Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

General Feedback for First Run OpenDev

Copied to clipboard!
2 years ago
Jul 1, 2022, 4:23:00 PM

I played a few rounds of this.  You have a good start here, but my general feeling was that it was less fun/more annoying than it should have been for all the wrong reasons.  My complaints are nothing that can't be fixed though.  Also, I really enjoyed the music.  Here is some detailed feedback:

Gameplay

• The balance between action vs. strategy feels weird at the moment. There is not enough of either, and it feels like it can't seem to decide if it wants to be a strategy/tower defense like DotE or a twin-stick action shooter.
    • If it's going to go the action route, there needs to be far more loot, more healing, and fewer enemy spawns. Also, if you're going to focus on run-and-gun action, the enemies need to be positioned in front of where the characters are moving towards instead of spawn points many rooms back. Forcing backtracking just to clean up enemies stops the momentum of the action. At least, I would suggest letting enemy spawn points expire after a few doors while retaining the "enemies spawn from new (or un-powered) rooms" mechanic from DotE, but I would much rather just do without the spawn points entirely and go back to something more in line with the DotE spawning rules.
    • If it wants to be more strategy-focused, then there needs to be a greater emphasis on reliable resource-generation mechanics and major modules. Some additional action compared to DotE will be OK, but you're not going to be able to go all-in on the action if you're still wanting to have heavy strategy elements.
  • The lack of major modules is a significant step down, and the fact that you can't position (or re-position) resource generators on your own ruins a lot of the strategy potential. It's also a terrible when you have to defend a poorly-placed resource generator that you didn't even want to be in that location in the first place.  I found myself losing lots of generators because they would spawn at places that I couldn't defend, which meant I had fewer resources to build defenses, which meant I had even fewer generators, etc.
  • As I mentioned above, the fixed enemy spawn points aren't really that great because they force you to backtrack (which is bad for an action game), and it also means that you're basically going to want to spawn camp those points either in-person or with turrets which breaks the whole "crystal defense" mechanic. The enemies also seemed like they roam around a bit more than DotE which makes both enemy cleanup and generator defense messy.
  • I felt like all of the defense mechanics were so chaotic that there was no coherent strategy behind building defenses around your crystal in preparation for the "big push" at the end when you move the crystal. In DotE, you were constantly building towards the goal of securing safe passage of your crystal to the elevator.  In this game, you're wasting time getting distracted by all of the spawn points, ill-placed generators, etc. just to scrape together enough resources in order to find the exit door in the first place.  And then crystal movement was mostly just hoping that what you have built using your super-limited resources will slow down the enemies enough.  So crystal movement is a really underwhelming compared to DotE.
  • The Dust implementation is not very good in my opinion:
    • Making Dust Shards dual-use for upgrading the Crystal and also powering rooms is annoying because there is usually not even enough Shards to power a decent number of rooms.
    • Requiring the Crystal Bot to spawn waves in order to extract Dust Shards is not fun because it's far too great of a risk.
    • The fact that you can't de-power a room takes away from the strategy element.
  • Wave spawns seemed random and didn't seem connected to opening doors. Do waves now just spawn after a random time elapses?
    • If so, that's annoying because it makes exploration and planning harder.
    • If not, they need to be telegraphed better when a door is opened.
    • For example, I was at a merchant, reading weapon/item descriptions, and suddenly a wave started which killed the merchant before I could pick anything up. I had been reading descriptions for probably 30 seconds or more so I don't think that the wave was spawned by a door.
  • The heroes felt inadequate.
    • The hero AI tends to play poorly and accumulate a lot of unnecessary damage.
    • Heroes feel like they don't damage enemies enough which means that the strategy element of leaving a hero in a room full of turrets is just a dead hero in the making.
    • I do not see how a party of only 2 or 3 heroes is going to be workable late-game.  I make full use of all 4 in DotE.
    • The hero skills/ultimates didn't really feel that effective.
    • If you're playing with a controller, it's hard to direct heroes using the command wheel.  In the amount of time it takes to hold the button, you've already lost 25% of your health.
  • Healing isn't as good as DotE
    • Lack of Food-based healing makes it hard to keep you and your teammates alive during a wave - especially when the AI tends to be a bit reckless.  Making players wait to RNG a Medkit vending machine is not a good solution to this issue.
    • Also, the lack of full auto-heal after a wave makes the game less manageable than DotE.
  • Getting character upgrades from Food vending feels like a step down for character building since you can't actually upgrade your characters unless you RNG a vending machine.  The randomness of the upgrade options themselves also makes character building hard.
  • Forcing us to smash crates to get the FIS bonuses for a room is tedious.
  • The economy balance in general is bad. It's really hard to bring up enough defenses to protect a new generator and gets even worse if the generator is poorly-placed by the RNG.
  • Making us endure extra waves just do research is not fun.  I didn't get to research a lot because of a lack of Science, but once I finally scrounged enough Science to research something it was so late in the floor that I would have been overwhelmed by the extra wave.
  • The delay caused by the Crystal Bot opening the door is sort of awful because it forces the bot to stay in the same place while all of the mobs swarm the exit room. Not a great design, and DotE did just fine without this sort of arbitrary time delay.
  • I didn't find the exploding barrels particularly useful.
  • It looks like generators can block your own bullets? Not a good design because it makes mobs hard to kill if they are swarming your generator.

UI and Other Miscellany

• The rooms can be too dark at times.
  • Items are hard to pick up at merchant. You have to sort of shuffle back and forth until you're in just the right spot to pick an item up.
  • What is going on with ultimate attacks needs to be clearer. I heard a sound, my character flashed, and there was a 4 on my character icon. I still have no idea what that means other than it appears to have something to do with the ultimate attacks.
  • The Crystal Bot got stuck with a "Crystal is busy" message at exit door in tutorial. I later realized that it takes time for the bot to open the door. The cause of this delay needs to be clearer.
  • There did not appear to be any prices on the items sold by the merchants. I initially thought that they were free every few turns.
  • It appears that repairing a turret also upgrades it? If so, this should be explained better.
  • Inventory management is weird. It's hard to see what is equipped, and you can't see how much of a benefit you're getting when you compare items.
  • I will also throw in my obligatory complaint about Denuvo and how it is anti-consumer.

Bugs

• Performance is generally abysmal. (Maybe Denuvo is to blame?)
    • Opening video stuttered a few times.
    • Would stutter in-game sometimes when firing a weapon.
    • Loading times are abysmally long. (But not quite as bad as Humankind.)
  • I had lots of crashes during the loading screens.
  • Somehow I was able to have two copies of the same hero in the Character Select screen by fiddling with the LT/RT buttons not sure if that's intentional.

Based on what I've played, you all at Amplitude should probably play some Neurovoider, Alien Breed Trilogy, and Torchlight 1 (not Torchlight 2 - it is more open-world) and pay attention to the action aspects of those games.  All of them are going for a similar goal that you are aiming for action-wise, and you may pick up a few ideas there.  I would also recommend looking at Transistor for a good example of strategy/action balance.  (And if you're looking for even more ideas, I would recommend Enter the Gungeon, Dandy Ace, and Neon Chrome for roguelite dungeon crawling ideas.)  However, you are going to have to decide what sort of game this is going to be (action or strategy) and commit to that direction.  Right now it feels like you are a "master of none" in the design department.

EDIT: More feedback posted below

Updated 2 years ago.
0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 1, 2022, 4:55:21 PM

Yeah, I would agree with most of the feedback here.  Additionally, you can't really keep track of or interact with how your defenses are holding up during a wave. For single player at least, there should be a pause or dramatic slowdown while interacting with consoles/merchants, and looking at the tactical map.  Additionally, you should be able to order heroes around from the tactical map--"go here" "repair this" "use skill", that kind of stuff.

I feel like I'd like to have some control over where the enemies are coming from.  That was a key element of DotE strategy. One idea I had would be to increase the number of spawners, but allow dust shards to be used to destroy them.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 1, 2022, 5:47:51 PM

Most of your complaints seem to be that you don't like the challenges of the game.

Not being able to reposition the resource generators means you have to consider if they are worth defending, and then being able to defend them for a cost effective amount of resources.

You aren't supposed to light up rooms most of the time, it just gives you another defense option if you really don't like the layout you have, or you need a machine which is offline on that floor.

Heroes will automatically back away from enemies so if they aren't killing enough or taking too much damage, you need more turrets in front of them.

I agree that the wave spawn mechanic needs some work.

In the current balance, you should pretty much need to heal like twice per run. Food does need a massive rework.

The economy balance does need a lot of work, but once you kind of learn the meta for the game then defending generators is not that hard.

Research is a risk vs reward mechanic. It's part of the challenge and strategy of the game.

I think a game can be both action and strategy. Once Endless Dungeon gets more development it will be more clear how it all fits together, be more fair and balanced, and more fun. Right now it's missing a lot of pieces that you kind of have to use your imagination to fill in how it might work in the finished game.

Updated 2 years ago.
0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 1, 2022, 9:11:23 PM

I agree with some (most?) of your remarks. Here's what I don't agree with:

- Fixed spawning points can also be a good thing because you know where the waves are coming from and you can organize your defences accordingly. But I agree that it might be better if they could be destroyed (with dust?) or if they expired after a certain number of waves.

- Placing generators was always risky, even in DotE. I think it's just part of the challenge of the game. Don't build it if you can't defend it :-P
- Same remark for mining with the Crystal Bot. It's a good thing that the game rewards you with rare ressources if you show some skills. However, I agree that there should be another way to get dust shards.

- Random spawns need a bit of balancing but I still think it's a good addition to the game. It's keeping up the tension.
- Hero skills were good. They're not super powerful but you get them pretty often so that's a nice way to take care of huge groups of enemies in a wave.

- I actually didn't have much problems with healing. Full auto-heal might be a feature in easier game modes.

- Again, I liked the challenge of defending your research instead of waiting a few turns like in DotE. I might actually nice to leave the choice to the player: a slow research with no additional wave, or an immediate one but with an extra big wave.

- Defending the bot was really fun. And it really gave me the feeling of defending the crystal against those hordes of enemies. In DotE, I just pick it up and ran straight to the elevator before any monster could reach it, which was less interesting.

- My laptop isn't that great but I had not major performance issues. A few lags on the first run, but it seems to be doing perfectly fine now. I did got the crashes during the loading screens though...!

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 2, 2022, 4:19:10 PM

I played this some more, but this time I used the mouse and keyboard.  Here is some more feedback:

• Mouse and keyboard is a little more manageable than a controller because it is a little easier to give commands to your teammates.
    • It is still difficult to issue teammate commands though since you have to be in the same room as your teammate in order to issue a Stay Here command.  There does not appear to be a way to issue a Move To This Room command without actually being in that room yourself.
    • Also, the fact that you're still forced to use the command wheel with the mouse/keyboard is really awkward.
    • The default keyboard bindings are a bit spread out which makes it a little hard to do special attacks or use a Medkit.
  • The Crystal should heal after every stage.  I reached Stage 2, and my Crystal was at such low health that it was basically impossible to move it anywhere.  Healing the Crystal after every stage would also align with the Crystal/Dust mechanics from DotE.  A way to do minor heals on the Crystal in the middle of a stage should be available as well.  DotE allowed you to collect Dust (from rooms, selling items, operating a Shop, enemy drops, etc.) as a way heal the Crystal in small amounts.
  • Also, it would probably be appropriate to replenish Medkits and Dust Shards at the beginning of every stage.  By the time I reached Stage 2, I had no Dust Shards, no Medkits, there were probably half a dozen un-powered rooms with most of them right next to the starting room, and one of the closest un-powered rooms had an enemy spawn.  So it was hard for me to even get started.  This ties back into my economy complaints in my previous feedback, but this change would ensure that the players at least have a fighting chance when entering a new stage.
  • Even with the somewhat better control over teammates when using mouse and keyboard, I still found the strategy component ruined by the random wave spawns.  I would be trying to position my heroes, build turrets, buy upgrades, break the barrels for extra FIS, etc. and all of a sudden a wave would spawn which would force me to try to run my primary hero all over the map and place my teammates in their appropriate rooms before the wave started.  Being able to issue a Move To This Room command would help this a little, but it won't help with the fact that you can be interrupted while you're still trying to set up defenses, repair/upgrade turrets, or buy hero upgrades/items.
  • I still find research and Crystal Shard mining completely worthless and not worth the risk of losing Crystal health.  I'd rather set up more of the turrets that I already have and hope for the best.
  • It is helpful that the minimap tells you when an object is under attack (like a generator, merchant, etc.), but it would be more helpful if an arrow would appear in the main view which showed where said object is.  (Something similar to the indicators used in DotE which show when a merchant or door is under attack.)

It's not that I don't like the challenges of the game, but after thinking about it some more I think my biggest issue is a lack of control over the action:

• I have no control over the timing of the wave spawns which means that I have less control over defense planning.
  • I have limited control over my teammates, and what control I do have is awkwardly implemented.
  • I have a lack of control over my defenses because the economy issues make materials scarce.
  • I have very little control over my hero upgrades due to the vending machine requirement and high upgrade prices.
  • I have very little control over research due to the risk of the extra wave spawn and high research costs.
  • I have no control over generator placement because the RNG dictates where they appear and whether they appear in an un-powered room that I do not have Dust Shards to power.  (Which means that I almost always just build Industry generators just to barely have enough resources to actually build defenses.)
  • I also generally have very little control over which rooms are powered because Dust Shards are rare/risky to mine, and I can't move Dust Shards from one room to another.

So if the amount of chaos could be reduced in Endless Dungeon while reestablishing a DotE-like feeling of control, then I would feel a bit better about this game.

Updated 2 years ago.
0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 3, 2022, 6:46:51 AM

I agree that when you reach a new stage you should get like 5 FIDS, a heal on the crystal, and a med kit. It would suck to "make it" but not even be able to put down an industry generator and one turret.

Research is very strong, even with the game being as short as it is. The electric turrets are a little weak, but all of the others are definitely worth researching.

I agree there should be better control systems, although how you might send them around the map remotely would be difficult to implement such that it could be done in the 15 seconds before a wave with a controller. You pretty much have to leave heroes where they will need to be, and only explore with one.

I do think that more of the difficulty is coming from RNG than from consistent challenges. You can adapt to one or two challenges, but when too many different bad types of RNG hit you in one run, it can be oppressive. Hopefully small tweaks to many of the systems you named will help even that out.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 4, 2022, 12:40:50 PM

I 100% agree with OP.

I don't think the problem is "it's too hard", and I'm not really concerned about how hard/easy it is, because that can obviously be balanced up fairly late in the piece or given difficulty levels. I'm more concerned about is the core gameplay loop compelling. Compared to DotE, a lot of the really interesting decisions have been taken away; as SpikedWallMan says, there is a lack of control here.

I think the two biggest problems, almost deal-breakers for my enjoyment of the game, are:

1. Waves spawn at random times or on some kind of hidden timer, rather than when you open a door. That means I don't have control over the pacing of the game. I can't relax and think about upgrades, turret placement, etc. It's always go go go.
  2. Replacing the "dark rooms spawn monsters" mechanic with fixed spawn locations. That means I don't have (limited) control over where enemies spawn, which removes a meaningful decision about how I want to set up my defenses.

IMO, these two mechanics (waves spawn on door open, dark rooms spawn monsters) were the two pillars on which the entire of DotE was built, and removing them makes for a significantly less interesting game.

ThePeacefulGeek wrote:
Fixed spawning points can also be a good thing because you know where the waves are coming from and you can organize your defences accordingly.

But DotE already handled this in a much more graceful and player-driven way: you control the spawn points based on which rooms you light up. I cannot overstate how brilliant the dust / room lighting mechanic was. You don't have full control because there's only so much dust. Early on in a level, you can likely light up all the rooms, so you'll only have to deal with spawns in the room where you open the door. But as things get more hectic you will inevitably have to make difficult decisions about which rooms to leave unpowered. You can't choose how many unpowered rooms there will be (but you can improve it with good economic management), but you get to choose where those rooms are, so you can prepare your defences.

ED just removes that whole mechanic and makes it essentially random (fixed, but out of your control). I don't even know what the point of spending dust to light up a room is any more: is it just to access the building slots? Seems like something you'd only do if desperate, because dust is also used for presumably vital crystal upgrades.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 4, 2022, 3:29:57 PM

Hola!
Agree that there are some tweaks to make it more balance (like the 3 resources) but I think the long you play, you know how the "meta" works so it get quite easy (personal experience here), like arriving to Procedural Factory with +50 industry, and I saw a screenshot of +100 science (super crazy).
There need to be adjust as well on the waves, but, peronally,I like the tension that created the not knowing when will happens, but perhaps there couldbe hints (?) like, bugs is approaching...
It will be an screen for the characters, in which you will get the details, so no worries on that side.
Note to make, this is not like a Dungeon of the Endless 2, so there are connections or inspiration point, yes, but it is not a 2nd part and therefore the mechanics are different, because I have the impression that you are looking more for a successor (please do not take it as an attack to you).
Sorry I couldn´t cover all the topics, but do not worry as I will transmit it to the team.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 4, 2022, 4:00:33 PM
Daarkarrow wrote:

Note to make, this is not like a Dungeon of the Endless 2, so there are connections or inspiration point, yes, but it is not a 2nd part and therefore the mechanics are different, because I have the impression that you are looking more for a successor (please do not take it as an attack to you).

Thanks for the response here.  No offense taken.  I'm not really expecting this to be a sequel to DotE.  In fact, I'm genuinely surprised you brought forward so many DotE strategy elements.  But as I mentioned in my first feedback post, my issue is that it's clinging too tightly to DotE's strategy concepts while also trying to be an action game.  If you don't want it to be exactly like DotE, then that's fine.  But if you want it to compete with the likes of the other action roguelites that I mentioned above, then my opinion is that you're going to have to scale back some of the "slow" strategy elements of ED in order to make more room for "fast" elements like combat and exploration.  I'm thinking of things like reducing the amount of required backtracking (in order to defend the Crystal or deal with a spawn point that the turrets cannot handle on their own), making heroes more mobile (by relaxing the requirement to leave a hero in the same room for the entire floor because a full room of turrets is too weak to handle a spawn point on their own), and not distracting the player (with things like having to rush backwards through the dungeon to a spawn point because a wave suddenly started).  And most importantly, as I said before, the enemies in an action roguelite typically appear in front of you and not many rooms behind you.

Thanks for passing my feedback on to the team.  Hope it is helpful.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 4, 2022, 4:10:48 PM

Yep getting a balance between strategy and more "action" is quite tricky, 1 small change can be like, okay turrets is like 90% and heroes 10% and other change can do the exact opposite ^-^´

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 5, 2022, 5:10:21 AM
Daarkarrow wrote:
Note to make, this is not like a Dungeon of the Endless 2

I actually was expecting DotE 2 so maybe those expectations do need to be reset a bit. It makes sense that this is trying to be a different game in terms of how the action plays out (twin-stick shooter instead of RTS controls), but the change to a fully real-time game (basically due to waves spawning at random times) doesn't make sense to me, given that you're keeping so many of the slow-paced planning aspects of DotE, but not giving us time to really think through them.

If we remove the preconceptions of this being related to DotE, and just look at it as a fresh game, I still don't think it really works. By making things spawn at random times, you're basically asking players to play as fast as possible all the time. There isn't time to think or plan, you just need to smash down as many turrets and open as many doors as you can before the next wave arrives. Your survey suggests that you want to get the balance right between strategy (high-level planning) and action (moment-to-moment gunplay), but I don't think that balance really even exists right now, because you're asking us to play so quickly.

I think SpikedWallMan is right: if you really want to make this game have spawns at random times, then you need to rethink everything, and remove most of the strategic elements to pare it back to a basic action game. But I would very much prefer that you don't remove those elements, and instead give us time to plan in between waves (by letting us trigger the wave by opening doors).

I also think it's a misconception to think "we're making an action game, therefore we can't have boring parts where you're just building and planning and nothing is happening." Virtually all games have downtime where the player has unlimited time to trigger the next bout of action. In another thread, I compared this to Diablo but if the town got randomly attacked by monsters every few minutes, so you never had time to slow down and do any thinking about your build. There's a reason basically every RPG has a town where no enemies can attack. FPS games have quiet moments where you can collect yourself before continuing on to the next action segment. The only genre I can think of that doesn't really give you a moment of downtime is RTS, where similar to ED, you get harrassed constantly and have to make decisions on the fly. But RTS games don't include random elements that require careful consideration; typically you can go into, say, a StarCraft mission with a plan of what to do, so you don't really need time to pause and decide. (e.g. in StarCraft I have the same research options in every game, whereas in ED I get presented with 3 random options and need to think which best applies to my situation.)

Daarkarrow wrote:
There need to be adjust as well on the waves, but, peronally,I like the tension that created the not knowing when will happens

I personally didn't feel any tension (unlike in DotE where there's a definite moment of tension before opening each door). In my first run, I was playing very slowly like I would play DotE, taking time to think over all the decisions presented, and then when a wave happened (often while I was browsing the merchant or pondering a research choice), I was just frustrated that my planning phase was interrupted. In my second run, I tried doing everything as quickly as possible to try and reduce the number of waves, and then there was no tension, just a feeling of being completely overwhelmed.

Apologies if I sound overly negative. I appreciate the opportunity to test an early build of the game and give feedback. I'm just a bit frustrated with essentially a single design decision that appears to have sucked all the enjoyment out of one of my favourite game design systems of all time.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 5, 2022, 8:20:22 AM
mgiuca wrote:
Daarkarrow wrote:
Note to make, this is not like a Dungeon of the Endless 2

I actually was expecting DotE 2 so maybe those expectations do need to be reset a bit. It makes sense that this is trying to be a different game in terms of how the action plays out (twin-stick shooter instead of RTS controls), but the change to a fully real-time game (basically due to waves spawning at random times) doesn't make sense to me, given that you're keeping so many of the slow-paced planning aspects of DotE, but not giving us time to really think through them.

If we remove the preconceptions of this being related to DotE, and just look at it as a fresh game, I still don't think it really works. By making things spawn at random times, you're basically asking players to play as fast as possible all the time. There isn't time to think or plan, you just need to smash down as many turrets and open as many doors as you can before the next wave arrives. Your survey suggests that you want to get the balance right between strategy (high-level planning) and action (moment-to-moment gunplay), but I don't think that balance really even exists right now, because you're asking us to play so quickly.

I think SpikedWallMan is right: if you really want to make this game have spawns at random times, then you need to rethink everything, and remove most of the strategic elements to pare it back to a basic action game. But I would very much prefer that you don't remove those elements, and instead give us time to plan in between waves (by letting us trigger the wave by opening doors).

I also think it's a misconception to think "we're making an action game, therefore we can't have boring parts where you're just building and planning and nothing is happening." Virtually all games have downtime where the player has unlimited time to trigger the next bout of action. In another thread, I compared this to Diablo but if the town got randomly attacked by monsters every few minutes, so you never had time to slow down and do any thinking about your build. There's a reason basically every RPG has a town where no enemies can attack. FPS games have quiet moments where you can collect yourself before continuing on to the next action segment. The only genre I can think of that doesn't really give you a moment of downtime is RTS, where similar to ED, you get harrassed constantly and have to make decisions on the fly. But RTS games don't include random elements that require careful consideration; typically you can go into, say, a StarCraft mission with a plan of what to do, so you don't really need time to pause and decide. (e.g. in StarCraft I have the same research options in every game, whereas in ED I get presented with 3 random options and need to think which best applies to my situation.)

Daarkarrow wrote:
There need to be adjust as well on the waves, but, peronally,I like the tension that created the not knowing when will happens

I personally didn't feel any tension (unlike in DotE where there's a definite moment of tension before opening each door). In my first run, I was playing very slowly like I would play DotE, taking time to think over all the decisions presented, and then when a wave happened (often while I was browsing the merchant or pondering a research choice), I was just frustrated that my planning phase was interrupted. In my second run, I tried doing everything as quickly as possible to try and reduce the number of waves, and then there was no tension, just a feeling of being completely overwhelmed.

Apologies if I sound overly negative. I appreciate the opportunity to test an early build of the game and give feedback. I'm just a bit frustrated with essentially a single design decision that appears to have sucked all the enjoyment out of one of my favourite game design systems of all time.

No worries, all feedback is nice and you didn't sound, to me, super negative, just constructive criticism which is nice. From the different feedback I saw, its like you like it or hate it (wave system). So perhaps there should be some moments of not counting to waves (like merchant, hero upgrade machine), like safe spaces? But we will need to see with the team.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment