Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

What is this? - General Review after a few hours

Copied to clipboard!
2 years ago
Jul 5, 2022, 6:14:58 PM

I was really interested in this game as I am a fan of Amplitude games. The first information I got about this game and the first screenshots and short videos I saw, suggested that the game was more an action dungeon crawler with rogue-like elements rather than the tactic puzzle we can find in Dungeon of the Endless. I supposed that's why the game was called Endless Dungeon and not Dungeon of the Endless 2.

After a few hours of play I feel disappointed because I don't really know what this game is, it is not what I expected. It is more like a Dungeon of the Endless 2, but removing the best mechanics from it and changing them by a pointless time mechanic. In an effort to get an action game rather than a tactic turn-based game Amplitude has added some elements trying to mix them with the previous tactic/turn-based/puzzle elements but, it doesn't work, or at least it doesn't work for me.

I would have accepted a total rework directed to action, loot, interesting enemies, skill combos.... I would have also accepted a Dungeon of the Endless 2 with updated graphics and a few new mechanics not affecting the core gameplay (although it should have been named Dungeon of the Endless 2 imho), but everytime I want to go back to this game I remember the void feelings I had the last time I played and finally pass. I have even thought of installing again Dungeon of the Endless to enjoy it again.

If this game had been released before Dungeon of the Endless probably would have been a fresh title with an interesting mix of mechanics, but Dungeon of the Endless already did this and set the bar too high. This seems a little bit uninspired, cant scratch the tactic itch and is very far from being a good action dungeon crawler.

Other review over here have made good points about this feelings, the mix of turn based resource generation (opening doors has some resemblance to the turns we had in DotE) and timely based spawn at already known locations feels like a failed experiment.

I really would like to enjoy this game but in this state I think I can't.

If the game stays in this direction I think it is not interesting for me. If the game flows in the direction of Dungeon of the Endless maybe it could be interesting. If the game sticks to the action scheme and removes the tower defense to focus in exploring and get interesting and varied loot definitely will be a nice approach.

I really hope the game gets better, the graphics are indeed very good.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 6, 2022, 12:47:48 AM

I've said this elsewhere so I don't want to harp on it too much, but I totally agree that the waves being time-based places this game in an awkward middle between DotE and an action shooter, and it doesn't really work. It's just frustrating getting waves incoming while you're running around this big space trying to set up. It wouldn't be a problem if you didn't have so many things to manage.

I think it could work if they fully committed to either direction (turn-based door opening like DotE, or drop a lot of the slower mechanics to fully focus on action). (Left 4 Dead is an example of a game that doesn't let you rest - if you wait around then more waves will come, but it works because L4D doesn't require you to run all around the level in between waves.)

But IMO if they commit to the full action route, I just won't really be interested. There's thousands of generic loot shooter games out there. There's only one DotE, and this would be an awesome opportunity to make another, but with better graphics and more hands-on action.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 6, 2022, 2:36:15 AM

Left 4 Dead...  That's it!  That's what this wave mechanic reminds me of.  (Coincidentally, I'm not a L4D fan specifically because of the overbearing gameplay loop.  It might as well just have neon signs everywhere showing the flowchart of its spawn sequence.)  All this time it's been bugging be because ED's spawns reminded me of something, but I couldn't put my finger on it.  Thanks for jogging my memory.

Updated 2 years ago.
0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 6, 2022, 3:30:14 AM

Heh yeah, I mentioned in another thread "all games have downtime in between combat bouts" and later thought about L4D that doesn't really let you have a break until the safehouse between levels.

But even L4D has a safehouse! So one suggestion (possibly already implemented, but not communicated) is that the first room of each level before you open a door should not be able to spawn waves, and the wave timer shouldn't start ticking until you open the first door. At least then I'd have some breathing room to make a few key decisions like crystal upgrades before starting the relentless timer.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 6, 2022, 3:34:43 AM

That is at least to some extent already the case. It's not possible to get a wave until you discover a spawner. Although if you AFK'd in the starting room for an hour while then started opening doors it might punish you as though you had been surviving on the level for an hour, that I don't know.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment