Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

The Few - faction of scarce but exceptionnal philosophers and geneticists

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Aug 12, 2016, 5:38:23 PM

In fact, the population affinity of the Pauci is a consequence of their role as counselors and philosophers who try to make everyone around them more appeased and to create ideal societies without forcing people to obey them. Their seclusion is more linked to the fact that their lifestyle and organisms make them quite difficult to live with. In short : they are precious neighbor who lives their way but are eager to help others.

On a more gameplay-focused point of view, I though it would allow interesting mechanics to restric their population affinity bonus to the planet where they aren't present : it makes them less exploitable by other players through conquest and gives them this "tall but spread" playstyle that, I think, fits the most a diplomatic-centered faction.

Edit : I've modified their population affinity, so now they act as a nice counterpart to Cravers in their way to increase

I also wanted to add that their proficiency is a good explanation of why they benefit other factions.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 12, 2016, 5:19:53 PM

I like adding your inspriations and how you suppose the faction will play the game. I think a lot of ideas aren't focusing enough on that angle. I also REALLY like that you didn't actually give them a boost to diplomacy, but just encouraged them to be diplomats through other means. Organically making them prefer to be peaceful diplomats is a lot cooler than "bonus to peace and diplomacy". (It's actually funny, our ideas both include influcing other peoples elections, slow-growing population, and colony ships that don't take population from their home system, but they're still both radically different!)

One small comment I would add is that "secluded paragaon" doesn't really make me understand, from a flavor perspective, what's happening.  I mean, if my neighbor is a really smart guy, but doesn't leave his house much, I don't randomly start finding dollar bills in my pocket, you know? I bet you could find a better way to make it clear how the Pauci are benefitting their system-mates.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 12, 2016, 5:08:26 PM

The inspirations :

- Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley, for the use of genetics to create semi-sentient servants (Epsilon in BNW).

- Solarians from Foundation and Earth by Isaac Asimov for the idea of a people with scarce but superior individuals. 

- Aldnoah Zero's Orbital knights for the Pauci's vessels.

- Horatio from Endless Legend, because I love this factions and its use of cloning.

- Protheans from the Mass Effect franchise for the use of genetics to transfer memory and other information.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
Comment