Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Crash/Lockup and Save Loss (Feedback, not a bug report)

Copied to clipboard!
10 years ago
Jul 29, 2014, 11:28:03 AM
I'm not sure this is actually a bug so much as an issue with my machine.. but some aspect of Dungeon of the Endless' design is certainly exacerbating matters.

It seems if one doesn't quit the game properly, then the current game is lost. While I obviously realise this is to prevent cheating.. could the method against save-scumming perhaps be a little less iron-fisted?

My computer is a smidge unstable (even setting aside any instabilities in the testing builds of DotE), and if it locks up.. well that's it, all my progress in my current save is gone. Could the game not employ a slightly less fragile saving-method? Perhaps say.. overwriting the save with every door/turn rather than deleting it each time it's loaded and creating a new one on a proper quit (as I assume it does at the moment)? As is, if anything goes wrong beyond the game's means to fix, a player's entire progress is lost. It's just too unreliable to commit to playing when you don't have enormous confidence in your machine.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Jul 30, 2014, 9:32:41 AM
There is a forum section for stuff like this. The Devs will probably want your computer specs if you're looking for help. Post this there, and Good luck smiley: smile
0Send private message
10 years ago
Jul 30, 2014, 9:24:30 PM
Well.. thing is I'm not really looking for help.

The issue is my computer is fundamentally unstable and I don't think anything shy of a replacement will fix that, and the way DotE deals with saving means if it plays up then I lose my progress x.x

I think everything's working as intended and I certainly don't think it's the dev's' job to fix whatever intermittently causes my machine to misbehave (besides which it's not just with DoTE). But.. the game would be a lot less vulnerable to loss should such things happen to anyone, for any reason, if it didn't (as it seems to now) purge a save when it's loaded and rather overwrote it regularly or.. something.

Unless you mean I ought have posted this in the [DOTE] Games2Gether subforum..?
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 2, 2014, 10:51:36 AM
I don´t think I missed the point, I understand what you said.

This game, like a lot of them (quick saves, Faster than Light...), only saves the game if you hit the "save and exit" option.

Any other way of exiting the game, such as "exit game", close the aplication, turn off the pc, a blackout... then the temporal save is lost, because it´s erased as you load the game.

I understand that can be an inconvenience, but I can´t see how might that be solved without making you able to load the game each time you don´t like what spawns in the next door.

That´s the point of the game, it´s enervating, but in a good way in my opinion.

Anyway, I still think that it´s not normal that your pc is not stable, and that you might want it formated/checked.
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment