Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[DotE] GDD 6 - EVENTS, BLUEPRINTS & MERCHANTS

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Oct 2, 2013, 7:10:14 PM
Why protect merchants? I was hoping for some funny moments with dead merchants and quests to defend them smiley: biggrin

But I'll be fine with the way it will be then, I guess.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Oct 3, 2013, 7:51:07 AM
T41 wrote:
I am getting more and more excited with each GDD lol

This. And I'm already wondering how many more GDDs will come! Thus far they all have been great.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Oct 3, 2013, 11:03:20 AM
Tredecim wrote:
This. And I'm already wondering how many more GDDs will come! Thus far they all have been great.

It's definitely not over, yet. smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
11 years ago
Oct 3, 2013, 11:28:58 AM
Nosferatiel wrote:
It's definitely not over, yet. smiley: stickouttongue

Hip-Hip-Hooray for more GDD teasers smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
11 years ago
Oct 1, 2013, 11:00:39 AM
Event

An event is triggered when the player enters a room.

These events can have different scales, classified in two categories. They may:

• Indoor:

• be located in the room in which they are triggered

• Outdoor:

• affect the whole dungeon
    • affect a random room
    • affect all elements of a certain type (hero, Crystal, resources, modules)
    • trigger a wave (waves can be triggered from different rooms at the same time)

When a door is open, it may happen only one indoor event OR only one outdoor OR one indoor and one outdoor events, creating a lot of combinations.

In any case, the event can result in a reward or create a threat.

Rewards can be:

• A new free hero
  • Some resources
  • An item for the hero
  • The discovery of an Endless ruin
  • etc.

Threats can be:

• a spawn of monsters
  • a destruction of modules
  • an emergency in the dungeon (a fire, a flood, a toxic gas, deactivation of a random room…)
  • etc.

Blueprint

A blueprint allows the building of one type of module. It can be obtained:

• By studying an Endless ruin (mainly)
  • By finding it in a new room
  • By buying it from the merchant

The player can use a blueprint as many times as she wants.

Endless ruins are found in discovered rooms. A hero must spend some time as well as Science smiley: science on it to get a blueprint (See Hero). The player chooses the “direction” of the research (major, offense, support, debuff) and thus unlocks the blueprints of a tech tree that is procedurally generated at the beginning of the game but hidden from the player.

Red: new module / Green : module improvement

After the research, the ruins are destroyed and become a Major slot.

Merchants

Merchants are in certain rooms, replacing the Major slot. They can buy your extra hero items, and they sell some blueprints, hero items and other resources. The only currency is Dust smiley: dust.

Moreover, the Merchant has a limited stock from the start. Its stock includes all hero items you’ll sell to them.

To trade with a merchant, the player has to send a hero into their room and then, by clicking on the Merchant, open the shop panel. This action is possible in a powered or unpowered room.

Bought items and blueprints are stacked in the player’s inventory.

smiley: amplitude VIP's Feedback

This game design document has been shown to the VIP. At the end of each topic, we will add a little summary of the fruitful discussions.

• We confirmed that there is at least one “event” in each room (not all of them are big events, sometimes this is only a loot or some mobs)
  • We confirmed that you start the game with basic blueprints stocked in the spaceship that you have selected
  • They have some good ideas for the merchant's representation, like Endless automated shop or heroes of previous run (!)
  • We discussed these suggestions: a demonic shopkeeper, a mimic, a treason system and a pug
  • They suggested that the merchants must be protected from monsters (and we will add this in the game)

0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Oct 4, 2013, 1:28:46 PM
Doshaburi wrote:

Oh, wait, I found a question : what do the merchants do with the Dust we provide them ? I mean, they have to do something with it, I wouldn't sell useful items for something I don't need. Well, it's really a detail.

With the Dust earned, the merchants can... buy the player items! ^^

Tredecim wrote:
Why protect merchants? I was hoping for some funny moments with dead merchants and quests to defend them smiley: biggrin

But I'll be fine with the way it will be then, I guess.

Defend dead merchants? Why smiley: stickouttongue ?

But you know, you can let them die 3smiley: smile
0Send private message
11 years ago
Oct 4, 2013, 2:00:48 PM
Mysterarts wrote:

Why don't we say the "merchants" are more artisans than merchants and can craft the dust the players give them (overhead for their own livelihood not included, of course) into powerful items?

In that case, you cannot simply rob them. Who should forge your swords, assemble your guns and draw you maybe even some special turret blueprints? They got nothing to rob but their lives, perhaps? smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
11 years ago
Oct 4, 2013, 4:12:17 PM
Mysterarts wrote:

Defend dead merchants? Why smiley: stickouttongue ?

But you know, you can let them die 3smiley: smile

Ah, I should have made my sentence more clear smiley: stickouttongue

Ofc defending is only "useful" when they are still alive smiley: sarcastic
0Send private message
11 years ago
Oct 4, 2013, 4:30:17 PM
Tredecim wrote:
Ah, I should have made my sentence more clear smiley: stickouttongue

Ofc defending is only "useful" when they are still alive smiley: sarcastic

Undead exempted, of course.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Oct 4, 2013, 4:33:01 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
Undead exempted, of course.

Ofc, or is it going to be like WoW with the Forsaken? lol
0Send private message
11 years ago
Oct 6, 2013, 8:33:16 AM
Mysterarts wrote:

Grr ^^ of course they can. I just thought that, in Endless Space, Dust is used to enhanced oneself and empower constructions (especially electronics). I wondered if the merchants wouldn't use it that way to achieve ... well... some projects of their own. Because the Endless Laboratory isn't really the best place to live =p. That would give us another reason to protect them.

Nosferatiel wrote:
Why don't we say the "merchants" are more artisans than merchants and can craft the dust the players give them (overhead for their own livelihood not included, of course) into powerful items?

In that case, you cannot simply rob them. Who should forge your swords, assemble your guns and draw you maybe even some special turret blueprints? They got nothing to rob but their lives, perhaps? smiley: stickouttongue

I really like this idea ^^. It's pretty much what I had in mind, but better said. That could also work if some merchants appear to be machines, destroy them would do no good, except looting some smiley: industry perhaps.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Oct 6, 2013, 3:40:08 PM
Doshaburi wrote:
I really like this idea ^^. It's pretty much what I had in mind, but better said. That could also work if some merchants appear to be machines, destroy them would do no good, except looting some smiley: industry perhaps.

This idea - I like it lol

Mechanic vendors which can be destroyed - now it's getting interesting! Supported smiley: stickouttongue smiley: approval
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment