Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Bug With Door Count?

Copied to clipboard!
9 years ago
Jun 7, 2015, 6:38:11 PM
The (total) number of doors opened, in my Journal, has stopped climbing, even though I am still progressing in an ongoing game with the Drill Pod. This appears to be a bug?

Description: I started a Drill Pod game on Easy with random heroes. I started with Golgy and Elise, but got Golgy killed on an early floor (she's quite fragile) when I made a mistake. I picked up Rakya, Chef and Max along the way, then dropped Elise for Mormish somewhere around Floor 11-13, as I was using Elise as a pure operator and found a stronger one. On Floor 23 (I think?) I got greedy, tried to pull off a maneuver of opening a couple of doors real quick then running the crystal without dealing with the waves from those doors, and I lost Rakya to multiple self-detonators going off at once. (She runs too slow. A few extra resources were not worth the risk, it seems. Lesson learned, even though I have pulled off this trick several other times.) Then shorthanded, I lost Max to detonators on Floor 24 while fighting in three separate places. However, Chef is still quite mighty with his whole-floor AoE, so I have been able to limp through a couple more floors and am still going.

The problem is that somewhere in there, I am not sure where exactly, my Doors-opened count froze at 5869. Since one of my goals is to advance toward the 10000 door achievement, it matters to me if the game is failing to count some doors.

Possible causes:

* Does Drill Pod stop counting after Floor 24? If so, that would be pretty nasty.

* My crystal came under attack on Floor 26, and a different bug triggered. I got the bug where I could not save "Until the Current Event Ends", but the wave was over. When this bug happens, you can't save for the rest of the floor, and I wonder if it also has a side effect on door count. However, the inability to save clears up if you make it to the next floor, but my door count remained frozen. Currently on Floor 27 as of this writing, and when the Docs were zipped.

* Could the loss of heroes have affected the door count? Or running the crystal with waves active?

Specs: Windows 7 64 bit, 1920x1080 res, ATI Radeon 7800 series with current driver, i7 3820 @ 3.6g, 16g ram

Version: 1.0.63

Docs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5mumm0sq5xtuekq/Sirian23.zip?dl=0

- Sirian
0Send private message
9 years ago
Jun 7, 2015, 10:59:19 PM
Update: While doors from Floors 26 and 27 were not being added to my total in the Journal, I've since advanced to Floor 28 and the doors there *are* being added. Strange stuff indeed.

- Sirian
0Send private message
9 years ago
Jun 8, 2015, 10:14:06 AM
Several more Floors completed. Doors still counting, so that's good.

Catastrophe on Floor 31, though. I got overwhelmed. Too little dust, difficult layout. ...

One of my strategies for dealing with tough situations is to capitalize on a spur with one or two major modules in it. Park my two operators (one, in the current situation) on two modules in a direction and then open no more doors in that direction until all other directions are out of doors to open. So then I gain two things from this move: the operators are safe and out of harm's way (although that's not always ideal) but more importantly, the major modules are safe from monsters that might destroy them; and immediately after opening a fresh door and receiving income, I can power down those two rooms and light up two others. The operators can't leave their rooms without losing operation bonus for a turn or more, but they can still boost my safe room count by standing there in unpowered rooms. It's a micromanagement-heavy tactic and risky for Sanitary pod, but any other pod you can pause and do this safely, if you wish. This has gotten me through a lot of tough layouts and situations. Two operators, two active heroes, a nice mix. (Sometimes I run three operators, but the third has to be a combat operator who holds the line at the main defense junction. And they cannot always operate if the floor has intense major module attackers.)

... So I opened the first door on Floor 31, found a major module but no dust. So I have 12 dust and a room with my operator and some Pals occupying the two minor slots. I was running Industry in the major. Only one other door off the crystal room so Chef goes that way. Nasty layout with little dust, on a floor with crystal guys (major smashers) and self-detonating bees, and the fastest monster in large packs. The latter was the worst part of it, as modules alone cannot handle large packs of those with just a few powered rooms. Despite all that I was doing fine until that side of the crystal ran out of new doors to open after opening about nine or so. Eek. Mormish is a good operator but one of the weakest fighters. I had a cushion of a couple of doors before I would hit a bad situation, where a hero would be needed on each side of the crystal. Just as I was approaching that situation, I opened a door and found a merchant. Well well. Tough choice. Build a shop safely tucked in a spur off the fully opened side, or stick with the plan to use Mormish as a blockade on that side. My odds of getting off the floor seemed better if I went with the 4 dust per remaining door opened, so I took the chance. (Mormish lvl 15 with +8 Wit from items and 3x Level 4 Pals = 4 dust per door from a merchant shop. This is not the only hero who can pull 4 per, but there aren't many of them.) The very next door is when the catastrophe struck. ... So there were also rhino riders in the mix. ... Yeah. You see where this is going.

So there I am with 53 dust, trying to stop a rhino on the unfinished side of the crystal, when my lack of a hero on the finished side let a few almost-dead speedy runs through, and my "Crystal is being attacked" alarm goes off. I paused and swapped on my speed-boosting items for Chef and ran him down there. 51... 47... As soon as Chef was in the crystal room, I swapped on my Arrrrhmani Suit for taunt and pulled all the mobs off the crystal. That's when one of the three rhinos popped a door and eight fresh waves spawned. Still not done with the previous batch of monsters, btw. Yes, Chef was running his floorwide attack in chained refreshings, at 18 science a pop, but I was sitting on 3400 science so the cost wasn't really the issue. I needed three of my four powered rooms to keep the Shop open, leaving me just one room to spare. The first room on the active side of the crystal had an industry and two pals in it, so no defense help. I powered one of the other rooms with guns on the Shop side's main hall. If you unpause and repause in less than a second, and you have enough food around (I had about 4500) you can survive some amazing things. Although if you have to burn over 1000 food trying to survive a crystal beatdown, your overall score will actually go DOWN as you struggle to survive. (The game disapproves of massive resource expenditures, apparently, even if you are pulling off an epic crystal defense. You can tell I speak from experience on that.) However, the main downfall of a crystal crisis is the lack of DPS in the crystal room, and the need to keep burning through more and more healing as whatever heroes you have left (or can get there in time) taunt everything off the crystal and get beat on by huge gangs of monsters. But with Chef, and perhaps a couple others who have room-wide damage abilities, a large pool of science for refreshes can make reduce a hopeless situation to a merely desperate one. ... I think the rhinos popped four doors and monsters spawned during three of them, before the rhinos ran out of easily reachable doors and I was able to thin out the hordes enough to go hunt down the rhinos. The 16 extra Dust I got from the shop on those four doors helped a lot, too, as it took my dust up from 46 to 62 and I must have gotten about 8 more from kills, as I now had 7 rooms worth of power and managed to stop the bleeding on the Shop side of the crystal. Chef tanked the active side and though I didn't find the stairs until the 31st(?) door, and had to open the final door for safety reasons, my wayward heroes survived the floor.

Click to see the screenshot.

I lost the Industry module in the crystal crisis chaos, so I went the rest of the floor with only a LAN and the Shop. Tough hit on resources. Down about 200 Industry and 250 Science. Only down about 100 food net, although I healed a couple of dozen times during the floor. All those doors at 7 per covered most of my cost. This wasn't even the worst floor in terms of resource drain, although it's the one where I came closest to losing. I had two really bad floors earlier, one where my Ind went down over 500 and another where I had to use Chef's ability so many times my Science dropped 600. This crisis floor, at least, had nothing attacking my minor modules, so that (at least) was a blessing. I had one easy floor where my Science went back up about 600. Amazingly, my resources are only down a little bit since I lost Rakya and Max. Chef is just amazing for Drill Pod, if you built up a rainy day fund of science and food to get you through bad times. I have opened probably eight or nine cryo tubes but have yet to find a new hero. They can't all be dead, as I never ran in to Kreyang in this game, I don't think. Maybe a couple others too. I keep hoping!

- Sirian
0Send private message
9 years ago
Jun 9, 2015, 1:14:23 AM
New Issue: The update has broken saved games. All I can do with my ongoing game is load autosaves from the beginning of a floor. This includes new saves not working properly: that is, games saved under the new version, from sessions generated by autosave recovery, are not recoverable, forcing another autosave recovery. My Floor 32 has been restarted twice now.

This is a pretty big bummer on an already burdened run. Lots of bugs in this game. Fun game, but I have a young child around and can't always complete a whole floor at a time.

- Sirian
0Send private message
9 years ago
Jun 9, 2015, 3:08:09 AM
None of the doors on Floor 32 were counted toward my total. That third time trying the floor, I drew a much harder layout/situation and came out worse for wear on resources, but I did beat it. My crystal took a hit or two on one early wave. Crystal hits continue to be a source of suspicion for me. Bugs seems to occur more often in the wake of crystal taking hits. ... I could be mistaken, though.

I opened two doors on Floor 33 before saving and exiting. Those two doors counted toward my door total. I am hopeful the game will load properly for my next session, but we shall have to wait and see.

- Sirian
0Send private message
9 years ago
Jun 9, 2015, 8:55:06 AM
Hello Sirian23 and thank you for giving us so many details in your report!

Sirian23 wrote:
New Issue: The update has broken saved games. All I can do with my ongoing game is load autosaves from the beginning of a floor. This includes new saves not working properly: that is, games saved under the new version, from sessions generated by autosave recovery, are not recoverable, forcing another autosave recovery. My Floor 32 has been restarted twice now.

We have mentioned this issue in our Dev Blog.

In Single-player, you might have to restart at the beginning of your floor. In Multiplayer, you might have to restart the whole pod. If you want to finish your game in MP, we suggest you to use a previous version of the game. To access that version, you will have to select in the Steam properties of Dungeon of the Endless, the 'Betas' tab, then select the [1.0.63] version.

We are currently looking into it!
0Send private message
9 years ago
Jun 14, 2015, 8:53:41 AM
I quit on Floor 34. The combination of not being able to save the game, and my doors not counting toward the achievement, was too deflating.

- Sirian
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment