Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

General UI discussion

Copied to clipboard!
2 years ago
Jul 2, 2022, 1:17:09 AM

Heya, 

I played the OpenDev and enjoyed it thoroughly, so here I am to provide feedback.

I think the general UI could use some tweaks in relation to readability, icons on top for characters' portraits are too small and are hard to keep track of in the middle of a fight.

The dialogues in the hub area, the white text is hard to see on the bits it's over characters, maybe a translucid background or an outline for the letters. Or just move the text a bit to the right.

While I think the low light of most rooms gives them a good mood, it makes it hard to make out enemies, maybe an option for a togglable highlight or a slider?

As it is now, the text is very small. I have bad eyesight so the small UI is hard to read, different font sizes would be very useful! The option for different font sizes would also be great for people who would play on a TV or far from the monitor. Being able to better adjust the size of other UI elements would be neat too, I'm not sure how hard these things are to implement though.

I think there isn't enough information on what our current loadout is, since a big aspect of the game is strategy, information should be readily available so a player can better know how to make decisions and spend resources. Also, during one of my sessions I forgot how a character's ultimate worked, I found myself searching for a description I could mouse over or something so I could better understand what was happening on screen. Some character-based shooters allow you to hold a key (usually F1) for a quick description of a character's abilities, I made a quick mockup of how I envisioned it could work for ED.

Or maybe I just didn't pay attention to a command the game already had, sorry!

Anyway, from the top of my head that's about it. Still crossing my fingers for a playable Umbral Choir character.

Keep up the good work guys!

Updated 2 years ago.
0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 2, 2022, 3:52:55 PM

In-game information I think is a work in progress for sure, as DotE had a big emphasis on itemization and ever fluctuating stats and (USUALLY) communicated them very well, we'll probably see inventory systems and more in-game information as they work on it

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 4, 2022, 10:47:53 AM

There will be an in-game screen with all the information, no worries about that.
But agree that options to increase the font/scale could be a nice addition.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 4, 2022, 12:18:02 PM

One major UI pain point for me was that I kept accidentally triggering crystal movement by touching the special door or floor plate without really realizing what it was. This is a massive event and should be communicated well ahead of time: with clear markers that this is the special door, and a confirmation prompt. (Note that in DotE when you pick up the crystal a button pops up that requires you to confirm you want to trigger the end-level sequence.)

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment