Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Force Infinite Actions to the bottom of the queue

GUIGame optionsSystem Management

6 years ago
Apr 23, 2018, 12:36:16 AM

Quality-of-life change: force infinite actions to the bottom of the system queue. Queue an improvement, and it automatically jumps in front of any active infinite action. Reduces fiddliness.

For example: say I have Public 3D Printing running on star system Nerod. I want to build Pulvis Production on Nerod. Instead of queuing Pulvis Production, then manually moving it above Public 3D Printing, Pulvis Production 'jumps' to the spot just above Public 3D Printing.

However, infinite actions can still be moved above normal construction tasks - either by dragging it up in the queue or using alt-click.

Ideally, this change would be toggleable.

Updated 10 days ago.
0Send private message

Out of Vision

The OUT OF VISION status is given by the dev team to ideas that are not compatible with their vision of the game or technically not feasible.

The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

DEV The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

status updated 5 years ago

Since some players would like infinite projects to be forced down while others want to keep them at the top to manage construction times, I'm marking this as out of vision.

Comments

Copied to clipboard!
6 years ago
Jun 2, 2018, 2:31:35 AM

I would like to see this, but as a toggleable option.

0Send private message

Out of Vision

The OUT OF VISION status is given by the dev team to ideas that are not compatible with their vision of the game or technically not feasible.

The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

DEV The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

status updated 5 years ago

Since some players would like infinite projects to be forced down while others want to keep them at the top to manage construction times, I'm marking this as out of vision.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Jul 10, 2019, 6:32:16 PM

I think (at least for the next game, since it would probably mean alot of work to change it in this game) there should be an overhaul of the infinite options methods in general.

Alot of infinite options (such as chain gang) tend to get increasingly worse towards the late game as their cost of "1 turn" overvalues their effect completly (chain gang itself also has the issue of not being able to keep up with food production if you want to use it to remove pops later on aswell, although that's a seperate issue). Alot of other options such as propaganda options for dictatorships are features i don't even look at very often because stopping all my industry in the system is not worth it (whereas dust/science conversion can be worth it since it scales with industry). 

Similarly, the guardian removal cost appears to be very arbitrary aswell. Things that are much more impactful, such as terraforming or building wonders require industry from you to construct and thus are easy to do for an advanced system and hard to do for a primitive one. Whereas removing a guardian from a system with 40.000 industry costs you 4.000.000 industry, because even they can't get it done in less than 10 turns. It doesn't really make sense to me and if a guardian appears on one of your systems the removal option is more of a flavor text than ever a reasonable option.

Come to think of it, the sleeper action is in a way a repeatable action, except it's not in the build queue like the others. I think if other repeatables could be introduced similarly, as an option to pick outside of the build queue (perhaps a seperate menu like the space port) then they could be more attractive. If, rather than choosing what your system does for the duration of a turn, they could be an option that selects additional effects for the system (by multiplying food or industry times 0 you could still get the classical repeatable conversions, whereas other options might no longer eat turns when they're outside of the build queue). 

0Send private message
5 years ago
Jul 9, 2019, 7:54:42 PM

I'm not sure why this was never the default. There's no reason not to do this.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Apr 2, 2019, 7:44:37 AM

To be fair you CAN push elements to the top of the queue as well as to the bottom, but it would indeed be very comfortable being able to send an already in production element to the end of the queue.

The problem with the first method (alt-clicking a construction to the queue) means that, if you wanted to construct, say, Cerebral Networks and THEN Sci-Fi Design Schools, you'd have to click them in inverse order, because Sci-Fi DS would be placed first on the list, and then Cerebral Networks would come on top of that; meaning that the only workaround to Infinite Constructions is a LIFO queue. Not very elegant.

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Mar 6, 2019, 6:40:59 PM

This would be great, but all you have to do currently if you don't want to use ALT click is cancel to the infinite action. Queue it up again after you've added what you wanted. This takes all of 2 clicks.  

Here's something that would be even better - a default build state for systems. You set what the system should infinitely queue in the system panel and it will default to that when nothing remains in the build queue. This would change the state so that any new items in the queue override the infinite state. You would thus never have to micromanage the infinite projects. This could also be used to infinitely queue up ships.

This would also be something you'd have to turn on once and then forget about, people that like the old way would have the option of not using it.

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 25, 2019, 2:05:35 AM

Yeah, this would be great, I keep forgetting I have an infinite action at the top of my queue and I wonder why the heck my ships aren't coming out.

0Send private message
0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 14, 2019, 2:47:23 AM

Though alt-click does provide a work-around, the point is that when you you have an infinite action going and then decide to bulid something in that system, you should not have to use alt-click because there would never be a reason to build something "after" and infinite action so it should just automatically move them down for you.

So definitely an upvote here.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 7, 2019, 3:01:31 PM

Totally a good simple and superb idea

0Send private message
6 years ago
Dec 21, 2018, 4:16:46 AM

This is already handled well by the alt-click feature and I'll use your example to explain.

As you suggest:

"For example: say I have Public 3D Printing running on star system Nerod. I want to build Pulvis Production on Nerod. Instead of queuing Pulvis Production, then manually moving it above Public 3D Printing, Pulvis Production 'jumps' to the spot just above Public 3D Printing."

How alt-click solves it:

"For example: say I have Public 3D Printing running on star system Nerod. I want to build Pulvis Production on Nerod. Instead of queuing Pulvis Production, then manually moving it above Public 3D Printing, hold Alt while clicking Pulvis Production in the build ship/improvement window and Pulvis Production 'jumps' to the top of the queue."

Give it a try, you'll see what I mean. Left click puts items from the build window to the bottom of the production queue, while Alt-Left click puts it at the top of the queue, so use it any time you want something to go directly to the top.

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Sep 20, 2018, 10:47:16 PM

What is somewhat amusing to me is that I suggested this very same thing six years ago in the previous iteration of the forums, along with other QoL improvements that could be made to the in-system UI.

I agree with digitalbin's idea though, rather than perma-forcing the various infinite blockers to the bottom all the time, new orders should always queue "above" the infinite blocker, but the blocker can be put anywhere in the queue.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Aug 16, 2018, 3:31:22 AM

How on earth hasn't this become a taken-for-granted standard in 4X and whatnot, I'll never understand... drives me nuts every time I encounter a game that doesnt do it.

0Send private message
0Send private message
6 years ago
Aug 7, 2018, 12:03:31 AM
Creepybeagle wrote:

Ah yes, as a vodyani player, changing all the essence production to ship production late game, with 50+ systems (I play largest map), is an absolute nightmare.

Not wanna be offensive, but you are doing it all wrong. First of all, you should NEVER use dust>essence conversion unless you need those additional 50-100 essence by the end of the turn to perfectly fill the limit for Ark next turn. You are missing the fact, that you actually paying your dust AND your FULL PRODUCTION for this essence since it occupies your queue, which is awfully inefficient as primary way of getting essence. Secondly, Vodyani actually benefit the most from current queue version, you can queue +pop or +manpower after infinite conversion and stockpile your essence over your hard limit this way. I use this all the time to save essence surplus so that it doesnt go over limit and doesnt get lost. Sometime I stall my next Ark this way for a few turns when I need a new tech to equip an Ark with new modules without retrofit. When you finally queue an Ark, you just remove those "stockpiles" of essence sitting in holy proliferation and manpower behind Public 3d Printing

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Jun 5, 2018, 12:19:45 PM

I would like to see this, but as a toggleable option.

I feel the same way, this would really make big and long game less micro intensive 

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
6 years ago
May 23, 2018, 3:04:05 AM
digitalbin wrote:

Completely against it in this form.

Example has already been given. You are building a ship, it's 80% finished, you are about to go bankrupt and need to produce dust. 

If inifinites were FORCED to go to the bottom it would REQUIRE you to cancel the ship. That's horrible.

Instead of FORCING I would just suggest that new build orders are added before the first infinite build option by default. Since nothing is forced rearranging would be able at all times and the more common use case of "i want to build a new building and not have to put my infinite in the back (and I don't know about the keyboard controls that already let me do it)" is also covered (and I completely agree: that should have been in the game from the start).

A good point - I forgot to make that explicit. 'Forced' is the simplest way of expressing the behavior, so I'll leave that as-is. But I've added a line with your language. Thanks for the heads-up!

0Send private message
6 years ago
May 22, 2018, 11:55:27 PM

Ah yes, as a vodyani player, changing all the essence production to ship production late game, with 50+ systems (I play largest map), is an absolute nightmare.

0Send private message
6 years ago
May 19, 2018, 6:20:16 PM

Completely against it in this form.

Example has already been given. You are building a ship, it's 80% finished, you are about to go bankrupt and need to produce dust. 

If inifinites were FORCED to go to the bottom it would REQUIRE you to cancel the ship. That's horrible.

Instead of FORCING I would just suggest that new build orders are added before the first infinite build option by default. Since nothing is forced rearranging would be able at all times and the more common use case of "i want to build a new building and not have to put my infinite in the back (and I don't know about the keyboard controls that already let me do it)" is also covered (and I completely agree: that should have been in the game from the start).

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment