Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Alt-Tab bug

Copied to clipboard!
10 years ago
Jul 3, 2014, 4:06:00 AM
Since DotE is somewhat turn-based, I browse the internet in-between door openings. But when I look at another window, DotE still detects whether my cursor is at the edges of my screen and still moves the in-game view of the map correspondingly.

P.S. would there be a windowed mode at some point? Hehe.

0Send private message
10 years ago
Jul 6, 2014, 4:36:44 PM
I signed up for a forum account just to second this: this game needs a windowed mode. Like FTL, it lends itself very well to a multitasking-oriented gameplay session thanks to having user-controlled bursts of gameplay between low-urgency management sections. The fact that this game forces fullscreen with no way to remove the feature is both antiquated and runs counter to the game's overall design.

First person shooters and action games where the need for attention is dictated by the level design not having a windowed mode, I can understand (though, even TF2 can run windowed). Not supporting such basic usability is absurd.

I have seen that the feature is planned prior to release, but it's such a basic fundamental usability issue that I strongly urge you to increase its priority at at least sit alongside the font size issues.
0Send private message
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 3, 2014, 3:35:23 AM
I hope a windowed mode be added eventually, especially since the pixel perfect size is practically a window for people playing on higher resolutions. What you can do in the mean time if your cursor drifts your game off into the blackness of space is just press tab, it will bring you back to your crystal and spare you the trouble of trying to find the dungeon.

I usually use Steams built in browser to do my surfing while I play.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 5, 2014, 4:34:13 PM
Using the Steam overlay for browsing the internet is cumbersome and slow compared to Chrome. Additionally, it's also a moot point for anyone who uses external instant messaging software such as Skype, who will have to alt-tab out of the game extremely frequently, anyway.

(Also, am I the only one who finds the recent "over a month of no major development news, updates, or word from the developers about DotE extremely disconcerting? From a casual, outside perspective, it looks like the studio has dumped the game before it's even finished to focus 100% on Endless Legends.)
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 5, 2014, 5:15:25 PM
binarian wrote:
Using the Steam overlay for browsing the internet is cumbersome and slow compared to Chrome. Additionally, it's also a moot point for anyone who uses external instant messaging software such as Skype, who will have to alt-tab out of the game extremely frequently, anyway.

(Also, am I the only one who finds the recent "over a month of no major development news, updates, or word from the developers about DotE extremely disconcerting? From a casual, outside perspective, it looks like the studio has dumped the game before it's even finished to focus 100% on Endless Legends.)

The last dev blog post regarding DotE was about 2 weeks ago. Also the second part of the spaceship creation competition ended on Monday, so expect to see a dev blog post any day now regarding the finalist for the competition and some news about the game itself. They have different teams for each game so don't think they've abandoned DotE and moved onto El, that's not true at all. Progression is being made on the game for sure.

If you can't bare to use steams in game browser, and pressing tab when returning to game from using skype isn't working out for you then I apologize but until a window mode is implemented it's the best option you got.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 6, 2014, 1:22:24 AM
DotBeta wrote:
The last dev blog post regarding DotE was about 2 weeks ago. Also the second part of the spaceship creation competition ended on Monday, so expect to see a dev blog post any day now regarding the finalist for the competition and some news about the game itself. They have different teams for each game so don't think they've abandoned DotE and moved onto El, that's not true at all. Progression is being made on the game for sure.

If you can't bare to use steams in game browser, and pressing tab when returning to game from using skype isn't working out for you then I apologize but until a window mode is implemented it's the best option you got.

The last dev blog about DotE's actual development progress was June 19; the two to three since have been 100% devoted to the new game mode contest, which sits in stark contrast to the bi-weekly updates prior to that date which significantly motivated my pre-release purchase. When there is a sudden and radical departure from established trends in a developer's public discourse, it does not come off well for the consumer. Whether or not they're making actual development progress is irrelevant when what's being discussed is outside perception.

As to your rather snarky response, I've simply stopped playing the game until the issue is rectified; better to play a working final product than leave a bad taste in my mouth with what they've currently provided.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 6, 2014, 3:18:52 AM
snarky? Just trying to be helpful is all.

Multiplayer is being worked on right now afaik so I can imagine they're hard at work implementing it. Take a look at the roadmap for an idea of what they're working on currently aside from MP. Other than that aside from a dev chiming in I'm out of answers, sorry if it's not what you want to hear.

Patience is virtue, if you feel the need to take a break from the game until a large update is released it's not my place to tell you otherwise.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 6, 2014, 8:37:24 AM
Hey guys,

I just wanted to let you know that the windowed mode should be available in the next update.

A blog post is also actually going to be published very soon to explain the lack of updates for DotE. Indeed, now we have reached the Beta, releasing any kind of content, even what you consider to be the smallest features, gets really tricky as the entire game is impacted by our changes. As you already know, we've started working on several important game features such as the Multiplayer, and our VIPs but also our QA team are already given us plenty of feedback to fix issues but especially improve the game.

Despite the summer holidays, game events, and whatnot, there's still a team working full time of the game so you should not worry about the development, but I do apologise for the lack of updates; sometimes, we're so focused on something we forget to actually let you guys know "hey, we're still here and working hard!".

smiley: smile
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment