Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

removing saved game when crystal destroyed : a bit too harsh ?

Copied to clipboard!
2 years ago
Jul 8, 2022, 6:50:38 PM

Could it be a game option instead , when you start the game  ?

I find it to be a bit harsh to have to restart from  the beginning ( maybe im just bad at the game -)  It could be a kind of perma death option, explaining that the destruction of the crystal means restarting from scratch

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 8, 2022, 7:58:02 PM

It is permadeath, because this is roguelike. Losing crystal = game over, by design. Same as in Dungeon of the Endless.

Updated 2 years ago.
0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 10, 2022, 8:08:39 AM

Sorry but this is pretty much core to to the roguelike formula. If there wasn't permadeath, then you would be able to just push forward indefinitely until you win, and then you'd have no reason to restart and learn the right strategies until you're good enough to beat it.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 10, 2022, 6:08:45 PM

I don't mind needing to start a run from scratch (as mentioned, this is the roguelike gameplay loop), but I hope they add something - anything - that carries over between runs. Right now it seems like all I can do is try and try and try again without getting anything to help along. From my experience with roguelikes (which is admittedly limited when it comes to action ones, specifically, since I mostly play deck-building types), many other roguelikes/roguelites have something to improve between runs: Hades has new weapons and passives, Slay the Spire has new cards you can unlock, Hand of Fate 2 has new weapons and events, etc. I haven't noticed anything like that here, so it just seems like you do the same thing repeatedly until you do it well enough, instead of actually gaining any strength or feeling like your chances are improving. Which means more casual players, myself included, won't be enticed to keep trying if victory feels too out of reach.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 10, 2022, 11:26:28 PM

They've said it's going to be a "rogue-lite" which implies some kind of meta progression, but they haven't said what form it will take. There's a thread speculating about the meta progression.

(Note that this playtest has a small piece of meta progression, unlocking 3-hero mode.)

As I said in the other thread, I hope that the meta progression is about unlocking new modes and possibilities, rather than continuously growing in power (a la Rogue Legacy) which for me ruins the entire concept of a roguelike since it becomes about grinding levels instead of getting better at the game.

Updated 2 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 11, 2022, 11:12:36 AM
The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales wrote:

I can confirm there will be metaprogression. But that's all I can say right now.

Woah, a meta-announcement on metaprogression...

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 11, 2022, 11:53:17 AM

Cross-posting a comment I just wrote on the other metaprogression thread (a meta-comment on metaprogression :)): link to comment. In which I quote an IGN article that drops a few hints about how the metaprogression is planned to work.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 11, 2022, 3:31:29 PM

Oh, great! Thanks :) I hadn't heard about that being confirmed. I'm excited to see how the metaprogression ends up working.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment