Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Endless Encyclopedia

Narrative

7 years ago
Apr 1, 2017, 6:34:31 PM

Foreword

The Endless Universe is full of story and background knowledge. To me, that's one of the two most important reasons, why I'm playing Endless games - it's universe!

The Devs are doing a great job by creating all this amazing artwork and music. It simply feels so rewarding to me, to still discover knew things by playing different quest lines or recruit new heroes with their own story.

Sadly, my brain isn't capable to store all this information in detail. So why not creating an in game encyclopaedia of the endless universe?! Supported by all the amazing artwork.

My Vision in detail

At the beginning, the encyclopaedia contains only some basic information. "What is Dust? Who where (are) the endless?..." Maybe some basic game mechanics? (Tutorial) Further information has to be unlocked by playing and discover the game. For example, if someone discovers a unique planet, then an entry is added (unlocked) in the encyclopaedia.

Informations I would like to see:

The Endless Universe

• The Endless
  • What is dust (supposed to be)?

Major Factions

• United Empire
  • Story Background (Origin)
  • Characters (from completed quests, faction leaders)
  • Faction related places (from completed quests, home system)
  • Faction related heroes (if recruited once, skill tree preview, academy ship)
  • Faction related ships (if researched once, pls with preview of the module layoutsStick Out Tongue)
  • Horatio

Minor Factions

• "Similar to major factions - if information does exist"

Faction unrelated stuff

• Unique planets
  • Pirate ship classes
  • Anomalies
  • Special Resources (luxury/strategic)
  • Rare Tech (modules discovered only by probes)

What else comes to your mind?

I think players will stay motivated, as they try to unlock more entries and it encourages players to try different questchoices/research different ship types/ recruit different heroes - what will lead to a more diverse player experience.

Also, it could be combined with steam achievments!

Updated 4 days ago.
0Send private message

Out of Vision

The OUT OF VISION status is given by the dev team to ideas that are not compatible with their vision of the game or technically not feasible.

The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

DEV The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

status updated 5 years ago

As much as we agree that there should be an Encyclopedia accessible in the game, for technical reasons I have to mark this as Out of Vision.

Comments

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
6 years ago
Mar 11, 2019, 6:20:17 PM

I love the lore of the Endless universe, but it is so hard to find sometimes. A more unified archive of information found and more backstory would be amazing. Is this still in development?

0Send private message
6 years ago
Mar 13, 2019, 3:52:59 PM
the14th wrote:

I love the lore of the Endless universe, but it is so hard to find sometimes. A more unified archive of information found and more backstory would be amazing. Is this still in development?

We have not forgotten the encyclopedia, and because it keeps getting upvoted you wouldn't let us even if we wanted to! The problem is that it is a background project that I work on with StoryEngine and help from the Community team whenever we aren't too snowed under with other stuff--which is, of course, most of the time.

So it is a project, but in a skunkworks sort of way. However, it is both a labor of love and an important internal resource for the studio, so it WILL be completed. 

-Slow

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
5 years ago
Jul 5, 2019, 10:55:49 PM

Best damn idea ever. I really got into Mass Effect series based on the Codex entries. An in-game + online Endlessopedia is a must, complete with soothing music and awesome vibes artwork.

0Send private message

Out of Vision

The OUT OF VISION status is given by the dev team to ideas that are not compatible with their vision of the game or technically not feasible.

The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

DEV The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

status updated 5 years ago

As much as we agree that there should be an Encyclopedia accessible in the game, for technical reasons I have to mark this as Out of Vision.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Mar 25, 2020, 10:52:37 AM

Since you flagged this as Out of Vision~~

Isn't it at all possible to at least implement (through API or other means) a way to; for example, type "/wiki <keyword>" which would then open up the specific page (or closest results etc like wiki's usually do...or search engines in general..anyhow! Sidetrack!) --- in your default browser or maybe even a built-in browser if you'd feel so inclined!

Yeah; I think that would bequit eeasily implemented and while not being PART of the ACTUAL game (IN-game) it is close enough.

And with that implemented; more features and optimizing could be done to further tweak it/enhance/mod to work like some of these fine gentlemen suggested in the previous posts and OT. :) But like I previously stated in my; erm, probably first post in here - (another subforum/thread), I am new to the Endless Universe and so I havn't looked at modding and things like that at all yet.

However, it is one of my highest priorities right now to be honest - making mods for Endless Space 2 and Legend.

(Offtopic; Is it worth playing Endless Space 1 ---- is there story/campaign enough to feel like it actually is worth it so to speak?...even though I for not even a second doubt that it is; I would've liked to hear people's opinions on ES1 as I have never tried it yet. Went straight for ES2 after finishing Legend a few times.)

Note: Send me a PM as to not clutter this thread with that if you have any useful info/suggestions/etc for me!

0Send private message
4 years ago
Mar 25, 2020, 11:59:36 AM

This is a great idea and gives the game a bit more understanding and would be a great addition to the game itself imo. :)

0Send private message
4 years ago
Mar 25, 2020, 1:09:59 PM
Arotikah wrote:

Since you flagged this as Out of Vision~~

Isn't it at all possible to at least implement (through API or other means) a way to; for example, type "/wiki <keyword>" which would then open up the specific page (or closest results etc like wiki's usually do...or search engines in general..anyhow! Sidetrack!) --- in your default browser or maybe even a built-in browser if you'd feel so inclined!

Yeah; I think that would bequit eeasily implemented and while not being PART of the ACTUAL game (IN-game) it is close enough.

And with that implemented; more features and optimizing could be done to further tweak it/enhance/mod to work like some of these fine gentlemen suggested in the previous posts and OT. :) But like I previously stated in my; erm, probably first post in here - (another subforum/thread), I am new to the Endless Universe and so I havn't looked at modding and things like that at all yet.

However, it is one of my highest priorities right now to be honest - making mods for Endless Space 2 and Legend.

(Offtopic; Is it worth playing Endless Space 1 ---- is there story/campaign enough to feel like it actually is worth it so to speak?...even though I for not even a second doubt that it is; I would've liked to hear people's opinions on ES1 as I have never tried it yet. Went straight for ES2 after finishing Legend a few times.)

Note: Send me a PM as to not clutter this thread with that if you have any useful info/suggestions/etc for me!

EDIT:

I mean, considering this could be implemented just like achievments work. "Earn achievment <x>, unlocks <y>";
even if it would have to be externally viewed and not natively, beautifully in there to marvel at already. Is this option really out of reach?

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jan 30, 2018, 6:46:28 PM
Carbon wrote:

This is certainly an excellent idea, one of my favorite things in RPGs (and other genres) is the existence of that glossary where to see all the descriptions of creatures, locations, characters (I'm thinking right now about the complete glossary of The Witcher 3 or Pillars of Eternity) there have literally been times when I've spent more time enjoying reading the different entries than playing the game itself.
To be able to access something similar with all the lore of the major factions, ships, heroes, planets, minor factions... and see the awesome art of this game accompanying each entry, would be something fabulous. There's the Endless Space wiki, but if it's in the game is always much better and more enjoyable than need to go elsewhere to find that info.

Even though I like your idea, I think that due to the characteristics of this game (although a game can last for quite some time) it would be more interesting to be able to access this database from the main menu for example, maybe each entry would unlocked when you found it in your diferent games, but once unlocked  you wouldn't need to unlocked it again in different games.

ooooooh that'd be so cool, except that I was really awful at Endless Space 1. :(

0Send private message
7 years ago
Apr 4, 2017, 5:14:59 PM

Yes, indeed.  The great background, however, with less description. I think the faction mission story is not enough for this background.  Encyclopaedia is necessary.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Apr 7, 2017, 10:09:54 AM

Actualy, even Wiki pages are not fully updated about game contents and mechanics. So I doubt an encyclopaedia could work better.

At least, wiki pages should be updated first. Then add some details about universe in actual wiki.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Apr 8, 2017, 3:17:34 PM

I mentioned it in one of my own idea posts, but I would really want a breakdown of the differences between faction ship wise, when we had updates for united empire, horatio, and riftborn, they mentioned the unique attributes of the ships, which i think would help people in designing their ships for the original alpha factions. Also gives us an idea on how each faction ships interact with each other.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Apr 11, 2017, 11:03:21 PM

As far as I know achievements will be implemented on full release. I think the encyclopedia would be great if will be in game option to read about. Just like in Civilization 5 or 6 where they have historical description of races, wonder, and technologies.

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message

Nice to have

The NICE TO HAVE status is given by the dev team to ideas they would like to have in the game.

Dagart

DEV Dagart

status updated 7 years ago

The status of this idea has been changed to NICE TO HAVE as it we hope to implement it in our game.

we should work on that, and we have a few ideas. stay tuned!

0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
Nov 27, 2017, 6:36:04 AM

Not only would this be nice, but it would be great if it also had the features of in-game help (like if you turned off the guide, and then had an event for which you suspect the guide would've had something useful to say...like discovering guardians...).

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jan 16, 2018, 5:10:50 PM

Simply gathering all information about the universe in one place in general would be amazing. Perhaps similar to the Mass Effect game's codexes or what they were called? I adore the Endless games in terms of aesthetics, and it would be a universe I wouldn't mind roleplaying in, but it becomes difficult when all the lore, let's say, is scattered.

Would be nice to see some short descriptions on how the different cultures actually work given that many of them are beyond what is easily understandable. Thinking about the Horatio, Riftborn, Vodyani and Unfallen in perticular.

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jan 18, 2018, 7:31:26 PM

Great fabulous galaxy. In very very old times controlled by Elder race.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment