Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Multiplayer Game-Breaking Bug at End of Floor

Copied to clipboard!
9 years ago
Apr 21, 2015, 5:02:18 PM
The other day, when I got to the end of floor 7 in my multiplayer game, we got the crystal to the place where it needed to be, but then when my friends moved on to the elevator screen, I didn't. Monsters kept coming and attacking us, but didn't do damage, our heroes wouldn't fight back, and they eventually destroyed the crystal. the game was then stuck there, as I could do nothing but type, and had to abandon the game.

Additional info: We were playing with 3 players, I was the host. We had Rakya (me), Sara, and Esseb in the party.

I've attached a screenshots. Sorry if they're bad quality, i had to take them from a video (I happened to be recording the game at the time, and the resolution settings were wrong).
0Send private message
9 years ago
Apr 22, 2015, 9:16:14 AM
Hello Zeragoth,

Thank you for your report. I'd like to have more information about your issue, could you please provide us the file below?

Dungeon of the Endless

For PC: /Dungeon of the Endless

For MAC: ~Library/Application Support/Dungeon of the Endless

Thank you!
0Send private message
9 years ago
Apr 23, 2015, 4:42:10 AM
You specified a folder, but not a file name or set of file names. (That I can see?)

My wife and I bought DotE on Steam Sale this past weekend, after trying it on the Free to Play weekend event. It's been a nice surprise, very fun, challenging, and good for coop games.

Unfortunately, out of the dozen or so 2-player games that we've played, over half have ended on bugs, and each time the halting problem has come from a DIFFERENT bug. No bugs seen in single player, only in multi, so far.

1st bug: My UI blanked out (disappeared, vanished) and would not return, after I accidentally dropped a cell phone a couple of inches on to the keyboard. It hit some function keys in the upper left, UI went away, and I pressed every key in the area trying to get the problem to undo. Mouse was no longer responsive either. Nothing worked to restore the UI and my ability to proceed. Had to ctrl-alt-del and shut down the program, come back and nothing to reload from. No saved game. Game over.

2nd bug: Had to step away to respond to waking 1-year-old child. Come back ten minutes later and the game is just jammed on my machine (not hers), but I was host. No saved game. Game over.

3rd bug: Several floors in to a game, upon opening a door, several waves spawned. So far so good, but no, wait. The monsters are invisible and cannot be targeted on my screen, while behaving normally on hers. On my screen I could see the minor modules blasting away -- at nothing, but that nothingness was moving at the normal monster-movement pace -- but with half the heroes out of action (my heroes) she got overwhelmed and we lost. Game over. (Dunno if we could have recovered if this bug had hit early on a floor, but it was late on that floor and we needed my heroes in the fight to survive that wave.)

4th bug: Ending a floor, my two heroes are waiting at the stairs along with one of hers, while her fast hero runs the crystal. Except when she picked up the crystal, my game failed to notice, so on her screen she's off to the exit and exiting the floor, while on mine, nothing is happening and my game is still waiting for me to open a door or do something.

5th bug: My game failed to recognize that certain monsters were killed. So on her game they are dead, but on mine they are not. My game won't let anything happen because its stuck waiting for I don't-remember-what to happen before it will proceed. Can't save, game over.

6th bug: lost connectivity briefly, while I was away from my computer changing a diaper. Wife was still at her desk, noted the disconnect, and went to my computer (the host) to save the game. Well the game did NOT save with all progress intact (so I assume it did not save at all) but we were able to continue (later, when we were able to resume) from an autosave. Except the autosave started our floor over and gave us a completely different floor pattern than the one we were ten or so doors in to at the time of the disconnect. Not being able to save current situation during a disconnect (something bound to happen in many multiplayer games, I imagine) sure felt like a bug. This is the only one that was not game over, but it sure was game-altering.

7th bug: on same game as 6th bug, but a few floors later, we got the same bug that the original poster in this thread described: one person in multi (me, the host, in this case) failed to advance to the elevator screen upon ending a floor. All heroes present at the stairs, but we delayed exiting for a while to let the modules kill some monsters for us and pick up more score, before exiting. Upon exit, my computer remained on the floor with the action continuing while hers advanced to the elevator screen. The crystal was attacked then destroyed on my screen, and the game is over. No save, no nada. The incident looked very much like the original poster's screen shots.

This is a lot of bugs. I can't remember a non-MMO with so high of a bug rate, and even with MMOs I'm talking right-after-release or right-after-update bug nests. This game has been out for a while, and it's still this buggy in MP? We like this game's contents, but these bugs -- all of them -- need fixing asap. This many different bugs, coming one after the next, is fun-destroying. That the game is fairly long and difficult, and multiple hours invested in to playing are being wiped out with each bug, is the worst part of it. I know you want the game to be cheat-resistant, challenging, and so forth, but the game's security features are resulting in lost and ruined games whenever a bug pops up. Not being able to save progress and continue from a last-known-good point after a bug hits is killing our morale. These bugs would be less devastating if they didn't kill off an entire game. (We've had some games where we survived to floor 7+ and lost it by making mistakes, so not every game has ended by a bug, but too many have.)

Although a few of these bugs are different, most seem to follow the same pattern: desynchronization between machines, in one form or another. I know (as a game dev myself) that desynch can be a serious issue for MP games and is not terribly easy to address, but I am hopeful that if you can focus on fixing the core issue of desynching machines that most of these problems can be cleared up in one fell swoop. At the very least, a way to detect that a desynch is in progress and for the game to be saved from there so it can be restarted again instead of ruined, seems to be in order.

- Sirian
0Send private message
9 years ago
Apr 24, 2015, 3:08:54 AM
On the theory that desynchs are to blame for most of the bugs, my wife and I decided to try one more time, with a policy of saving the game after each floor, both exiting and relaunching, and loading from save -- in the hope that desynchs were coming from playing too long of sessions.

Our new attempt was just wiped out by a bug at the end of Floor 3. We got our first repeat bug, my bug #7, with her moving on to the elevator screen and me being stuck in the level. This is the same bug the OP of this thread reported; it may be more common than some of the other bugs we've experienced. ... No saved game to continue from: game over. smiley: frown

With losing well over half our MP play attempts to fatal or halting bug problems, we must reluctantly shelve this game for MP use unless and until it gets fixed.

I won my first single player game today, on "Easy". Is there ever going to be something named harder? Don't really see the point, as the pods cover that. Seems a weird choice to name the hard level Easy. I got three new pods opened. The different strategics involved in different pods is interesting stuff.

- Sirian
0Send private message
9 years ago
Apr 24, 2015, 9:13:37 AM
Hello Sirian23,

We are sorry about these different issues that you have encountered, most of them are due to connection issues.

Could you please tell us what is the color of the light ping when the host and the player opens the multiplayer panel (third top left button)?

We would like to see your files in order to check if there is something wrong (which could explain this strange behavior). smiley: frown

Dungeon of the Endless

For PC: /Dungeon of the Endless

For MAC: ~Library/Application Support/Dungeon of the Endless

Note that the difficulty names are supposed to be a joke, other levels are not planned but some ships offer really more important challenge!
0Send private message
9 years ago
Apr 25, 2015, 2:19:33 AM
The ping color light between us is always green, that we've noticed. (We share resources in coop frequently, so I have that panel open a lot.) We're on 110MBPS cable with fiber optic lines. Both computers are connected via LAN cable to our router.

I'm sure the one time we disconnected was a legit issue with the internet connection (for one or both of us -- it's spring and thunderstorms have been in our area some in recent weeks). Down time like that may be only momentary, when lightning flashes and causes interference, or there may be the odd burp in the signal for some other reason, but reliability is probably over 99.9%. We're not having connectivity issues on any of the other games we play. ... Surely the game is not designed to expect 100% perfect connection at all times for several hours on end? Games as old as 20 years ago had tolerance for a few lost packets. The problem isn't that a disconnect happened once, but that the current game was lost because of it. We would not care if an occasional glitch happened, if we could reconnect, reload and continue on from where we had been. It's the loss of an entire game session over any of these glitches that is painful.

My wife and I both ran the Steam function to check integrity of local game cache. For both of us, all files validated. So if you have DotE plugged in that Steam function fully, that should establish that we don't have corrupted files. Yes? ... I can send you files if you like. You specified a folder, but not which files you are interested in or where and how to submit files to you. Can you be more specific? Thank you.

Thanks for your reply and attention. We have been enjoying the game and hope to be able to obtain stability enough to play it in MP more.

- Sirian
0Send private message
0Send private message
9 years ago
Jun 3, 2015, 8:58:58 AM
After playing lots of single player, I had an insight in to what might be going wrong in MP.

My wife and I tried again, choosing to exit the floor immediately in each case, instead of hanging around at the exit waiting for the defenses to bolster our monster kill count. The monster kill at the end of the level is like a bit of a tower defense puzzle and part of the fun. (Does it also help increase score? Seems to.) But choosing to live without it, we were able to complete and win our next try at MP. We did it in about five short to middle size gaming sessions, with no more than two floors played per session after we got to Floor 6. No weird bugs occurred, no desynchs.

I don't know if the dev team worked on MP stability since my previous posts. My intent was to run a fresh MP game, capture the files when we had a problem, and post them. But we never had a problem this time.

- Sirian
0Send private message
9 years ago
Jun 3, 2015, 10:02:19 AM
Hello Sirian23, I'm glad to see that you haven't encountered any issues this time. Thank you for your feedback! smiley: smile
0Send private message
0Send private message
9 years ago
Sep 29, 2015, 10:10:10 AM
Simmek: did this happen to you in single player or multiplayer session? If multi, were you the one who got stuck outside the elevator screen? smiley: smile
0Send private message
9 years ago
Oct 16, 2015, 7:05:53 PM
My friends and I have been playing multiplayer games for the past few days and have run into this bug numerous times. We have lost all our good runs due to it and not completed the game. It has to do with desync between the host and the clients when you bring the crystal to the exit of the level.

Today the host saw 3/4 in the exit room while the crystal carrier said it was 4/4 and when he turned it in the host stayed on the level while we were on the level complete screen stuck. Yesterday a similar thing happened where the host was in the room before the exit on his screen and we saw everyone in the exit room and activated and were stuck on the level complete screen.

We are going to try different things in an attempt to beat this game together. I think we might have to just sit in the exit room and make sure everyone sees the same thing before continuing or maybe the host has to be the one to run the crystal to the exit. I am not sure but please fix this.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment