Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space is a turn-based 4X strategy game, covering the space colonization age in the ENDLESS™ Universe. You control every aspect of your civilization as you strive for galactic dominion.

How do I use warp drives?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 9:23:08 PM
Actually i think that it's a pathfinding issue. I've had a system which produces ships, sometimes it would take the none lane way of getting to another system ( a short 2 turn hop ) or the long way around which is greater distance ( 3 turn hop ) It really is just random i think.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 2:28:24 PM
joxang wrote:
Maybe it automagically picks the shortest route (time-wise)?

Haven't seen any ships use warp despite lots of trying smiley: frown.

If thats true then its buggy as heck right now, vote forcewarp button or keystroke.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 3:13:35 PM
It would be nice if one of the developers could confirm that worm hole travel is indeed and works.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 6:36:26 PM
As Stilgar says, wormholes work just fine when you've researched "Casimir's effect" (I think it's called that anyway). Warp drives also seem to work, at least I see the AI use them regularly.....
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 7:23:15 PM
I have the same problem as the OP--I can't seem to get warp drives to work (although wormholes work fine after the Casimir research path).
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 7:41:43 PM
A dev said that your ships should use the fastest method of travel. So they should use warp drive if it's faster than using the lanes.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 7:41:56 PM
Speaking of worm holes, I also don't know how to get them to work. How do they even look like? Cus I don't have a clue.......

And yes I have researched the right techs.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 7:51:06 PM
hardcore_gamer wrote:
Speaking of worm holes, I also don't know how to get them to work. How do they even look like? Cus I don't have a clue.......

And yes I have researched the right techs.

They are like wavy lines that some say looks like DNA. Also If you google "Casimir effect" you get a rough idea as well smiley: smile.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 8:23:13 PM
Some images of a working warp drive:

For reference:

I had researched Applied Casimir Effect and used a Worm Hole previously in the game

I had researched Atmospheric Filtration, which provides the Warp Drive improvement

This is the first use of the Warp Drive in this game

The fleet had 6 standard movement points available to it

The fleet had 5 warp movement points available to it

It would be approximately 15 movement points had the fleet taken the string route

It would appear that the warp route will take 2 turns to complete, whereas the string route would have taken 2.5 - 3 turns, depending on the 15 point approximation.

I hope this helps anyone looking to use the warp drive smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 1:31:22 PM
Maybe it automagically picks the shortest route (time-wise)?

Haven't seen any ships use warp despite lots of trying smiley: frown.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 9:36:56 PM
kazi wrote:
Your problem may be that you are trying to move into someone elses zone of influence. Try declaring war on them, THEN moving.

^^^ Pretty sure it's this, although if he hasn't met them, I dont think he cant declare war. Might have to push your nearest system's influence into that area first. Or find another way around, I doubt there are no lanes or uncontrolled spaces linking them

Worm Holes and Warp Drives are working for me. In my current game, some system travel lanes were blocked by other civs zone of control, and the pathfinding was able to automatically Warp Drive to systems on the opposite side of the civ. Working as intended as far as I can tell.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 5, 2013, 5:48:52 PM
Instead of creating a new thread, I found this one. When I research some movement tech, I noticed there are blue and green Fleet Movement arrows. I also notice that there two different kinds of movements, ship and fleet. Now I'm starting to see green arrows for ships only. Can someone please show an illustration from a map or some kind of drawing to clear this up for everyone?

0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 5, 2013, 6:22:17 PM
Okay, I can't draw you a picture, but I can try to explain it to you.

It's basically a two-dimensional answer.

Colour:

If the colour is blue, the corresponding number applies to normal movement on lanes connecting star systems, only.

If the colour is green, the corresponding number applies to warp-drive movement off lanes, only.

Target:

If the target is "on ship", only the ship you build this stuff into is affected by the increment in movement speed.

If the target is "on fleet", any ship in the fleet you put the ship in will get this bonus in addition (yes, this stacks).

If the target is "on empire", all ships of your empire get the increase. That happens in the techtree, most often.

I hope this helps. smiley: wink
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 5, 2013, 6:25:33 PM
I just found out by doing more searching, and I have no idea to enter Warp you hold the CTRL button and Right Click to your destination. This draws a straight path bypassing the regular Travel Lanes. There's got to be tons of people who don't know this. Also, what I've found is that this kind of movement is really slow. I thought it was suppose to be faster. Unless this kind of movement is made to travel across the opposite side of the galaxy so you don't have to go all the way around. Maybe that's it's purpose?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 5, 2013, 6:30:15 PM
The purpose of using the warp drive is to bypass blockaded systems the enemy has to either colonize behind his front early on or just attack directly the systems he holds most dear. So opening up new frontiers, mostly.

And it is supposed to be slower than lane-travel. Otherwise, what would the advantage of traveling on lanes be? smiley: wink
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 5, 2013, 6:51:01 PM
Also this means you can specialize fleets into lane fleet and warp fleets. Warp fleets will normally be a bit weaker since the engines take a lot of tonnage. But being able to send a fleet int he enemy rear and take out key systems, not instantly with troops could cripple your enemy even if his fleets are stronger then yours.

A lot of people just build fleets with big ships only in them thus they are very powerful but take a lot of time to build and replace. But a player with weaker but more numerous fleets could over come this obstacle by bypassing. Sadly not many people use much strategy in this game. They just send their big juggernauts to slug it out with the enemy and hope that theirs come out on top.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 5, 2013, 9:50:01 PM
Is there any difference in adding the Engine Modules to certain ships? I've always put Engines and Repair Modules on all my ships. I like being able to go anywhere. Ya it make cost a lot, but that's what specialty systems are for IMO.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 6, 2013, 1:18:37 PM
Haven't read through this entire thead, but if you hold down CTRL your ship will take the 'direct' route to the target planet, which will often engage warp drive (will still use string if faster).
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 12:07:57 PM
And did you try to jump from a wormhole end to another to enter a new constellation?

Am wondering whether warp drives work only within constellations actually.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message