Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[DotE] GDD 2 - OVERVIEW

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Sep 26, 2013, 12:01:31 PM
The question I want to know you mentioned merchant would they not be hostile since this is an Endless planet and you set of the planetary defences? To me that makes me think the whole planet would hostile?

DarkMeph
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 18, 2013, 12:26:53 PM
Sharidann wrote:
I know, but it is a classic : a door, a monster, a treasure... Ahh for the good old AD&D days. smiley: smile

If it were like (A)D&D, splitting up the party would have much more dire consequences. smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 10, 2013, 11:56:16 PM
DarkMeph wrote:
I think they might not be as since you are Party if everyone takes charge of one character then you cannot change heroes because no would want their character to be changed. I guess the other option would be that someone take charge of the enemies.

Another option would to allow multiple parties in the game but it might become a bit more unbalanced unless the parties are allowed to fight each other.

DarkMeph

T41 wrote:
Co-op would be fun, whether it's multiple parties or different heroes, as long as you knew the other person. Online multiplayer like that with ppl you don't know would be a little awkward, especially if you wanted to switch heroes, or open doors before the other is ready.

Controlling the enemy would be easier on the player, but would take more time to develop.

Someone controlling the minotaur and someone controlling the hero, all competitive style... I smell something that smells like Super Dungeon Explorer and I'm liking it - its like waffles covered in maple syrup. Or even party against party action would be pretty sweet, it would have to have agreed turn rotations between parties but competition for resources and the exit would be amusing.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Nov 19, 2013, 8:33:47 AM
True about developing the game to control the enemy. You could have a option to vote on when to open the door if you are with an unknown parties. I just thought you could open the door an let another group handle the enemies and you go in an get all the stuff.

DarkMeph
0Send private message
11 years ago
Nov 12, 2013, 12:44:43 AM
DarkMeph wrote:
I think they might not be as since you are Party if everyone takes charge of one character then you cannot change heroes because no would want their character to be changed. I guess the other option would be that someone take charge of the enemies.

Another option would to allow multiple parties in the game but it might become a bit more unbalanced unless the parties are allowed to fight each other.

DarkMeph

Co-op would be fun, whether it's multiple parties or different heroes, as long as you knew the other person. Online multiplayer like that with ppl you don't know would be a little awkward, especially if you wanted to switch heroes, or open doors before the other is ready.

Controlling the enemy would be easier on the player, but would take more time to develop.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Nov 11, 2013, 6:08:30 PM
DarkMeph wrote:

DarkMeph

Good ideas - I wonder which ones will come true? lol
0Send private message
11 years ago
Nov 11, 2013, 9:48:13 AM

DarkMeph
0Send private message
11 years ago
Nov 8, 2013, 12:18:18 PM
Will there be multiplayer, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere so I thought I'd ask it here.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 26, 2013, 4:52:54 PM
Mysterarts wrote:

You will discover the reasons by playing Dungeon but also Endless Legend.

Yes I will ^^. I am looking forward to it !
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 26, 2013, 3:45:28 PM
@Doshaburi

There are a lot of people on Auriga and especially in the Endless Laboratory, our dungeon smiley: smile

You will discover the reasons by playing Dungeon but also Endless Legend.

Like you said, some NPC are neutral or friendly, as the merchants (and they are not currently machines, but I note the idea).

And yes, there are several races among the heroes playable by the player!
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 26, 2013, 3:38:14 PM
Doshaburi wrote:
Are merchants friendly living beings or machines powered by Dust ? Like a "put a smiley: dust in and choose your drink" vending machine =p ?

I mean, could we have allies in the dungeon ? At least ally enough to sell us some goods ? I thought it would be odd but... I think a space orc could easily be bribed with delicious randomly found meat for example. And some other mobs could also be pacified by some actions, well I don't know at all what we could find in the dungeon.

And, about heroes, will they all be humans ? I understand that we begin the game with a human team (or maybe there were alien prisoners in the Success ?) but can we hire some alien mercenaries or something ? If we can befriend some people in the dungeon it would make sense, but if we can't then ignore my question ^^.

All of that makes a lot of sense in this kind of game (roguelike-ish?) so I presume at least most of what you said will be implemented.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 26, 2013, 3:07:14 PM
Are merchants friendly living beings or machines powered by Dust ? Like a "put a smiley: dust in and choose your drink" vending machine =p ?

I mean, could we have allies in the dungeon ? At least ally enough to sell us some goods ? I thought it would be odd but... I think a space orc could easily be bribed with delicious randomly found meat for example. And some other mobs could also be pacified by some actions, well I don't know at all what we could find in the dungeon.

And, about heroes, will they all be humans ? I understand that we begin the game with a human team (or maybe there were alien prisoners in the Success ?) but can we hire some alien mercenaries or something ? If we can befriend some people in the dungeon it would make sense, but if we can't then ignore my question ^^.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 26, 2013, 12:52:49 PM
DarkMeph wrote:
The question I want to know you mentioned merchant would they not be hostile since this is an Endless planet and you set of the planetary defences? To me that makes me think the whole planet would hostile?

DarkMeph

As described on GDD 1, the planet is no longer settled by the Endless:

Mysterarts wrote:
In fact, the planet Auriga once hosted a major settlement of the galaxy-travelling ancestors known as the Endless.

The defenses still work, though. Maybe you are not the first one to fall victim to the defense systems or there is some indignous population, who knows? In any case, there's no reason why there shouldn't be any neutral characters.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 25, 2013, 10:16:02 AM
Hi everybody,

As promised: here's an overview of Dungeon of the Endless. Feel free to discuss: we would love to hear your opinions!

Dungeon of the Endless is a real-time Rogue-Like Dungeon Defense in which the player manages a team of heroes. The player and his team have to protect their shipwreck’s generator (hereafter called the Crystal) and explore and upgrade the dungeon with modules, all while facing waves of monsters and special events as they try to find their way out.

There are several steps which are repeated during the game:

• Start: the player begins at the ship wreck with their team of heroes
  • Exploration: the player opens a door, discovering the content of a new room
  • Fight (conditional): if the room contains monsters or triggers a wave
  • Management: the player manages

[LIST=1]
  • The team: level up heroes, heal them, move them…
  • The dungeon: power up rooms, construct modules, improve defences…

• When she is ready, the player opens a new door to an undiscovered room, (a new turn begins for the economy, see below)

• [/LIST]

There is no clear separation between exploration, fight and management. The fight often begins during the exploration, the management can be done at any time, and sometimes the player thinks all the mobs are dead when in fact some are hidden in dark corners.

The game is in real time during these steps, but the game mainly progresses when the player decides to open a new door, as this is when they get resources. For example, she may open a new door before a fight has ended or on the contrary, take all the time she needs to manage her dungeon.

The game economy is based on turns and on a resource system using the four “Endless” resources smiley: fids, each with different functions:

• Dust smiley: dust is needed to power rooms, trade with merchants, and activate a hero’s skill
    • Food smiley: food is needed to hire, level up and heal heroes
    • Industry smiley: industry is needed to build modules and blockades
    • Science smiley: science is needed to unlock new modules and upgrade them

All of the resources are produced at the beginning of a turn thanks to certain modules. Generated resources are stacked, and may be used to perform different actions.

When the game starts the player has the Crystal (generator) from the shipwreck, which is THE critical module because it produces 3 resources (smiley: industry smiley: science :foodsmiley: smile and powers the rooms and the modules inside them. She needs to protect it: If it is destroyed the game is over! The Crystal is fed by the player’s store of Dust smiley: dust, which is found in rooms of the dungeon. Each time she powers a room, it consumes one energy bar. A gauge in the top left of the screen displays the energy level.

The Heroes are used either to explore the dungeon or to manage the modules in order to increase their bonuses. They can be equipped with hero items that boost their stats, and can level up and thus unlock active and passive skills.

When the hero enters a new room, they may find:

• An empty room
    • A merchant
    • An Endless ruin
    • A treasure
    • A game event (NPC / Quest / etc…)
    • Some monsters chilling and having a picnic

The different discoveries are here to galvanise the game flow and challenge the player.

Any thoughts? Let us know! smiley: draw

smiley: amplitude VIP's Feedback

This game design document has been shown to the VIP. At the end of each topic, we will add a little summary of the fruitful discussions.

• A lot of their questions / remarks are about subjects which will be detailed in the next sections (easy to understand since it's an overview!)
    • The Dust smiley: dust management changed since the VIPs version to be more coherent with the background: before, the Crystal and modules could produce Dust but now it's only found in loots in the dungeon
    • There were very interesting gameplay suggestions but we will discuss that later ^^

0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Sep 26, 2013, 8:32:10 AM
    Mysterarts wrote:

There are many others types of events, but it's another gdd that will come later smiley: wink

I know, but it is a classic : a door, a monster, a treasure... Ahh for the good old AD&D days. smiley: smile
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Sep 26, 2013, 8:21:07 AM
    Tredecim wrote:

But thanks for the replies - ofc we could think and have some possible solutions, but confirmations is always welcome smiley: wink

So yes, opening a door is like finishing a turn: you receive new resources and trigger events like waves of monsters.

Sharidann wrote:
    Vienna...

To come back on-topic, when you open a door, you have behind it either nothing, or a monster or a treasure or a combination of the last 2. smiley: smile

There are many others types of events, but it's another gdd that will come later smiley: wink
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Sep 26, 2013, 6:55:06 AM
    Vienna...

hmm Heuriger.... Chicken leg, awesome white wines, 1st Bezirk, Café Central, Coffee, pastries, live piano bar... yummy....

I know, kinda off topic, but I love Vienna. smiley: smile

To come back on-topic, when you open a door, you have behind it either nothing, or a monster or a treasure or a combination of the last 2. smiley: smile

Tredecim wrote:
    Weißwurst ! smiley: stickouttongue

Did anybody say Gamescom? Better come & visit me at Vienna lol

But thanks for the replies - ofc we could think and have some possible solutions, but confirmations is always welcome smiley: wink
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Sep 26, 2013, 6:53:03 AM
    Come on m8,

we all enjoy the curry wurst for the curry, not the wurst. smiley: smile

There is a small shop in Frankfurt where you can choose the sauce, from mild to burning... Really awesome. smiley: smile

InFlamesWeTrust wrote:
    I don't want your dirty German sausage! smiley: stickouttongue
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Sep 25, 2013, 11:49:57 PM
    InFlamesWeTrust wrote:

Weißwurst ! smiley: stickouttongue

Did anybody say Gamescom? Better come & visit me at Vienna lol

0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Sep 25, 2013, 10:16:39 PM
    Nosferatiel wrote:
    Stay quiet and you may get a Currywurst next Gamescom. smiley: stickouttongue

0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Sep 25, 2013, 9:49:26 PM
    InFlamesWeTrust wrote:
    Oh Nos, I was being cryptic and wanted them to work it out! You had to spoil it smiley: stickouttongue

Stay quiet and you may get a Currywurst next Gamescom. smiley: stickouttongue
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Sep 25, 2013, 9:45:29 PM
    Oh Nos, I was being cryptic and wanted them to work it out! You had to spoil it smiley: stickouttongue
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Sep 25, 2013, 9:42:50 PM
    ximulator wrote:
    I have so many questions on how exactly the mechanics and production will work with the pacing of the game, but these will probably be answered in later posts.

Will the crystal produce FIS in realtime? If so does this mean the FIDS are stored in a flat amount? Or will the production tick every time you open a door?

Will the waves also ONLY be triggered by opening a door?

For the first question: No, so far it produces FIS whenever a door is opened.

For the second question, as far as I understood, opening a door OR carrying the crystal around end up in enemies spawning. Why then carry the crystal? That's for another gdd to explain. smiley: stickouttongue
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Sep 25, 2013, 7:57:19 PM
    Well if you think about it logically, what does opening a door liken to in a 4x?
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Sep 25, 2013, 5:27:25 PM
    ximulator wrote:
    I have so many questions on how exactly the mechanics and production will work with the pacing of the game, but these will probably be answered in later posts.

Will the crystal produce FIS in realtime? If so does this mean the FIDS are stored in a flat amount? Or will the production tick every time you open a door?

Well, these two would be currently the most interesting questions for me too. lol
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Sep 25, 2013, 5:06:14 PM

0Send private message
    ?

Click here to login

Comment