Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Force Infinite Actions to the bottom of the queue

GUIGame optionsSystem Management

6 years ago
Apr 23, 2018, 12:36:16 AM

Quality-of-life change: force infinite actions to the bottom of the system queue. Queue an improvement, and it automatically jumps in front of any active infinite action. Reduces fiddliness.

For example: say I have Public 3D Printing running on star system Nerod. I want to build Pulvis Production on Nerod. Instead of queuing Pulvis Production, then manually moving it above Public 3D Printing, Pulvis Production 'jumps' to the spot just above Public 3D Printing.

However, infinite actions can still be moved above normal construction tasks - either by dragging it up in the queue or using alt-click.

Ideally, this change would be toggleable.

Updated 10 days ago.
0Send private message

Out of Vision

The OUT OF VISION status is given by the dev team to ideas that are not compatible with their vision of the game or technically not feasible.

The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

DEV The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

status updated 5 years ago

Since some players would like infinite projects to be forced down while others want to keep them at the top to manage construction times, I'm marking this as out of vision.

Comments

Copied to clipboard!
6 years ago
May 16, 2018, 3:34:33 AM

I wouldn't like it if it's totally forced.

This should be an optional setting.

I use these 'permas' often as 'blockers' in the queue. (Or like with the "oh i need troops before i can use my half finished ship" thing).

An optional warning that a 'perma' is blocking the queue could be a soultion, but fuzzy.

I think a good way to accomplish this is to use a second modifier. This idea would have some other features included:

Ctrl+Click forces the item to the bottom, the build queue will get an icon on top indicating this

Ctrl+Alt+Click lets you specify a turn number after which the item is either removed from the list or forced to bottom.

and/or Ctrl+LeftClick and Ctrl+RightClick will add(remove) turns on an 'perma' in queue

(key combos are examples, can be different)

Usage example: if the item is at - or moved to bottom - with the remove after turns X option,  the build queue will be empty again, so you can for example build troops until your tech is finished and then the desired systems can start building the upgraded ships as they show an empty queue

The other usage example is obvious: build troops for 3 turns, then build the ship (i micromanage this often to build a troop transporter in the closest system of action - with this way implemented the system has to be touched just once )

But this is much harder (relative) to implement as a "force bottom", but i would love it =)

Not to mention what can be done with all the other permas.

A logical progress of my approach would be to add this feature to 'non-permas', so all identical ships for example will use up only one line, or 'convert-foreign-people-to-troops' like "Chain Gang Program" can be built as long as desired or as possible without having to micomanage this each turn.

I would really love it =) 

(Edit: To make it clear: I 'love' my idea to modify OPs idea and am totally against a (unavoidable) force to bottom)

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
May 14, 2018, 1:58:25 PM

Fabulous! Simple and would be a nice nuanced addition to clean gameplay - one of those small attentions to detail that makes a well oiled gaming machine.

0Send private message
6 years ago
May 12, 2018, 9:31:26 PM

Simple compromise: add the feature to the options menu.  If you want the feature, turn it on.  If it becomes more of a bother than it's worth, based on your play habits, then turn it off.  Hard to go wrong when you can have it both ways, right?

0Send private message
6 years ago
May 4, 2018, 3:49:13 AM

I would welcome this idea - a nice QoL change. 

I have to ask though why are these actions infinite? If I could have my ideal it would be the ability to set the duration of the action to 1 to X turns, with the usual construction complete prompt when the action expires, or to infinite with the action always put to the bottom of the queue. Extra fiddliness if you want it, reduced fiddlyness if you don't.

0Send private message
6 years ago
May 3, 2018, 4:17:54 PM

I absolutely agree that they should go to the bottom.  Even if you want to ever put one at the immediate front of the queue to soak up some resources for a turn or two, you could just as easily alt-click it to get it up top, but most of the time I doubt people would ever use it as anything but something to do in a system where there's not much else going on.

0Send private message
6 years ago
May 3, 2018, 4:03:59 PM

You can actually do it even right now. Just hold ALT and click on the thing you want to build and it will jump infront of the queue.

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 30, 2018, 5:37:10 PM

Well... good point you touched there, Fogana. but the reason that people are placing infinite actions in the bottom of the queue is because they stop completely the process of building all other things, and most people (including me) whenever we place these buildings, it makes another problem you probabilly did not realized yet: 

Once you place a infinite action in the top of the queue, you will have to micromanage that system Again to ensure that system will produce the rest of these buildings, and most people prefer utilizing infinite actions after they barely got anything to do whit their system. Like, no more graviton research facilities to build... no utility for ships, or something like that... But if you want to place it on the top of the queue, it creates a huge trouble for everyone. 

It's not a problem, it's a solution. :)

0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 29, 2018, 8:39:26 PM

Problem: if im building a ship (there's 3 turns left) for ex. and i need dust for the next turn, I need to be able to put my unfinished ship under the ED printer this way i don't lose my investment. 

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 25, 2018, 8:44:02 PM

Another QOL change relevant to infinite options that I would like would be moving them or the razing options away from each other. One misclick and the system I have queued to run infinitiely after a while is suddenly lost. Granted, it's my fault for not looking, but it'd be a change I'd like to see nontheless.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment