Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Narrative Design Phase - Rules & Advice

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Oct 6, 2016, 7:48:16 AM
sarin555 wrote:

2 : Does Unfallen shared conscious like the hivemind or like the Geth from ME where all are seperate individual just able to gather and shared their knowledge?

I'm pretty sure it's up to you as a writer to clarify. In my submission I presented the Unfallen as species that originally didn't know the concept of "I" but was somewhere between a hive-mind, and the Zerg swarm (in terms of perspective and level of individuality). (Edit: the big difference being in the fact that my Unfallen have no unified central force that shapes their will and instead poll their thoughts together to decide what to do).

I've seen other submission take completely different approach though and I don't think there are any which share the exact same idea for the Unfallen conciousness. Which imo is a good thing, we need diversity in a competition like this

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 6, 2016, 3:53:01 AM

I still have some questions.

1 : The rule said 1000 words, why it's reduce to 500 now?

2 : Does Unfallen shared conscious like the hivemind or like the Geth from ME where all are seperate individual just able to gather and shared their knowledge?

3 : Are the Endless legitnamit race to make an appearance like the Virtual? Since they are not playable?

4 : Do you  want me to give you the character (hero) with the world (Unfallen culture) as a background or give you the world with character as conduit?

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 5, 2016, 10:35:46 PM
PANCZASU wrote:

Sorry for going off-topic but... passports cost money in your country?

Approximately 70 of ye majesty's royal pounds and it lasts 10 years.

Although I've been looking for a reason to do this because it serves as an extremely useful as a form of identification here for... a lot of official things. If anything its absolutely fantastic its free where you are but im not... jealous or anything...

In any case, I cannot wait to read through all the submissions during this phase; I'll try to keep up with the feed if its manageable. Ill especially enjoy it since I've been helping some friends proof read and write sections of as you would say, a sci-fi "Homebrew", take that as you will but its been quite an enjoyable off and on project for a better part of the year.

Edit: I am a little stumped for words right now, I might have to read through each submission a few times before I can give a well thought out opinion for each.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 5, 2016, 10:11:33 PM
Digitalhawk96 wrote:

Good luck to all ye avid writers; this should be a most curious phase.

Reading through the official rules also reminds me... I need to get a passport sorted pronto.  Which is fortunate because I just got paid and will be able to do so.

Sorry for going off-topic but... passports cost money in your country?

Now to make this post on-topic... um...

Ok, I actually have one qestion:

Excessive bumping in any form will result in the team taking action with extreme prejudice, up to exclusion from the contest.

If excessive bumping is not allowed then is bumping allowed at all? For example: I have already posted a submission but I might decide to edit it in the future (let's say in a few days for the sake of the argument). If I do decide to edit it, will I be able to bump it once to let people know about the change, even if nobody has commented on my submission?

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 5, 2016, 8:59:55 PM

Good luck to all ye avid writers; this should be a most curious phase.

Reading through the official rules also reminds me... I need to get a passport sorted pronto.  Which is fortunate because I just got paid and will be able to do so.

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 5, 2016, 7:09:53 PM
Hylus wrote:

We are still not allowed to include relations or meetings with other factions in this story, correct? I know we couldn't in the initial creation process, but I'm wondering if I could, say, use a Vodyani invasion as a catalyst for the story. 

If referring to other factions, you can make references, but only in a faction-agnostic way: Major factions start with a small Minor faction element, which could be factored in.

Same goes for narrating from the point of view of another faction's character. You came up with hilarious prompts, but it would be both odd and unfair to permit "name-dropping" in these circumstances and not others.

Hope this helps!

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 6, 2016, 12:04:35 PM
PANCZASU wrote:
Excessive bumping in any form will result in the team taking action with extreme prejudice, up to exclusion from the contest.

If excessive bumping is not allowed then is bumping allowed at all? For example: I have already posted a submission but I might decide to edit it in the future (let's say in a few days for the sake of the argument). If I do decide to edit it, will I be able to bump it once to let people know about the change, even if nobody has commented on my submission?

This is allowed. What constitutes excessive bumping is, of course, in the eye of the beerholder. That beerholder is me. I'll be holding the beers and watching. So don't do anything I'd find excessive and you'll be fine. :D

sarin555 wrote:

I still have some questions.

1 : The rule said 1000 words, why it's reduce to 500 now?

3 : Are the Endless legitnamit race to make an appearance like the Virtual? Since they are not playable?

4 : Do you  want me to give you the character (hero) with the world (Unfallen culture) as a background or give you the world with character as conduit?

The rules have always mentioned 500 words as far as I remember. Initial announcement two months ago did mention 500.

I haven't read anything suggesting they are more of a hivemind than sharing a Geth-like commonality of thought, so that's up to you.

Sure, feel free to drop one or the other faction of the Endless in there. Just know that we might end up tweaking it to fit our vision of the Endless as a people (they have a bit more of a central part in the plot of many factions, which we'll have to accomodate for). 

That's up to you, it's the community you'll have to amaze, not me. ;)

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 5, 2016, 5:37:36 PM
Sovereign wrote:
Mithrill wrote:

Only one question: can I write from perspective of the other faction? For example a scientific report about discovering of the Unfallen.

Though the sophon scientict could have written an report OVER an Unfallen Hero. As a doctor dissertation for exmaple.
Or he could have written a report like the guy who got his self a crocodile costume and lived with the corocdiles for some months.

Some branches,some leaves...

Day 47: "Silly Trees still think I am a tree"

Haha, I can just picture some teenage Sophon who's trying to use this absurdly wacky idea as part of his university application. 

Day 52: "Other trees expressing concern over my refusal to grow. Think they're on to me. Pls send help." 

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 5, 2016, 5:20:39 PM
Mithrill wrote:

Only one question: can I write from perspective of the other faction? For example a scientific report about discovering of the Unfallen.

Though the sophon scientist could have written an report OVER an Unfallen Hero. As a doctor dissertation for example.
Or he could have written a report like the guy who got his self a crocodile costume and lived with the crocodiles for some months.

Some branches,some leaves...

Day 47: "Silly Unfallen still think I am a tree"

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 5, 2016, 5:14:30 PM
Mithrill wrote:

While not explicitly stated, I believe the hero has to be an Unfallen. So if you are planning on writing it from the perspective of another faction, be careful you don't make the hero of a different faction too.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 5, 2016, 5:03:00 PM
Hylus wrote:

We are still not allowed to include relations or meetings with other factions in this story, correct? I know we couldn't in the initial creation process, but I'm wondering if I could, say, use a Vodyani invasion as a catalyst for the story. 

Good question otherwise a lot of potentialy good storys would be off the table.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 5, 2016, 4:51:52 PM

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 5, 2016, 4:44:49 PM

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 6, 2016, 7:14:12 PM
sarin555 wrote:

Heck yeah! Now to not count spaces...that will be tedious.

Most text editors count everything for you. Just paste your story into a document and check its properties

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 7, 2016, 9:02:48 PM
radlawnmower wrote:
werewolf_nr wrote:

[...]

If this is your submission, you'll need to create a new proposition. Otherwise, please disregard my comment.

Whoops. Thanks for the reminder.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 7, 2016, 8:59:17 PM
werewolf_nr wrote:

On the banks of a river delta on a jungle world, a group has gathered. The group would be peculiar to many of the species of the galaxy, for these were only identified as the same species by their quintuple eyes. The other unusual fact would be the fact that these creatures are dozens of meters tall.

“We cannot allow them to undermine the consensus!” The speaker is a knobby, tree-like being, covered in a flowing cape of leaves. The leaves contain various stones, gems, and bits of metal; including something that looks suspiciously like a fragment of alien armor. “To Withdraw is the highest crime of crimes!” The Speaker of the Grove of Offensive Defense continued bellowing at the other speakers.

“Their transgressions are not so severe that they cannot be brought back into the fold, Annoris.” This Speaker is larger, in a peculiar way. Her root-legs are many and a wide canopy of manipulator-branches spread above her. She speaks for the Grove of Growth.

“I agree with Decumaria, Annoris. It will take years as it is to regrow those who have left. Hellobora’s followers will return to the Consensus eventually. It is not worth their deaths and the losses of your Grove in addition to theirs.” Alatum, Speaker of the Grove of Eternal Growth and current Majority Speaker spoke softly to the assembled Speakers.

Not bothered by the opposition in the slightest, Annoris chose a new tactic, “The Groves of Improving Creation and Everlasting Knowledge are in agreement with mine.”

“Be that as it may Speaker, the Majority has spoken. Until and unless the Withdrawn show aggression, they shall be left on to their own devices,” the Majority speaker continues in her even tone.

“Very well, Speaker. We shall remain watchful, but will do nothing to them.” With a rustle of leaves on bark Annoris bows and leaves.

In the safety of his own mind, Alatum ponders how much longer the Majority will stand. Perhaps the Withdrawn will be the catalyst for a great change.

If this is your submission, you'll need to create a new proposition. Otherwise, please disregard my comment.

0Send private message
Comment