Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

My experience at Pax West with the Endless Dungeon Playtest

Copied to clipboard!
2 years ago
Sep 6, 2022, 2:16:04 AM

Hey Everyone, just thought I'd share my thoughts on the playtest of Endless Dungeon that was available at Pax West over the weekend after one of the folks there suggested I put my thoughts here after he took some notes for the Devs.

Art and style

• The Artwork and background ambience for the game is delightful and well done, I don't remember the name of the guy who did the running water, moving leaves or little glowing bugs (He was the one I talked to at the Convention) but it is beautiful, and can be appreciated in the more calm moments between fights/door openings.
  • The heroes look really good! Fitting to the Endless Universe, and the effects of guns and turrets/monsters all feels really good.
  • The overall level design is great! Each having a good theme to go with it and sticking to it will help players immerse themselves in the station.

Gameplay

• Overall I like it! Very different from Dungeon of the Endless (No more Scooby-doo-shenanigans Door cheese like the above), resource collection is much the same with opening doors and making sure to protect the crystal.
    • However, the added TWIST of moving your 'crystal bot' from one area to another makes this much more dynamic and require a bit of planning when delving further into an area, as you need to offer some 'choke points' for automated defenses due to the sheer number of enemies that will start spawning. Your heroes alone, nor the defenses alone can stop all of them.
  • The way the heroes play is also solid, aiming and shooting feels much more involved than the previous 'put them into a room and hope they don't do something stupid AI wise'. 

Suggestions from playing-

• Researching could do with a bit of a 'warning are you sure you want to do this' at lower difficulties or at least in the tutorial, I was taken by surprise when I researched something, didn't read the tool-tip thoroughly, and well... almost lost due to a SECOND wave happening at 4 seconds later.
  • Food for hero upgrades felt a little lack-luster, at least the options I was given felt like they would do very little to help me out for the amount of resources required to produce and use them. I also wasn't sure if my PC's were getting any better as I didn't see a way to 'check' on their 'stats' or level.
  • I never used my hero's abilities because I forgot they even existed. In Dungeon of the endless, both of them would show up when you selected your hero, in the game, there was no real indication beyond a 'flash' and it didn't tell you a basic idea of what your ability did. So... in a way I went through the demo handicapped because of that, sans the AI assistant Player occasionally using their abilities.
  • The ability to position your heroes in other rooms, or give them some 'behavior commands' might be a good idea. For instance, switching to a hero, moving them to a room, and then pressing on some kinda scroll wheel whether you want them to ; "Stay here, Patrol from X to X Room, ect". I also didn't see a use for wits, as my heroes would constantly bunch up, and I presume ONE of them would need to stay behind in a room to operate it and get more resources so.... That didn't happen.
  • The defensive Jellifier (Blue slow down turret AOE) was the MOST clutch thing I used during the game, it was also pretty powerful and perhaps could do with a slight nerf, maybe increasing its industry cost or reducing it's slow down or range. (I would typically place it at the entrance leading to my crystal, and then put 2-3 turrets right behind it... They tended to make mince meat of any creature that came down, save for the big rolly-polly things and the Mechanical foes.
  • A bestiary I HOPE will be unlocked that shows you just what kinds of creatures you've killed, their weaknesses, and relative health and such.

Overall, I enjoyed it! and hope to see more of Endless dungeon!

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
2 years ago
Sep 7, 2022, 8:44:33 AM
Arrogance127 wrote:

Hey Everyone, just thought I'd share my thoughts on the playtest of Endless Dungeon that was available at Pax West over the weekend after one of the folks there suggested I put my thoughts here after he took some notes for the Devs.

Art and style

• The Artwork and background ambience for the game is delightful and well done, I don't remember the name of the guy who did the running water, moving leaves or little glowing bugs (He was the one I talked to at the Convention) but it is beautiful, and can be appreciated in the more calm moments between fights/door openings.
  • The heroes look really good! Fitting to the Endless Universe, and the effects of guns and turrets/monsters all feels really good.
  • The overall level design is great! Each having a good theme to go with it and sticking to it will help players immerse themselves in the station.

Gameplay

• Overall I like it! Very different from Dungeon of the Endless (No more Scooby-doo-shenanigans Door cheese like the above), resource collection is much the same with opening doors and making sure to protect the crystal.
    • However, the added TWIST of moving your 'crystal bot' from one area to another makes this much more dynamic and require a bit of planning when delving further into an area, as you need to offer some 'choke points' for automated defenses due to the sheer number of enemies that will start spawning. Your heroes alone, nor the defenses alone can stop all of them.
  • The way the heroes play is also solid, aiming and shooting feels much more involved than the previous 'put them into a room and hope they don't do something stupid AI wise'. 

Suggestions from playing-

• Researching could do with a bit of a 'warning are you sure you want to do this' at lower difficulties or at least in the tutorial, I was taken by surprise when I researched something, didn't read the tool-tip thoroughly, and well... almost lost due to a SECOND wave happening at 4 seconds later.
  • Food for hero upgrades felt a little lack-luster, at least the options I was given felt like they would do very little to help me out for the amount of resources required to produce and use them. I also wasn't sure if my PC's were getting any better as I didn't see a way to 'check' on their 'stats' or level.
  • I never used my hero's abilities because I forgot they even existed. In Dungeon of the endless, both of them would show up when you selected your hero, in the game, there was no real indication beyond a 'flash' and it didn't tell you a basic idea of what your ability did. So... in a way I went through the demo handicapped because of that, sans the AI assistant Player occasionally using their abilities.
  • The ability to position your heroes in other rooms, or give them some 'behavior commands' might be a good idea. For instance, switching to a hero, moving them to a room, and then pressing on some kinda scroll wheel whether you want them to ; "Stay here, Patrol from X to X Room, ect". I also didn't see a use for wits, as my heroes would constantly bunch up, and I presume ONE of them would need to stay behind in a room to operate it and get more resources so.... That didn't happen.
  • The defensive Jellifier (Blue slow down turret AOE) was the MOST clutch thing I used during the game, it was also pretty powerful and perhaps could do with a slight nerf, maybe increasing its industry cost or reducing it's slow down or range. (I would typically place it at the entrance leading to my crystal, and then put 2-3 turrets right behind it... They tended to make mince meat of any creature that came down, save for the big rolly-polly things and the Mechanical foes.
  • A bestiary I HOPE will be unlocked that shows you just what kinds of creatures you've killed, their weaknesses, and relative health and such.

Overall, I enjoyed it! and hope to see more of Endless dungeon!

Thx for your feedback glad that you like it ^^
There are some of the elements you mention on the suggestion that is changing from that version, but I can not go into details yet.
Also, next week we will have an streaming with some developers, so feel free to join us and ask questions > Wedn 14 sept at 16:00 CET on our twitch channel

0Send private message
2 years ago
Sep 26, 2022, 12:20:43 PM

Hey you made it ! 

I was that one guy at Pax, so glad you made that feedback thread, means a lot :) I brought back some of the feedback you gave me but couldn't remember all of it so thanks a lot

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment