message
10 years ago
Feb 27, 2015, 10:00:50 PM
smiley: amplitude Hello, EndlessDeskLamp here. I'm submitting my design for Rosetta's design in Dungeon of the Endless.

Keep in mind that some aspects and details can and probably will be simplified down for the pixel art version. Without further ado, here it is!

Her general appearance is woman-like, and I thought her hand(s) could have little projectors that could be the source of her sword and other things.

P.S. If you can't read the monitor on her chestplate, it says, "HANDS OFF". Obviously that's a bit too much detail to be put into the game, just a bit of artist humor.

Also, my Steam account name is, "A Pedophile Gnome". Another joke, obviously.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Feb 28, 2015, 2:58:44 AM
Its interesting that almost all of us agree she should have one eye in center of head.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Feb 28, 2015, 6:29:54 AM
Placeholder for finished designs. I'm curious what you guys think of this.

Is this style of design allowed? I lack any form of artistic ability so I've designed this robot almost like a collage.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Feb 28, 2015, 7:11:38 AM
SirTannlyKnotte wrote:
Placeholder for finished designs. I'm curious what you guys think of this.

Is this style of design allowed? I lack any form of artistic ability so I've designed this robot almost like a collage.

I don't see any reason why this design wouldn't be allowed, but could you maybe just post a picture with a single robot in it? The spirograf pattern is a little distracting. smiley: smile
0Send private message
10 years ago
Feb 28, 2015, 12:14:58 PM

So obviously this is pretty rough, but my idea is for a very sleek humanoid robot, with a blank, female mannequin-type head that floats above the torso using an anti-grav pad or something. Her arms normally default to hands, but they can reconfigure into a sword, either by rematerialising, or by sliding back into the arm and having a sword slide out as a replacement.

Edit: a second version with like a blank, helmet-type head instead of a humanoid one
0Send private message
10 years ago
Feb 28, 2015, 4:56:19 PM
So... she uses hover engine (rotates) to move, is covered with white armor, has red eye and yellow/black ring on engine.

0Send private message
10 years ago
Feb 28, 2015, 6:33:51 PM
Hi,

Hope it is not too late :

Rosetta has rectatile swords that she uncovers only in emergency situation.

Her pretty face is engaging for first encounter with new barbarian people.

She always carry “The book” by her side : this books help her to shape her personality and she consults it for any reason. She reads it in the elevator.

Her puffy dress is composed of armor pieces in the upside part. She also hides reactors which allow her to levitate.

When she opens a door, she preachs for “The book”.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Mar 1, 2015, 10:27:36 AM

Three(?) submission on three index cards, alongside an idea for the color scheme.

As you can see I based this design off of more 18th century military attire and Opbot.

Now for a few guidelines:

-The ceremonial blade for submission one is a bit of a reference (to the final part of the Flourish weapon family in Spiral Knights, figured the blade of those things would be fitting for a sword referential in itself to a saber and meant more for show than normal combat), and as such should most likely be ignored (wish I saw that rule the first time I looked through the guidelines) possibly along with the chest piece (which I based off a part of a common armor used by female characters in Blacklight Retribution. I still really wish I saw that rule the first time around).

-Image one will also possibly need a slimming for the torso area as well as a second attempt at giving the figure a contrapposto.

-Ultimately I would also suggest trying to mix these two submissions together (such as taking one's torso, shoulders, and crotch area and adding on the limbs and head of two, less pixellated idea of what that could look like in-game is that "3?" on the bottom of the third index card).

-Either way Simon will have the final word, and I would be delighted to see what that might be (even though I should probably be pessimistic about the chances of success for this idea, especially considering the error mentioned in my first guideline).
0Send private message
10 years ago
Mar 1, 2015, 4:22:10 PM
I hope the picture came out ok. Please excuse my lack of excellence in drawing.

Typed out version (in case you can't read my handwriting) from top to bottom.

Strong arms to help natives and become a productive member of their society. STRONG ARMS TO ENFORCE ENLIGHTENMENT!

Ability to have personal items to better help social acceptance;such as scarves, hats, or jewelry. SHARP PERSONAL ITEMS TO SHOW PHYSICAL AND MENTAL SUPERIORITY.

Gravity adjustable legs to show familiar forms of movement to the natives. HEAVY LEGS TO CRUSH THEM IF THEY DO NOT LISTEN.

Notes on Current Design

1. glowing power indicator, any color, if possible very bright, like a neon green. Also depending on her health the bar could go down for low health and up for high/full health

2. Those circles are just detailing they don't have to be there. I just thought her body looked a bit boring.

3. Beads of fallen chiefs, for this idea I referred to her lore and thought, if she wants to enlighten the natives (with force) then to get them to respect her (assuming it's a society based on battle prowess), she would need to prove herself and show off to future opponents that she was to be held in the highest regard.

4. Just a sword, in the final design it doesn't have anything like the one I drew. I just don't want it to look like it's part of her. She was supposed to be a friendly at first, (friendly robots don't have deadly weapons attached to them). Something tribal that contrasts with her elegant and futuristic design.

Final Design Notes

She can be blocky if that's easier. I suggest white as the base color for her body and limbs. Long strides, almost bouncy for the animation. Magnetic (floating) joints would be preferred. If you guys want you could add her bar code QV1819 on her body/legs/arms/head.

I wanted to make her appear friendly, her original purpose according to her lore was that she was to learn about the native's culture. I felt that if a company/government would do this on a large scale then the design for the Rosetta robot would have to be simple and reusable. Imagine that a life-form has appeared on Earth. Which would you talk to first, the one that looks like it was built for battle or the one that might have taken care of children before coming here? I'm not trying to change her lore just elaborating it. The whole point is that I think she should look friendly but has a dark broken mind.
0Send private message
Comment