Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[SOLVED] Game Forever loading on Startup

Copied to clipboard!
7 years ago
Jun 14, 2017, 7:58:24 PM

Hi to all,

It seems the latest update didn't solve the problem I experience. I'll try installing the game to another computer and see if it works then.

0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 21, 2017, 9:14:42 PM
satoru wrote:

Are you 100% sure

1) your OS is totally and fully up to date and patched? Please check that it is and that it's actulaly installing the patches. I've seen corrupted installs where the patches 'say' they are running but never actually get installed

2) Have you run BOTH vcredist x86 and x64 under steamapps\common\Endless Space 2\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2010

Repair both, and reboot

Well, Windows Update tells me my system is up-to-date, but I have no way to verify if that is not true; could you point how to reliably check this information out ? Thanks in advance.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 21, 2017, 5:03:26 PM

Are you 100% sure

1) your OS is totally and fully up to date and patched? Please check that it is and that it's actulaly installing the patches. I've seen corrupted installs where the patches 'say' they are running but never actually get installed

2) Have you run BOTH vcredist x86 and x64 under steamapps\common\Endless Space 2\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2010

Repair both, and reboot

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 21, 2017, 12:29:08 PM
satoru wrote:

Add the --diagnostics launch paramemter to the game

Then can you re-upload your output_log.txt and diagnostics.html file

Just did this, here are the files :

output_log.zip

Diagnostics - 2017'06'21 @1409'04''.zip

Frogsquadron wrote:
Can you try to run in GPU emulation  mode? Right click on Endless Space 2 in your library, select properties.  In the General tab, click on Set Launch Options, and input "dx10". This  will run the advanced rendering stuff on your CPU, which could actually  give you better performance .

This might apply because of your 950M video card, which means there's a strong chance some Intel HD chipset is involved somewhere. It's worth a shot anyway.

Just tried this, the loading was a little faster but still froze when it was 100% completed. Here are the files:

output_log.txt

Diagnostics - 2017'06'21 @1417'09''.zip

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 21, 2017, 11:03:40 AM
Can you try to run in GPU emulation  mode? Right click on Endless Space 2 in your library, select properties.  In the General tab, click on Set Launch Options, and input "dx10". This  will run the advanced rendering stuff on your CPU, which could actually  give you better performance .

This might apply because of your 950M video card, which means there's a strong chance some Intel HD chipset is involved somewhere. It's worth a shot anyway.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 21, 2017, 2:37:16 AM

Add the --diagnostics launch paramemter to the game

Then can you re-upload your output_log.txt and diagnostics.html file

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 20, 2017, 7:48:20 PM

Okay, so I updated windows (I'm rather sure the latest version has been installed, is windows 10.0, version 15063 the right one ?). Then I uninstalled/reinstalled the vcredist, and then restarted my computer, but the situation still didn't improve.

Do you have any other ideas ? I still hope there's a way for my computer to run this game.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 15, 2017, 1:44:01 AM
HadvarRastapop wrote:

Hi to all,

It seems the latest update didn't solve the problem I experience. I'll try installing the game to another computer and see if it works then.

I think the issues are two fold

1) Run a full windows update on your system. Please actually confirm the last time a windows update actually ran and updated. I've seen some installs people 'think' windows update is runnign but its actually failing

2) once your system is fully installed you need to reinstall vcredist. The freetypedll error is due to vcredist nto being installed properly

0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
May 25, 2017, 7:47:45 PM

Well, none of it worked so far, despite all of my efforts, the end of the loading screen seems to be an impenetrable wall for my computer.

All I can do is to hope someone finds a fix or an update solves the problem (1.0.5 didn't, sadly).

0Send private message
7 years ago
May 25, 2017, 2:47:29 PM

Update: I used Revo Uninstaller to uninstall and remove any registry entries and stray files.  Then I manually scoured the app data folders and removed anything to do with ES2.  Reboot, reinstall, and voila, it works now!

0Send private message
7 years ago
May 25, 2017, 12:22:49 AM

I am having the same problem.  I keep thinking new updates will fix it.  I've tried all the suggested solutions to no avail. I know the initial release worked fine, and if I downgrade to Horatio I can at least get to the main menu (although the game crashes when I try to start a game).  Any help will be appreciated, and apologies if I've simply missed the solution somewhere in here.

output_log.txt

Edit to include diagnostic file: Diagnostics - 2017'05'24 @2018'22''.html

DxDiag.txt

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
May 23, 2017, 5:30:01 PM
HadvarRastapop wrote:

I have tried deleting the freetype file in the game's folder and then reinstalling it, but this didn't solve the issue ; nothing changed at all.

I cannot reinstall the microsoft redistributable from the link you put here since I apparently have a more recent version.

Can you try running steam as an admin

Also you should be able to repair the vcredist. Then reboot your computer.

0Send private message
7 years ago
May 23, 2017, 11:27:46 AM

I have tried deleting the freetype file in the game's folder and then reinstalling it, but this didn't solve the issue ; nothing changed at all.

I cannot reinstall the microsoft redistributable from the link you put here since I apparently have a more recent version.

0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
May 22, 2017, 6:14:08 PM
AmpliMath wrote:

Hi again,

We are not forgetting you. Noone is left behind :)

So the diagnostics file does not bring much more info. 

It still seems you are faileing to load the Freetype6.dll. You have a french Windows, but you do not use any special character in your steam installation it seems. Can you confirm your full Steam install path? Go to a Windows Explorer and copy the full path  to the location of Endless Space 2.

Meanwhile, one of our graphic engineers will look for other questions to ask.

Cheers,

Mathieu

Well thanks for the support ! :)

Here is the game's location on my computer : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Endless Space 2

I don't think there is any special characters in any of those folders, but I might have missed one.

0Send private message
7 years ago
May 22, 2017, 4:02:02 PM

Hi again,

We are not forgetting you. Noone is left behind :)

So the diagnostics file does not bring much more info. 

It still seems you are faileing to load the Freetype6.dll. You have a french Windows, but you do not use any special character in your steam installation it seems. Can you confirm your full Steam install path? Go to a Windows Explorer and copy the full path  to the location of Endless Space 2.

Meanwhile, one of our graphic engineers will look for other questions to ask.

Cheers,

Mathieu

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 25, 2017, 1:23:39 AM

The yellow ? marks arent actually that important as Dependency walker has some issues with those for "reasons" so don't worry about those.

The mian issue is the errors in things like NTDLL.DLL or MSVCR100.DLL

This is how your output should look if you're correctly running the 64-bit version of Dependency Walker. 

Note the Freetype6.dll/msvcr100.dll are x64 architecture which is correct. I'm interested in seeing what your output looks like using th 64-bit version of dependency walker

The 64-bit DW executable is here if you have issues finding it

http://www.dependencywalker.com/depends22_x64.zip

0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 25, 2017, 11:52:12 PM

Thanks for being so patient with such a very very werid issue

Not sure what would have caused this particular issue on your end. I'm guessing maybe some program manually installed a 32 bit version of the DLL? Its definitely weird since an uninstall 'in theoyr' should have fixed it. Then again with Microsoft based stuff who knows :p

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 25, 2017, 8:24:17 PM
satoru wrote:

after doing some googling try this

1) go to c:\windows\system32

2) rename msvcr100.dll to something else

3) rerun the 64 bit vcredist installwr

4) reboot

apparently Evolve was having similar issues (ok after googling more its not the Evovle game but another steam-ish platform called Evovle)

Aaaaand this fixed the game!

Thanks a lot, satoru and everyone who was patient enough to deal with my unchanging "nope, didn't work either" messages, now I'll finally be able to conquer the stars!

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 25, 2017, 5:13:48 PM

Satoru, I love you lol. The game seems to works.

Thank you for this game and the fixing.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 25, 2017, 2:32:42 PM

after doing some googling try this

1) go to c:\windows\system32

2) rename msvcr100.dll to something else

3) rerun the 64 bit vcredist installwr

4) reboot

apparently Evolve was having similar issues (ok after googling more its not the Evovle game but another steam-ish platform called Evovle)

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 25, 2017, 2:05:56 PM
satoru wrote:

it looks like you dont have the 64 bit version of vcredist installed. did you install the x64 version of vcredist?

Well, that's weird, I'm sure I installed it from the _CommonRedist folder in the game files.

I reran the installation program just now, nothing changed.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 25, 2017, 1:07:44 PM

it looks like you dont have the 64 bit version of vcredist installed. did you install the x64 version of vcredist?

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 25, 2017, 10:53:46 AM
satoru wrote:

The yellow ? marks arent actually that important as Dependency walker has some issues with those for "reasons" so don't worry about those.

The mian issue is the errors in things like NTDLL.DLL or MSVCR100.DLL

This is how your output should look if you're correctly running the 64-bit version of Dependency Walker. 

Note the Freetype6.dll/msvcr100.dll are x64 architecture which is correct. I'm interested in seeing what your output looks like using th 64-bit version of dependency walker

The 64-bit DW executable is here if you have issues finding it

http://www.dependencywalker.com/depends22_x64.zip

Thanks for the link! So I used the version you sent here, and here's what I got:

It seems the problem has something to do with MSVCR100.DLL, but I don't really know more. Can you tell what's wrong?

0Send private message
7 years ago
May 21, 2017, 2:31:52 PM
AmpliMath wrote:

Hi again,

I have tested to load your diagnostics file, twice, and it is simply too big to run properly in my web browser. I need to open it in the web browser to have the proper text formatting stuff. I suspect you let the game run a long time while it was hanging.

Can you make a shorter try, to have a small Diagnostics file?

Thanks

I left it open only for a few seconds after the loading completed this time, I could open the diagnostics file in my web browser, so this shouldn't be a problem now ; here's the file :

Diagnostics - 2017'05'21 @1622'04''.zip

Thanks for taking care of this issue.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 24, 2017, 10:58:29 AM
satoru wrote:

Make sure you run the 64-bit version of Dependency walker. It looks like you ran the 32-bit version which is why some of those errros show up

I get the same error with any version of the program, apparently.
I tried both the first and second links on the website, and even looked for a version explicitly labeled as 64-bits, with the same results.

0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 23, 2017, 11:34:34 PM

Make sure you run the 64-bit version of Dependency walker. It looks like you ran the 32-bit version which is why some of those errros show up

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 23, 2017, 10:22:05 PM

Alright, I just used this program and I get an error message when opening freetype6.dll :

How do I adress this issue ? Thanks for the help.

Edit : If I scroll down in the middle pannel, I can see a bunch of missing files errors, as well as this :

I'm not too sure about what it precisely means, but it might have something to do with the problem

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 23, 2017, 1:17:33 PM

HadvarRastapop, Nuzer,

Lets try to dig into your vcredist install. Can you try to use this software, and open the freetype6 dll (in the install folder of ES2): 

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

It should display something like this:

Now you need to make sure that Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) is properly installed. The best way to make sure of that is to open the settings in Windows, look at the list of installed programs, and uninstall anything which starts with "Microsoft C++".

Then proceed here to reinstall the 2010 SP1 redist: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13523

Once this is done, try to launch the game again.

Cheers

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 23, 2017, 7:38:13 AM

Nuzer,

Reaing the logs, it seems you cannot load the Freetype6 dll. This is caused by a dependency to vcredist, which is incorrectly installed. I see you have already reinstalled it. Do you know which version it was?

We have never reproduced this (which could not be fixed by a proper vcredist install) so it is hard for us to determine what is going on.

Cheers,

0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 22, 2017, 10:27:35 AM

Quesocito, logerd, 

I have checked your output_log files, this is a different issue. Please report to this thread:

https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/forums/73-tech-support/threads/27089-startup-crashes-after-downloading-patch?page=1

Thanks

0Send private message
7 years ago
Apr 11, 2017, 2:07:25 PM

Well, I just tried it, and there still doesn't seem to be any improvements. I double-click the game's shortcut, get to the loading screen, the bar fills, the background music starts... and then nothing happens until I alt+f4 away. I have no idea what to do at this point .

0Send private message
7 years ago
Apr 17, 2017, 8:44:59 AM
satoru wrote:
HadvarRastapop wrote:

Well, I tried it before, but I redid it just in case ; sadly, no results. My computer seems to be working fine for other games, so I don't know if the problem is in the game files or in my computer .

I'd do a clean uninstall/reinstall of the latest Nvidia drivers. Then re-do the steps outline in forcing the game to use your Nvidia card and see if that helps

I did just that, the game's still stuck on the loading screen.
Now I have no idea what to do, I'll just wait for someone to drop by with another tip.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Apr 15, 2017, 1:38:06 AM
HadvarRastapop wrote:

Well, I tried it before, but I redid it just in case ; sadly, no results. My computer seems to be working fine for other games, so I don't know if the problem is in the game files or in my computer .

I'd do a clean uninstall/reinstall of the latest Nvidia drivers. Then re-do the steps outline in forcing the game to use your Nvidia card and see if that helps

0Send private message
7 years ago
Apr 15, 2017, 1:36:23 AM
volllly wrote:

Here is mine if it helps: DxDiag.txt

clean boot also did not help 

I've seen reports that the latest AMD drivers seem to cause issues. The 17.2 drivers seem to be the most stable can you try to roll back to that version

0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
Apr 12, 2017, 3:11:03 PM

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
7 years ago
Apr 11, 2017, 4:11:11 PM

Could we get a full DXDiag so as to see the drivers, etc., installed on your machine?

0Send private message
7 years ago
Apr 17, 2017, 4:29:25 PM
HadvarRastapop wrote:
satoru wrote:
HadvarRastapop wrote:

I did just that, the game's still stuck on the loading screen.
Now I have no idea what to do, I'll just wait for someone to drop by with another tip.

Reverify your game cache and then run steam as an admin

0Send private message
7 years ago
Apr 11, 2017, 12:19:25 PM
Frogsquadron wrote:

Both of you seem to have an issue with Mono from your output log.

I'd start with a reinstall of the DotNet redistributable: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Endless Space 2\_CommonRedist\DotNet

I tried that, the problem's still here, though I noticed something during the reinstallation : I get a ".NET framework 4.5 and this update are already installed on your computer" sort of message.

I checked, and it seems like windows 10 has the 4.7 version pre-installed, and you can't install an older version if a more recent one is installed on your computer.

Could this be the origin of the problem ?

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Apr 11, 2017, 9:55:12 AM

Both of you seem to have an issue with Mono from your output log.

I'd start with a reinstall of the DotNet redistributable: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Endless Space 2\_CommonRedist\DotNet

0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
Apr 9, 2017, 12:06:36 PM

Thanks for the advice !

Sadly, it didn't work out for me, I followed the same steps as you without any results (checking game cache (no files missing), run as an administrator, run in win7 compatibility, reinstall game and deactivating steam overlay).

I'll just wait and see, I guess.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Apr 9, 2017, 1:44:13 AM

Hey! I don't know if what I did fixed it, or if the game just magically righted itself, but it's working now! Here's what I did:

Verified the game files (one file missing, installed it, still didn't work)

Turned on "Run as Administrator" (still didn't work).

Turned on Windows 7 Compatibility (still didn't work).

Did a fresh reinstall (still didn't work)

Turned off the steam overlay. Worked like a charm.

So um, I recommend giving that a shot. For me, the bar would always fill, the music would play, and the mouse would appear, but no menu. I realized this was the point when the usual popup for the steam overlay would appear. Maybe the devs can look into this?

Anyways, here's hoping it works for you.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Apr 1, 2017, 5:19:54 PM

Same problem here, actually. I'll add system specs for mine if requested. Kind of ridiculous at this point. First version worked fine, Update 2 made it so I couldn't start a game from the menu, and Update 3 has removed the ability to even see the menu. Starting to think the full game is going to only let me see the opening logos. XD

0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
May 21, 2017, 1:54:52 PM

Hi again,

I have tested to load your diagnostics file, twice, and it is simply too big to run properly in my web browser. I need to open it in the web browser to have the proper text formatting stuff. I suspect you let the game run a long time while it was hanging.

Can you make a shorter try, to have a small Diagnostics file?

Thanks

0Send private message
7 years ago
May 21, 2017, 1:24:21 PM
AmpliMath wrote:
HadvarRastapop wrote:

I have tried verifying the game files integrity, have tried reinstalling the game, and set the Quality Level of the registry.xml file to <Good>, but nothing solved the problem. I couldn't download the safe registry file on this other topic, but I don't think much would have changed anyway (since the problem  appeared with the full release, and my issue was already here during  early access).

I have found a freetype6.dll file in the  Steam\steamapps\common\Endless Space 2\EndlessSpace2_Data\Plugins  folder, maybe the game can't read the file for some reason ? All of the  game files have "read only" deactivated, so this probably isn't the  problem.

Hey HadvarRastapop,

I will also need your Diagnostics file from the Documents/Endless Space 2/Temporary folder. 

Thanks

Here is the most recent diagnostic file :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7d3gpfgkz5gxk1r/Diagnostics%20-%202017%2705%2721%20%401413%2725%27%27.html?dl=0 (I had to upload it on dropbox since the file is just too large to be uploaded, even as a .zip)

Let me know if there's anything else you need.

0Send private message
7 years ago
May 21, 2017, 9:18:09 AM
HadvarRastapop wrote:

I have tried verifying the game files integrity, have tried reinstalling the game, and set the Quality Level of the registry.xml file to <Good>, but nothing solved the problem. I couldn't download the safe registry file on this other topic, but I don't think much would have changed anyway (since the problem appeared with the full release, and my issue was already here during early access).

I have found a freetype6.dll file in the Steam\steamapps\common\Endless Space 2\EndlessSpace2_Data\Plugins folder, maybe the game can't read the file for some reason ? All of the game files have "read only" deactivated, so this probably isn't the problem.

Hey HadvarRastapop,

I will also need your Diagnostics file from the Documents/Endless Space 2/Temporary folder. 

Thanks

0Send private message
7 years ago
May 20, 2017, 9:05:19 PM

I noticed you have a Mobility chipset. Are you forcing the Nvidia card via the Nvidia Control Panel?

If so you should reset that and create it new just to be sure

0Send private message
7 years ago
May 20, 2017, 8:43:17 PM

I have tried verifying the game files integrity, have tried reinstalling the game, and set the Quality Level of the registry.xml file to <Good>, but nothing solved the problem. I couldn't download the safe registry file on this other topic, but I don't think much would have changed anyway (since the problem appeared with the full release, and my issue was already here during early access).

I have found a freetype6.dll file in the Steam\steamapps\common\Endless Space 2\EndlessSpace2_Data\Plugins folder, maybe the game can't read the file for some reason ? All of the game files have "read only" deactivated, so this probably isn't the problem.

0Send private message
7 years ago
May 20, 2017, 8:42:32 PM

0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
May 19, 2017, 9:06:44 PM
HadvarRastapop wrote:

Since the game is now officially out, I decided to try and get it to work again, but once again, the same problem comes up : everything works normally until the loading bar reaches 100%, and then the music starts, but nothing else happens at all. Here's a screenshot from the point where the game freezes for me :

I did delete my registry.xml file too.

Here are some extra files, in case something important changed :

DxDiag.txt

output_log.zip (.txt file was too large to be directly uploaded)

Hi there,

From what we see in your output log, the Freetype DLL (part of the game installation) was not found on your system. Maybe the copy went wrong when the game was installed. Please try to check your game files integrity or reinstall the game.

Cheers,

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 31, 2017, 8:26:25 PM

Hi everyone

I have the following problem when starting the game : the game launches normally and everything goes perfectly fine, until I reach the loading screen.

No problem occurs during the loading, however when it completes... well, nothing happens for a long time (over 10 minutes).

The menu's music can be heard, and I can move the cursor around, but that's about it ; the game is stuck at the end of its first loading screen.

I have updated the drivers for my graphic card and I am running the program as an administrator, and I have tried all of the fixes on the "common issues" thread.

Here's the output file :

output_log.txt

My computer's specs : 

Processor
  Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200H CPU @ 2.80GHz 

RAM
  6.0 GB 

Video Card
  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M

Driver Version

Operating System
  Microsoft Windows 10 (build 14393), 64-bit

Thanks in advance for the help.

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
May 19, 2017, 5:10:48 PM

I already have the same problem, the loading bar charges and  the game crashes. Trying to verify cache but nothing. Ill try all this tips here, but i doubt it could work, still waiting for more answers. The strange part is that i just played 1 day before official release and was working good, i just downloaded this new patch and this happened. 

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
May 19, 2017, 4:47:43 PM

Since the game is now officially out, I decided to try and get it to work again, but once again, the same problem comes up : everything works normally until the loading bar reaches 100%, and then the music starts, but nothing else happens at all. Here's a screenshot from the point where the game freezes for me :

I did delete my registry.xml file too.

Here are some extra files, in case something important changed :

DxDiag.txt

output_log.zip (.txt file was too large to be directly uploaded)

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
May 14, 2017, 2:40:39 AM

I also seem to have the same problem as HadvarRastapop. The game freezes at the loading screen when the bar is complete. The main menu music plays and i can move the cursor but im stuck at the loading screen.

My system specs are:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz 

Nvidia GTX 950M (same graphics card as OP)

8GB Ram

DX 12.0

Also, all of my drivers are up to date and i have followed all of the general fixes (changed NVidia card to default, run on W7 compatibility, reinstalled DotNet redist, etc)

are there any solutions to this yet? OP? Im so keen to play it hurts haha

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
May 7, 2017, 2:38:47 PM

I am in the middle of a bunch of exams, so sorry if I can't answer frequently.

Sadly the problem still persists for me (I guess that since I have a NVIDIA Video Card while the patch helped with AMD Cards, I should have expected this).

I recently installed a new driver too (GeForce Game Ready ver. 382.05), but it didn't change anything either.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Apr 23, 2017, 8:42:52 AM

Sorry for the late answer.

I just did all of this (run steam and the game as an administrator, check the game file's integrity) but the problem persists, despite the recent update (I was hoping the problem would've been resolved thanks to it, but it doesn't seem to be the case).

0Send private message
Comment